Louisiana Derby (G2) - 03/24/18

Re: Louisiana Derby (G2) - 03/24/18

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:51 pm

Tom Ryan @TomRyanKY
10m10 minutes ago
A remarkable first crop for TAKE CHARGE INDY, 6 stakes winners with probable Oaks & Derby starters. Forward Gal: Take Charge Paula, Louisiana Derby: Noble Indy.. I'll be the first to admit I underestimated him. I pushed hard to sell him, now he's making me regret it. #MurphysLaw
Sparrow Castle

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:28 pm

OK, Tom, now maybe push just as hard to bring him back? :roll:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Izvestia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:47 pm

That’s why sales aren’t the best predictor for a good stallion.
Izvestia

Postby stark » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:55 am

95 BSF
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:22 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:OK, Tom, now maybe push just as hard to bring him back? :roll:

Take Charge Indy is the current leading 2nd crop sire by a wide margin. This could, of course, change as the year rolls on, but for now TCI has a remarkable 21 winners from 52 starters, 4 stakes winners (2 on the colt and filly classics trails), and over $1.5 million earned. TCI is by the proven sire of sires, A.P. Indy and out of an exceptional broodmare. If they don't try everything possible to bring him back, they are stupid.
Ridan_Remembered

Postby Catalina » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:25 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:OK, Tom, now maybe push just as hard to bring him back? :roll:

Take Charge Indy is the current leading 2nd crop sire by a wide margin. This could, of course, change as the year rolls on, but for now TCI has a remarkable 21 winners from 52 starters, 4 stakes winners (2 on the colt and filly classics trails), and over $1.5 million earned. TCI is by the proven sire of sires, A.P. Indy and out of an exceptional broodmare. If they don't try everything possible to bring him back, they are stupid.

He'll now cost a great deal more than they got when the sold him, so I figure they'll probably opt for being stupid.
Catalina

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:01 pm

Catalina wrote:
Ridan_Remembered wrote:

He'll now cost a great deal more than they got when the sold him, so I figure they'll probably opt for being stupid.

Which would be unfortunate since TCI's first crop suggests he could be an elite stallion with the potential to earn many millions more than the cost to bring him home.
Ridan_Remembered

Postby Private Thoughts » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:12 pm

Many of these farms don't have any patience with young stallions and want a quick buck, only to regret it later. I hope they bring him back home, but like others said it will cost more money, but that is the price you pay for jumping the gun on him. Perhaps another Kentucky breeding farm will try and snag him.
Private Thoughts

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:13 pm

South Korea has been buying US stallions since at least 2002 when Distilled and Buster's Daydream were exported, followed by Yankee Victor (2005), Menifee (2006), Forest Camp and Pico Central in 2007, and Peace Rules (2009)
The KRA really got serious by 2010, when it bought Officer (2010), Whywhywhy (2011), then Chapel Royal and Rock Hard Ten (2012). They were followed by Hansen (2013), Any Given Saturday and Tiz Wonderful (2014), Bob and John, Musket Man, Colonel John and Take Charge Indy (2016), and most recently by Archarcharch, Girolamo and Tizway (2017).
I may have missed some but, dang, that's already a long list. :(
The sad thing is that it's like these stallions have dropped into a black hole. I presume Korea's been breeding those stallions, but where are the offspring? Are they being bred to mares of any quality? Are they racing anywhere?
When stallions are exported to places like England, France, Ireland or Japan, you know they are headed to established breeding operations with good broodmares. We will see their foals race or show up at sales.
I feel like the above stallions are being used to TRY to create some decent TB stock in Korea, an experiment that might be a worthwhile goal for the country's apparently-fledgling racing industry, but...
Without being supported by the class of mares they would get in Kentucky or other established racing countries, those exported stallions may never have any more high quality offspring. It's a shame that there could be no more Selcourts or Rayyas (Tiz Wonderful) or Noble Indys or Take Charge Paulas (Take Charge Indy). :roll: :evil:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Catalina » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:41 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:
Catalina wrote:
Ridan_Remembered wrote:

Which would be unfortunate since TCI's first crop suggests he could be an elite stallion with the potential to earn many millions more than the cost to bring him home.

Oh, I agree. But whoever wants to pursue it will need VERY deep pockets. That is assuming South Korea is willing to sell.
Catalina

PreviousNext

Return to Racing