Sol Kumin

Sol Kumin

Postby Horsebagger » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:31 pm

Two questions.....

1 - Is he genuinely making money with this buying into a minority piece of horses in training strategy? Seems to have a piece of something in every big stake. And a lot of non-stakes horses as well in NY. Buying into Justify has to have cost a lot, right?

2 - Does he even care or is he happy with the winner's circle photo collection he's garnered?
Horsebagger

Re: Sol Kumin

Postby ThreeMustangs » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:38 am

I think he’s going to be deliriously happy when he gets the check from Lady Eli’s sale at auction. Between that and her racing earnings, he hit it out of the ballpark. That’s gotta go a long way to cover the not-so-successful buy-ins.
ThreeMustangs

Postby stark » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:07 am

Question one....is he genuinely making any money? You could ask this about any owner at the top of the game and get mixed answers depending on their accountant, no doubt he needs some write-offs and is still figuring out the new tax laws.

Question two...does he care or is he happy?
He sure appears to be happy.

But what an odd question in the first place, asking us to judge one individual. It's way above my pay grade here. I can tell you this tho' we're missing a few opinions from the likes of Quiet Chris, Sombalist and Dustino, any of those three would be good at answering your questions if nobody else can, let's put a call out to them.

You know as well as anybody that hobbies don't always show a profit, sometimes it really is just about the memory, the winners circle picture and the peppermint treats.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby thinair » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:21 am

There's one person that's happy, that's for sure. The shocking thing is that he's not in that picture.
thinair

Postby Horsebagger » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:31 am

thinair wrote:There's one person that's happy, that's for sure. The shocking thing is that he's not in that picture.

agreed. Must be posing with the winning jock in another photo. Or maybe Flay was nearby.

Just as shocking is Stark thinking Quiet Chris can add anything of value to this conversation.
Horsebagger

Postby stark » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:43 am

Well, you've racked up 130+ views and got one cryptic insider response. Chris or som or dusty we're all much more direct and free with their opinions of others. Curious, why do you ask?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Horsebagger » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:52 am

stark wrote:Well, you've racked up 130+ views and got one cryptic insider response. Chris or som or dusty we're all much more direct and free with their opinions of others. Curious, why do you ask?

Simply being in the midst of currently trying to make money in this sport, beyond hoping for lightning striking. Doubt QC is the one with the answers, but maybe someone else here has some thoughts. Thanks for yours, as maybe changing accountants might be the answer.

BTW, never once made a post looking to set records with the 'number of views'.
Horsebagger

Postby Tessablue » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:17 pm

Yes, what a shame that Chris isn't around to bless this thread with his astonishing ignorance and virulent racism.

I won't pretend to know anything about ownership, but I wonder how much his early buy-in of Exaggerator influenced his strategy. That one pretty much had to be profitable, right?
Tessablue

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:16 pm

I'm not familiar with what Sol Kumin looks like, so in that group of very happy men in the above photo, which man is Sol? Thanks.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Ballerina » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:37 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I'm not familiar with what Sol Kumin looks like, so in that group of very happy men in the above photo, which man is Sol? Thanks.

The one in the middle (young, dark hair) holding the trophy.
Ballerina

Next

Return to Racing