Justify

honneerider

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Do I understand they are not doing scans/tests immediately?
Personal Ensign

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Izvestia Justify isn't the only undefeated triple crown winner, Seattle Slew was undefeated as well. Justify is the only undefeated triple crown winner that didn't race as a 2 year old and is the only undefeated triple crown winner still living.
Izvestia wrote:Surprise!!!
Not.

Reasons for this:
1) running the snot out of him from Feb to June, with no 2-year-old campaign foundation.
2) he was always a “little bit” off after the Derby and Preakness... with scratches...
3) he’s valuable as eff.
4) only undefeated Triple Crown winner in the history of NA racing is a great slogan.
5) they don’t make ‘em like they used to, the industry loves these flashy, lightly raced horses.

So, can we move on to the next Big horse?
Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
W. C. Fields

-Formerly LadyWeaver-
Catalina

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:43 pm

stark wrote:
Kurenai wrote:Aaaaand this is why I wanted to see him get some vacation at Winstar. Not talking about the filling, talking about him losing weight. I really don't get why they didn't send him there after the TC.
As I understood it, his trainer said that he was the kind of horse who thrived on training and being competitive, that he was not the kind of horse who would be easy to stop on for R&R then restart the training regimen all over again.
That, I think, comes closest to the truth. Remember Arrogate who they eventually elected not to persevere on because he "lost interest in racing", after a fairly short racing career. No doubt it helps that both Arrogate as well as Justified had a stellar value as a stallions, which could only go down if they started losing.
Last edited by Catalina on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:44 pm

Treve wrote:
Ballerina wrote:Filling, from what I've read, can be a result of inactivity especially in a high functioning horse like Justify. It can also be the result of a deep seated injury or infection diagnosed by hi-tech imaging. It is not career ending or life threatening. I do believe Justify will run again. He just won't be coming to Saratoga. :-(
This is only true if the filling is there when you are taking the horse out of the stall. This type of swelling or filling will disappear within minutes of warming up the horse. (And why as Kurenai pointed out, it would be far more beneficial for the horses to be out and moving about even just hand grazing throughout the day than being cooped up in a stall) If what they say is accurate, the filling appeared AFTER his work outs which is why it is concerning (can be indicative of a limb that is not 100% and therefore handling the stress of working/being down poorly).
Thank you Treve :)
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:46 pm

Maybe Izvestia meant that Justify would be an undefeated TC winner if he retired right now, and never had a defeat on his record?
IIRC, Seattle Slew, who continued to race after the TC, did not retire undefeated.
Ballerina

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Treve wrote:
Ballerina wrote:Filling, from what I've read, can be a result of inactivity especially in a high functioning horse like Justify. It can also be the result of a deep seated injury or infection diagnosed by hi-tech imaging. It is not career ending or life threatening. I do believe Justify will run again. He just won't be coming to Saratoga. :-(
This is only true if the filling is there when you are taking the horse out of the stall. This type of swelling or filling will disappear within minutes of warming up the horse. (And why as Kurenai pointed out, it would be far more beneficial for the horses to be out and moving about even just hand grazing throughout the day than being cooped up in a stall) If what they say is accurate, the filling appeared AFTER his work outs which is why it is concerning (can be indicative of a limb that is not 100% and therefore handling the stress of working/being down poorly).
I also wrote it could be a result of injury. Jeez!
Ballerina

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:28 pm

Barnum - I mean Baffert is good at PR

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/43620-justi ... er-baffert
Ballerina

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:28 pm

Barnum - I mean Baffert is good at PR

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/43620-justi ... er-baffert
Ballerina

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:37 pm

Oh, and the losing weight bit (in case you skipped over the post I posted). Zoe Cadman reported yesterday that Justify weighed in at 1271 lbs. 2 lbs. more than he weighed before the Belmont. Fast weight loss recovery.

https://twitter.com/zoecadman/status/10 ... 48/video/1
katmandu

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:07 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:
Ballerina wrote:Weighing in at 1271 lbs. this morning - 3 lbs. more than when he ran the Belmont.

https://twitter.com/zoecadman/status/10 ... 48/video/1
Knew the "he's lost weight" story from last week was horse puckey.
Baffert had bragged after the Belmont that he'd lost none and was thriving, then after weeks of no plans for a race, suddenly he's light. And now he weighs more again.....
This week it's an ankle.....
Treve

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:29 pm

Ballerina wrote:
Treve wrote:
I also wrote it could be a result of injury. Jeez!
Absolutely! I was just pointing out why the first option was unlikely and why I highlighted that part instead of trimming it :) .
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Izvestia

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:42 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Maybe Izvestia meant that Justify would be an undefeated TC winner if he retired right now, and never had a defeat on his record?
IIRC, Seattle Slew, who continued to race after the TC, did not retire undefeated.
THAT ^ is what I meant.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 am

Ballerina wrote: I also wrote it could be a result of injury. Jeez!
Actually nobody disagrees with you! :lol: I only thanked Treve cause she explained further. Great if the weight loss thing isn't true! And yes, I do hope that we get to see him race again. The timing is just really bad unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that all (!) of this could have been prevented if he had some vacation. That was just regarding the weight loss and it's good that that didn't turn out to be true. With time off: If it's an undetected underlying problem, that problem would have still showed up once he resumed training.

I just wish they would have given him some time with lots of walking (no not the shed row). It does all kind of good things to a horse. Faster healing of pre existing minor injuries, strains from racing and generally all around, better blood flow, exercise without straining, better for the whole gastro tract, good for the mind etc. And yeah I know this is old school, but that's how horses are designed by nature. It's the way I learned and from my experience the results are great. And yes I know, it's unpractical in the routine of a racing stable and usually not done (especially if it's a big stable, there's just not enough people to do that).

It's - again from my experience with training race horses - just puzzling to me, why some trainers are not into that. 23 hours in a stall isn't good for a horse at all. I wish I could ask Baffert about this and his reasoning. Will never happen, so I continue to be puzzled by it. :lol:
Ballerina

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:56 am

Kurenai wrote:
Ballerina wrote: I also wrote it could be a result of injury. Jeez!
Actually nobody disagrees with you! :lol: I only thanked Treve cause she explained further. Great if the weight loss thing isn't true! And yes, I do hope that we get to see him race again. The timing is just really bad unfortunately.

"nobody disagrees with" me? That's a first. LOL!

I don't know what the heck is going on with Justy. It could be one great big PR game. Time will tell. I just can't believe he won't race again. Oh, and by the way Treve is a he. ;)
Treve

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:16 pm

I am a she...
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Della

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:22 pm

Ballerina wrote: Oh, and by the way Treve is a he. ;)
Why does it really matter on a forum about s/he?
Ballerina

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:37 pm

Treve wrote:I am a she...
Ok - Treve the horse is a she. Treve the poster is a he. It doesn't matter, Della. But I've had some conversations with Treve, and I always "assumed" Treve the poster to be a he.
Treve

Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:40 pm

Ballerina wrote:
Ok - Treve the horse is a she. Treve the poster is a he. It doesn't matter, Della. But I've had some conversations with Treve, and I always "assumed" Treve the poster to be a he.
I think it's respectful of Ballerina to want to get my gender right, after all some people don't appreciate being referred to as the opposite sex (first time assumptions not withstanding)! Might not matter much to you Della, and maybe it doesn't matter much on a horse racing forum, although personally I think it's nice to get an idea of the demographic.
As a young woman I do find it encouraging when I see other women actively interested, engaged or working in the racing industry.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Ballerina

Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:51 pm

Treve wrote:
Ballerina wrote:
I think it's respectful of Ballerina to want to get my gender right, after all some people don't appreciate being referred to as the opposite sex (first time assumptions not withstanding)! Might not matter much to you Della, and maybe it doesn't matter much on a horse racing forum, although personally I think it's nice to get an idea of the demographic.
As a young woman I do find it encouraging when I see other women actively interested, engaged or working in the racing industry.
Well, I am shocked that I never picked up on this. I don't have to know someone's name, but not knowing or guessing someone's gender can become bit disconcerting when in error - like now. :D
Della

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:20 pm

Treve wrote:
Ballerina wrote:
Treve, I did not mean to come across as dismissive of you, and I apologize for conveying that. Treve was/is one of my favorite racehorses - such heart - and I always enjoy your knowledgeable posts.