Justify

katmandu

Wed May 16, 2018 2:44 am

That picture really demonstrates the amount of stress/shock absorption a horse's fetlocks/sesamoids have placed on them in full flight.
CoronadosQuest

Wed May 16, 2018 8:20 am

Has anybody measured Justify's stride angle? I don't have a protractor so I can't LOL
Kurenai
Site Admin

Wed May 16, 2018 8:30 am

I can remember someone did and they said it was bigger than Secretariats (saying that: stride length isn't all, it's also how they use it, how fast they use it, how big the heart is etc).
MySaladDays

Wed May 16, 2018 8:49 am

What % chance that the new shoe may get "sucked" into the mud and fall off, that is all that worries me

Justify's new shoes

https://hoofcare.blogspot.com/2018/05/h ... -hoof.html
stark

Wed May 16, 2018 10:38 am

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Ballerina

Wed May 16, 2018 10:41 am

Squeaky

Wed May 16, 2018 11:48 am

Anyone know if J has been galloping yesterday and today.. no news reports since everyone st Pimlico now.
MySaladDays

Wed May 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Kurenai wrote:I can remember someone did and they said it was bigger than Secretariats (saying that: stride length isn't all, it's also how they use it, how fast they use it, how big the heart is etc).
yes, stride has to be effficient, not just big, and of course, that is based on many other physical factors in conformation.

Zarkava wingspan: (one of my all time favorite mares):

Secretariat wingspan:

Cheetah: :lol: (clearly one of top athletes in natural world)

If just measuring stride angle, Zarkava had a higher number, but being a female, probably not the "power" behind it. Again, there are a lot of variables beside stride length.

Secretariat at 110 degrees. Barbaro at around 105 degrees.

After looking at the cheetah was thinking there is no way in heck that anything on the planet, at least on the ground, could outrun this cat. I guess you see one coming for ya, may as well just sit down. :lol:
BaroqueAgain1

Wed May 16, 2018 2:48 pm

Great photos, MSD, and the hoof article was really interesting and informative.
Zarkava's stride seems unusual in that pic, almost like she was jumping a shadow on the track. Her pose reminds me of old paintings of racehorses where all the legs were extended and off the ground.
FlyToTheStars

Wed May 16, 2018 3:16 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Great photos, MSD, and the hoof article was really interesting and informative.
Zarkava's stride seems unusual in that pic, almost like she was jumping a shadow on the track. Her pose reminds me of old paintings of racehorses where all the legs were extended and off the ground.
I do recall an article somewhere with the same picture stating she was jumping a shadow. But yes, I agree, it is like old painting right there in action!
Delamont

Wed May 16, 2018 3:19 pm

Exactly! Very cool.
MySaladDays

Wed May 16, 2018 3:33 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Great photos, MSD, and the hoof article was really interesting and informative.
Truly, the unsung heroes of equine sports, the blacksmiths and hi tech shoers.....amazing artistry, really.
Treve

Wed May 16, 2018 3:43 pm

One thing about Justify that is interesting is for as wide a span he might have he doesn't seem to have a lot of hind engagement, relatively speaking. And yet seeing how good he is now, it terrifies me to think what he could be like when he figures out how to reach with his hind and propel himself to the maximum from the back.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
BaroqueAgain1

Wed May 16, 2018 3:43 pm

IIRC, it was a farrier who greatly contributed to 'Chrome's 2014 winning streak, when he applied glue-on shoes to the colt's not-hard-as-steel hooves. ;)
Treve

Wed May 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Well Big Brown's feet were a hot mess. I remember as an equestrian I somewhat cringed at the idea of him winning the TC cause I was concerned about him siring 100s of crap-footed future OTTBs :lol:
It was amazing really how well his feet held together through that TC campaign in spite of practically having to rebuild his hoof almost entirely from scratch.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Ballerina

Wed May 16, 2018 4:12 pm

Treve wrote:Well Big Brown's feet were a hot mess. I remember as an equestrian I somewhat cringed at the idea of him winning the TC cause I was concerned about him siring 100s of crap-footed future OTTBs :lol:
It was amazing really how well his feet held together through that TC campaign in spite of practically having to rebuild his hoof almost entirely from scratch.
I love this horse with a passion, but knowing his foot problem and that of his sire, I cringe at those who are brave/stupid enough to have bred to him. I think Dortmund also had hoof problems. What a stinkin' shame. But for the foot problem, I can only guess how good Big Brown would have been.
Treve

Wed May 16, 2018 4:34 pm

Ballerina wrote:
Treve wrote:Well Big Brown's feet were a hot mess. I remember as an equestrian I somewhat cringed at the idea of him winning the TC cause I was concerned about him siring 100s of crap-footed future OTTBs :lol:
I love this horse with a passion, but knowing his foot problem and that of his sire, I cringe at those who are brave/stupid enough to have bred to him. I think Dortmund also had hoof problems. What a stinkin' shame. But for the foot problem, I can only guess how good Big Brown would have been.
gotta have a mare who can go barefoot, with a pedigree behind her of horses who can go barefoot if you want to take the gamble I guess.
Always admired Sheila Varian's philosophy on this, she believed in the old tenet "no hoof no horse" till she died and it was one of the golden rules of her arabian breeding program for decades. If a stud or a mare couldn't work barefoot, even on her dry, rocky California property, then she didn't breed them.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

BaroqueAgain1

Wed May 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Big Brown may have been happiest running on the grass, which could have been kinder to his feet. I remember his return after the post-TC layoff winning a turf stakes (written for him at Monmouth, IIRC) and he just bounded over the grass running down the stretch. If ever a horse 'ran happy,' it was BB in that race. :D
He shuttled to Australia for a year or more, and I wonder how his offspring did being strictly grass horses?
Ballerina

Wed May 16, 2018 4:49 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Big Brown may have been happiest running on the grass, which could have been kinder to his feet. I remember his return after the post-TC layoff winning a turf stakes (written for him at Monmouth, IIRC) and he just bounded over the grass running down the stretch. If ever a horse 'ran happy,' it was BB in that race. :D
He shuttled to Australia for a year or more, and I wonder how his offspring did being strictly grass horses?
The original intent was to run him on the turf. His first race was on turf, and he ran away with it. His 2nd race was supposed to be on turf, but it was switched to dirt. He did so well, it was like a CIGAR moment.
stark

Wed May 16, 2018 8:04 pm

Jay Privman
‏@DRFPrivman

Justify had his left hind shoe three-quartered following the Derby to address the irritation there but already he has been re-shod in a conventional shoe for the Preakness on Saturday, per Baffert.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.