Sol Kumin

User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4176
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:20 pm

To answer those questions accurately you'd need more information than what we currently have on hand, I think. V might have some interesting insights?
And of course, the answer would vary anyway, depending on the accountant as stark said, or your CEO and racing managers, heh.

But what I mean by missing info is for example... buying into a small piece... how much money (if any) is he expected to pony up for the horse's training and upkeep? Vet care and/or treatments in the event of illness or injury? How much of the share does he get from earnings? How much does he get when selling a horse or striking a stallion deal?

On the surface it does seem like it could be a decent strategy since you're not sinking a huge chunk of money in one single horse... if something happens to said horse, you have others to fall back on, you're not putting all your eggs in the same basket, and I'm assuming that you're doing that at a fraction of the cost of buying 50 of 600k+ yearlings or 2yos in training. Likewise when something does happen to a horse he's likely not bearing the full weight of the cost on his own. He might not be making a ton of money but I don't know if he's losing a ton either. (And quite frankly it's difficult to know without knowing the full details of his arrangements). I mean from a stock market perspective would you invest everything you have in a single thing or company? Or would you invest in gold, streaming, luxury tech etc. and within those, are you gonna for example just buy a lot of Apple shares or are you gonna get a few of those as well as Amazon, Netflix, Google, Sony, Samsung etc.?

It's highly possible that if he does this primarily for the thrill of the winner's circle it doesn't even matter to him if he doesn't do much beyond break even to continue investing in this expensive hobby. You'd have to ask him what his endgame is.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
stark
Posts: 3968
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:34 am

thinair wrote:There's one person that's happy, that's for sure. The shocking thing is that he's not in that picture.
Waited patiently, so who is it, we've just got to know!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Horsebagger
Posts: 1925
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:10 am

stark wrote:
thinair wrote:There's one person that's happy, that's for sure. The shocking thing is that he's not in that picture.
Waited patiently, so who is it, we've just got to know!

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ku ... e-justify/


Track the narcissistic promotional photos in the next 5 weeks on Twitter and Instagram and it becomes more obvious.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4726
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:43 pm

I'd guess that it's "that guy" who recently was not mentioned in another thread except, Horsebagger, you didn't mention YouTube. ^^^

Didn't realize the partners bought in on this one too...must have been sometime last summer.

Amy Zimmerman @NeverSettleTV
26m26 minutes ago
Another racing day, another San Luis Rey Downs fire survivor winner. Kenjisstorm gets it done in his first race back since the Lilac Fire, winning race 4 @santaanitapark #SLRDStrong

Santa Anita: Kenjisstorm wins comeback
Kenjisstorm, in his first start for trainer Phil D'Amato, won an allowance race with a $75,000 claiming option in Thursday's fourth race.

Ridden by Flavien Prat, Kenjisstorm ($9) stalked the pace to the turn and pulled clear in the stretch to win by 2 1-4 lengths over the graded stakes winner Free Rose.

Kenjisstorm ran a mile on turf in 1:33.94. Thursday's race was Kenjisstorm's first start since a fourth in the Grade 2 Eddie Read Stakes at Del Mar last July. A 6-year-old horse, Kenjisstorm was previously trained by Richard Baltas, who trains Free Rose.

Kenjisstorm, who has won 5 of 29 starts, races for a partnership that includes Head of Plains Partners and KM Racing Enterprises.
http://live.drf.com/nuggets/41460-santa ... s-comeback

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 18USA4.pdf
User avatar
Squeaky
Posts: 731
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:24 pm

Still very cryptic...what is the name of the person we are talking about?
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4726
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:19 pm

zoecadman Retweeted
Bradley Weisbord @BradWeisbord
4h4 hours ago
Bradley Weisbord Retweeted Sue Morris Finley
G2W/G1P UNI breezed Head and Head with G3W Elysea’s World. Both Fillies targeting @TheNYRA races in April for the Kumin/Brown duo. The content on @WatchXBTV is flat out awesome. @iradortiz @jjcjockey

Sue Morris Finley @suefinley
Love watching these @WatchXBTV workouts on the @theTDN website.
Image
stark
Posts: 3968
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:35 pm

on a somewhat related note from Little Red Feather's Billy Koch.....

LRF Racing Club
‏@lrfracing

LRF is excited to announce we have acquired an interest in Justify, Mendelssohn, Bolt d'Oro, Good Magic and Magnum Moon in a multi-million dollar package. Syndication to follow. @DRFPrivman @raypaulick #afd
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
thinair
Posts: 1615
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:36 pm

stark wrote:on a somewhat related note from Little Red Feather's Billy Koch.....

LRF Racing Club
‏@lrfracing

LRF is excited to announce we have acquired an interest in Justify, Mendelssohn, Bolt d'Oro, Good Magic and Magnum Moon in a multi-million dollar package. Syndication to follow. @DRFPrivman @raypaulick #afd
I haven't seen this nonsense until now but today is April 1st....right?

So even syndicates are now making fun of Sol ( who is a friend of mine....though I make fun of him too )?
stark
Posts: 3968
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:39 pm

thinair wrote:
stark wrote:on a somewhat related note from Little Red Feather's Billy Koch.....

LRF Racing Club
‏@lrfracing

LRF is excited to announce we have acquired an interest in Justify, Mendelssohn, Bolt d'Oro, Good Magic and Magnum Moon in a multi-million dollar package. Syndication to follow. @DRFPrivman @raypaulick #afd
I haven't seen this nonsense until now but today is April 1st....right?

So even syndicates are now making fun of Sol ( who is a friend of mine....though I make fun of him too )?
You're just too damn smart for this game!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
Posts: 3968
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:50 pm

Kumin Sends out Trio in Search of Derby Glory

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... erby-glory
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
Posts: 3968
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:45 am

Horsebagger wrote:Two questions.....

1 - Is he genuinely making money with this buying into a minority piece of horses in training strategy? Seems to have a piece of something in every big stake. And a lot of non-stakes horses as well in NY. Buying into Justify has to have cost a lot, right?

2 - Does he even care or is he happy with the winner's circle photo collection he's garnered?
“To me, and the couple guys that I do this with, it’s more fun to be in the winner’s circle when Justify wins the Derby holding the trophy,” said Sol Kumin, a hedge fund executive who runs Head of Plains. “So you kind of have to pick. If this became my full-time job, which it won’t, I would have a different program, focusing more on the stallion business and breeding. Now we still want to make money, and so far we’ve done well, but it’s hard.”
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Horsebagger
Posts: 1925
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:03 am

stark wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:Two questions.....

1 - Is he genuinely making money with this buying into a minority piece of horses in training strategy? Seems to have a piece of something in every big stake. And a lot of non-stakes horses as well in NY. Buying into Justify has to have cost a lot, right?

2 - Does he even care or is he happy with the winner's circle photo collection he's garnered?
“To me, and the couple guys that I do this with, it’s more fun to be in the winner’s circle when Justify wins the Derby holding the trophy,” said Sol Kumin, a hedge fund executive who runs Head of Plains. “So you kind of have to pick. If this became my full-time job, which it won’t, I would have a different program, focusing more on the stallion business and breeding. Now we still want to make money, and so far we’ve done well, but it’s hard.”
So the translation relative to the answers to my questions likely appear to be:

1 - NO
2 - YES
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4726
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:47 pm

Another purchase, another stable name...

Madaket Stables Buys into Midnight Bisou
Madaket Stables of Sol Kumin has purchased a minority interest in Grade I winner Midnight Bisou (Midnight Lute), it was announced Monday. The GI Santa Anita Oaks winner will race under the ownership of Bloom Racing Stable, Madaket Stables and Allen Racing LLC when she runs in the GII Mother Goose S. for trainer Steve Asmussen Saturday.
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ma ... ight-bisou
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 3831
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:07 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Another purchase, another stable name...

Madaket Stables Buys into Midnight Bisou
Madaket Stables of Sol Kumin has purchased a minority interest in Grade I winner Midnight Bisou (Midnight Lute), it was announced Monday. The GI Santa Anita Oaks winner will race under the ownership of Bloom Racing Stable, Madaket Stables and Allen Racing LLC when she runs in the GII Mother Goose S. for trainer Steve Asmussen Saturday.
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ma ... ight-bisou
Madaket Stables is not new. He's been using it since at least 2016. That partnership co-owns or co-owned Ascend, Bowies Hero, A Raving Beauty (GER), Mia Mischief, Long On Value, Ivy Bell, Ballagh Rocks, Hawkish, La Signare (FR), Ezmosh, Fanciful Angel (IRE) and Catholic Boy, among others.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4726
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:25 pm

mariasmon wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:Another purchase, another stable name...

Madaket Stables Buys into Midnight Bisou
Madaket Stables of Sol Kumin has purchased a minority interest in Grade I winner Midnight Bisou (Midnight Lute), it was announced Monday. The GI Santa Anita Oaks winner will race under the ownership of Bloom Racing Stable, Madaket Stables and Allen Racing LLC when she runs in the GII Mother Goose S. for trainer Steve Asmussen Saturday.
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/ma ... ight-bisou
Madaket Stables is not new. He's been using it since at least 2016. That partnership co-owns or co-owned Ascend, Bowies Hero, A Raving Beauty (GER), Mia Mischief, Long On Value, Ivy Bell, Ballagh Rocks, Hawkish, La Signare (FR), Ezmosh, Fanciful Angel (IRE) and Catholic Boy, among others.
Thanks. I guess I should be writing them down. Can't keep track of all of his stable names from memory.
User avatar
Squeaky
Posts: 731
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:13 pm

He names them after places in Nantucket where he has a large summer home.
stark
Posts: 3968
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:22 pm

Good interview with Sol from a couple weeks ago, starts at the 25 minute mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6skSc67fRDQ
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Post Reply