Justify

Re: Justify

Postby Diver52 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:13 am

I didn't get the poster, but Justify looked spectacular. He's grown into his reputation. I was there for the SA Derby and he's a lot more horse now. :shock:
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby stark » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:17 am

worth repeating from todays LATimes newsletter.....

I’ve often lauded the ambassadors that trainer Bob Baffert and Smith are for the sport. But here’s what Ed Golden, who writes the stables notes for Santa Anita’s publicity department, reported from Clockers’ Corner on Saturday morning.

“Two new faces among the crowd were a husband and wife from La Palma, which borders Orange County and Los Angeles County, some 32 miles and 36 minutes from Arcadia,” Golden wrote.

“It was their first visit to a racetrack, and they came to see Justify. The man, who happened to be an amputee, was in a wheelchair, while the woman sat at a table nearby, both like children on Christmas morning, absorbing Santa Anita’s singular atmosphere in wide-eyed wonderment.

“When Justify’s trainer, the readily recognizable Bob Baffert, happened to appear, the man asked if he would join them for a photo. Baffert complied. The couple was overjoyed.

“Thanks to Baffert’s act of kindness, the two first-time racetrackers are likely to return again and again, and at a time when racing needs all the goodwill and live bodies it can get, it was a gesture that serves the game well.”

I’ve said it before, but I’ve never seen Baffert say “no” to a request from race fans. And he’s the biggest name in the sport. Try that in any other sport.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-s ... e-81971101
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Big Ten » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:26 am

Note from the moderator/admin: Deleted due to Copyright infringement. No posting of whole articles and hotlinking to an image on another website.
Rock Hard Ten. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. California Chrome. Seattle Slew. Secretariat. Affirmed.
Big Ten

Postby stark » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:19 am

Jogging strong @ SantaAnita this morning...

https://twitter.com/zoecadman/status/10 ... 9232363521
stark

Postby Diver52 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:59 pm

I know Justify started out in some other trainer's barn, but I don't know whether that was always just a "starting out" assignment or whether he was transferred to Baffert only when he looked like something special. Anyone can clarify?
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby tcw » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:50 am

Diver52 wrote:I know Justify started out in some other trainer's barn, but I don't know whether that was always just a "starting out" assignment or whether he was transferred to Baffert only when he looked like something special. Anyone can clarify?

From the Justify (horse) Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justify_(horse) ...

He was initially sent to trainer Rodolphe Brisset at Keeneland but pulled a muscle and was given time to recover and grow into his frame.
tcw

Postby stark » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:02 am

tcw wrote:
Diver52 wrote:I know Justify started out in some other trainer's barn, but I don't know whether that was always just a "starting out" assignment or whether he was transferred to Baffert only when he looked like something special. Anyone can clarify?

From the Justify (horse) Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justify_(horse) ...

He was initially sent to trainer Rodolphe Brisset at Keeneland but pulled a muscle and was given time to recover and grow into his frame.

Brisset/Baffert, sounds similar, just different.

And it's not like Brisset came away empty handed, he got the best horse he's ever had from them, G2 winner Quip, so it all equals out in the end, sort of.
stark

Postby stark » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:01 pm

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ium=social
Almost a month after Justify's Triple Crown-clinching victory in the Belmont Stakes Presented by NYRA Bets (G1), trainer Bob Baffert is still taking it relatively easy on his undefeated superstar.

Baffert considered breezing the Scat Daddy colt this week at Santa Anita Park, but a variety of factors changed the trainer's mind, and Justify did not go to the track for any training July 5. A future race target has not been disclosed by Justify's connections.

"He's finally showing that he's a horse," Baffert said, in reference to the strain of the Triple Crown run, in which the chestnut colt won six races in 112 days. "He lightened up a bit, and we're trying to get a little weight on him. The only way to get weight back on is to back off a little. I can just tell he needs a little more time."

Record-setting heat expected in the Los Angeles area July 6-8 also played a part.

"With the heat and all of that, we've got to be a little careful," Baffert said. "There's no timeline (for his next breeze)."

Baffert said there have been positive signs from the four-time grade 1 winner around the barn, as well.

"He still looks bright," the trainer said. "If you put your arm out there, he'll try to take it away from you. As long as he's in attack mode, he's good."
stark

Postby stark » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:48 pm

I'm a big fan of happy endings, and I'm casting my ballot for retirement now.
The only way I wanted to see him in the Haskell, Travers, BCC was if everything was on a 100% easy path.

It's obvious now that there's work to be done to get him back to the races, and I just don't see the reward vs. risk.

Turning the page, next.

Thanks for the memories.
stark

Postby Old Bones » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Just posted - I am assuming this refers to a problem from last week and hoping it isn't a problem this week.
Alicia Wincze Hughes‏ @BH_AHughes · 3m3 minutes ago

Per release, Justify is going to be evaluated for some filling in his left front ankle. “Justify had some filling in his left front ankle a week ago, which subsided in a couple days,” said trainer Bob Baffert.
Old Bones

PreviousNext

Return to Racing