Justify

Treve

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:39 pm

Izvestia wrote:I have not been paying attention- when is his potential next race, or, will he race again?
At the latest news, Haskell - Travers - BCC I think.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
luvsgeldings

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:56 pm

will be interesting to see if baff takes justify to the travers.
stark

Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:17 pm

In line for Justify poster that'll be signed by Mike$mith

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Big Ten

Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:48 pm

Worth waking up early and getting this poster autographed by Mike Smith. I'm planning to frame it as well. Worth a ton many, many years from now and we all got it for free without paying parking and general admission.

Much thanks to Mike Smith. He signed for nearly 90 minutes and went beyond his one hour. Awesome guy. Like a giant sports card... 

I rarely go to Santa Anita anymore. It's my favorite racetrack in the world but it's a bit too far for me to drive to. I stick to Los Al since it's only 7 miles away. It's a beautiful day today here. Perfect temperature so far. 

Was talking to an older man with two older women (in their 60's) in line in front of me and we had a great conversation about horse racing. I told them I'm a walking YouTube replay with certain horses. I know a ton about it before my time or during. 

I saw my Uncle who turned 50 recently and who I hadn't seen in nearly five years. Good times just catching up. We kept praising how awesome Team Baffert is. We haven't been at any racetrack together in probably 8 years since Zenyatta.

Didn't know he hit a $18K Pick 4 in the 2014 Breeders' Cup. Nice score, Uncle. From a 50 cent Pick 4 that cost him about $100 to bet. Even has the autographed poster of American Pharoah with the late-Penny Chenery. Now I'm jealous. ;) 

I'm just planning to wait on Justify. He should appear in about 60-90 minutes. No gambling. Get a few snapshots of him on my two phones. Maybe video record him with my iPhone SE and then bounce. I'm mostly an Android guy but iPhones are superior with video recording.

Awesome day so far. Love Justify and it seems alot of people at Santa Anita do too. I look at Triple Crown like winning championships for the entire horse racing community. Savor the two I saw in my lifetime and appreciate our 13.
Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
luvsgeldings

Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:58 pm

heard smith talking on the local TB radio show this morning - he loves that poster and said he hopes he gets to keep a couple - I am sure they will give him as many as he wants. they said this morning they had like 4000 of them to give away.

and now lets see how many of them end up for sale on ebay. and how much they go for.
stark

Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:42 pm

Two famous horses side by side.....

barbaro111

Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:15 pm

stark wrote:Two famous horses side by side.....

great pic!!!
Retrospectiv

Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:47 pm

luvsgeldings wrote:heard smith talking on the local TB radio show this morning - he loves that poster and said he hopes he gets to keep a couple - I am sure they will give him as many as he wants. they said this morning they had like 4000 of them to give away.

and now lets see how many of them end up for sale on ebay. and how much they go for.
I see one person has at least NINE of them posted........NO surprise there.... :roll:

Oh, and they want $40 to ship that poster outside the US :evil:
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
tcw

Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:16 am

It was a great day at SA today. Got a couple of Justify posters signed by both Mike Smith and Bob Baffert, and also won a pair of goggles in the raffle signed by Mike Smith. And while waiting for Justify to come out, none other than Barbara Livingston happened by and it was a lot of fun chatting with her. All in all, a great day at the Great Race Place!
Big Ten

Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:13 am

I WANT THIS!!! 

I'll wait when Fanatics restocks. Still have the white available but prefer black the best over white and purple. The Zenyatta hat they gave out at Hollywood back in 2010 was small for me. Catered for females. Gave it to my gf. I have a big head, so I need like 7 1/2 or more. I also prefer to keep it loose and prefer adjustable or I'll nosebleed from the tightness and heat.

That's a nice hat although prefer my New Era hats which is built better for my head. Should have bought one earlier this morning if I knew they would run out at Fanatics. I prefer not to wear black hats during the summer. I wear my red 49ers instead. I'm just going to buy it because I left my Rock Hard Ten hat in another country. 

Finally got my black frame for the autographed Justify poster from Michael's. Cost me $20, has larger bezels, but it's easier to place it. A beauty. Will kiss it for good luck! I only wish I was in SoCal when those American Pharoah portrait posters were given out.

The one poster frame I got from Walmart across the street (Buena Park Mall) has thinner bezels, lighter but crap. It's a cheap $8 one where each sides are pieces. The smaller pieces from the top or bottom if portrait or sides if landscape is hard to fit. Will probably return it tomorrow.

Before Justify appeared, my Uncle and I took a photo with Bob Baffert. He was standing near the benches and chatting with people around and taking photos. The problem was my Aunt who is my Uncle's new wife and who I just met didn't have the photo. It's one of those smartphone issues when you think the photo was snapped but wasn't.

My Uncle and I didn't even worry about. We went back to eating our lunch. I can always take a photo with Bob someday. What was cool was seeing John Shirreffs stand on top of a bench with a giant camera ready to snap a photo of Justify. Nobody even recognized him except me and my Uncle.

Zenyatta and Justify's trainers within three minutes from each other. What a day for me to be connected to my #2 and my #3. JS was walking around and blending right in. I was actually going to ask him to take a photo but went nah. I didn't want others to recognize him and interfere what he was doing. He's a Justify fan just like the rest of us. I do have an autographed program from him back in 2009 anyway during Zenyatta's first retirement party.

I only have about four videos of Justify walking. They played "I Love L.A." and only was in the winner's circle for less than a few minutes. Was taking a crap. He was getting a little too hot anyway. Weather was weird today. When I left SA, it went back to being cloudy. Hope to see him in the Haskell and Awesome Again.

I told my Uncle that this horse will never lose and that he's still kinda a baby. We even laughed about the Repole complaints. Imagine Justify in about four more months? American Pharoah didn't even run his 120 Beyer until his finale. If Justify loses, it would be flukey like Keen Ice beating AP in the Travers.

I'm still a little envious at my Uncle for getting those two American Pharoah posters with signatures from Victor, Bob, and Penny. I was just listening to Secretariat's ESPN SportsCentury before I fell asleep last night. RIP Penny. Such a wonderful lady. I'm content with my Justify poster, my 3rd favorite racehorse ever.

It was all worth it today. We don't know if that's the final time we will ever see Justify in person. I just wish Fred Stone was still alive. He died the same month Justify started his career. California racing was like The Avengers years ago. We were the B-team of racing for years. Now look at our horses in this decade.

2010's: Greatest decade in California racing....

Rock Hard Ten. Free House. Soul Of The Matter. Lit de Justice. Zenyatta. Justify. Cigar. Ghostzapper. Lava Man. Silver Charm.
Diver52

Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:13 am

I didn't get the poster, but Justify looked spectacular. He's grown into his reputation. I was there for the SA Derby and he's a lot more horse now. :shock:
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
stark

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:17 am

worth repeating from todays LATimes newsletter.....

I’ve often lauded the ambassadors that trainer Bob Baffert and Smith are for the sport. But here’s what Ed Golden, who writes the stables notes for Santa Anita’s publicity department, reported from Clockers’ Corner on Saturday morning.

“Two new faces among the crowd were a husband and wife from La Palma, which borders Orange County and Los Angeles County, some 32 miles and 36 minutes from Arcadia,” Golden wrote.

“It was their first visit to a racetrack, and they came to see Justify. The man, who happened to be an amputee, was in a wheelchair, while the woman sat at a table nearby, both like children on Christmas morning, absorbing Santa Anita’s singular atmosphere in wide-eyed wonderment.

“When Justify’s trainer, the readily recognizable Bob Baffert, happened to appear, the man asked if he would join them for a photo. Baffert complied. The couple was overjoyed.

“Thanks to Baffert’s act of kindness, the two first-time racetrackers are likely to return again and again, and at a time when racing needs all the goodwill and live bodies it can get, it was a gesture that serves the game well.”

I’ve said it before, but I’ve never seen Baffert say “no” to a request from race fans. And he’s the biggest name in the sport. Try that in any other sport.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-s ... e-81971101
Big Ten

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:26 am

Note from the moderator/admin: Deleted due to Copyright infringement. No posting of whole articles and hotlinking to an image on another website.
stark

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:19 am

Jogging strong @ SantaAnita this morning...

https://twitter.com/zoecadman/status/10 ... 9232363521
Diver52

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:59 pm

I know Justify started out in some other trainer's barn, but I don't know whether that was always just a "starting out" assignment or whether he was transferred to Baffert only when he looked like something special. Anyone can clarify?
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
tcw

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:50 am

Diver52 wrote:I know Justify started out in some other trainer's barn, but I don't know whether that was always just a "starting out" assignment or whether he was transferred to Baffert only when he looked like something special. Anyone can clarify?
From the Justify (horse) Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justify_(horse) ...

He was initially sent to trainer Rodolphe Brisset at Keeneland but pulled a muscle and was given time to recover and grow into his frame.
stark

Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:02 am

tcw wrote:
Diver52 wrote:I know Justify started out in some other trainer's barn, but I don't know whether that was always just a "starting out" assignment or whether he was transferred to Baffert only when he looked like something special. Anyone can clarify?
From the Justify (horse) Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justify_(horse) ...

He was initially sent to trainer Rodolphe Brisset at Keeneland but pulled a muscle and was given time to recover and grow into his frame.
Brisset/Baffert, sounds similar, just different.

And it's not like Brisset came away empty handed, he got the best horse he's ever had from them, G2 winner Quip, so it all equals out in the end, sort of.
stark

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:01 pm

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ium=social
Almost a month after Justify's Triple Crown-clinching victory in the Belmont Stakes Presented by NYRA Bets (G1), trainer Bob Baffert is still taking it relatively easy on his undefeated superstar.

Baffert considered breezing the Scat Daddy colt this week at Santa Anita Park, but a variety of factors changed the trainer's mind, and Justify did not go to the track for any training July 5. A future race target has not been disclosed by Justify's connections.

"He's finally showing that he's a horse," Baffert said, in reference to the strain of the Triple Crown run, in which the chestnut colt won six races in 112 days. "He lightened up a bit, and we're trying to get a little weight on him. The only way to get weight back on is to back off a little. I can just tell he needs a little more time."

Record-setting heat expected in the Los Angeles area July 6-8 also played a part.

"With the heat and all of that, we've got to be a little careful," Baffert said. "There's no timeline (for his next breeze)."

Baffert said there have been positive signs from the four-time grade 1 winner around the barn, as well.

"He still looks bright," the trainer said. "If you put your arm out there, he'll try to take it away from you. As long as he's in attack mode, he's good."
stark

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:48 pm

I'm a big fan of happy endings, and I'm casting my ballot for retirement now.
The only way I wanted to see him in the Haskell, Travers, BCC was if everything was on a 100% easy path.

It's obvious now that there's work to be done to get him back to the races, and I just don't see the reward vs. risk.

Turning the page, next.

Thanks for the memories.
Old Bones

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Just posted - I am assuming this refers to a problem from last week and hoping it isn't a problem this week.
Alicia Wincze Hughes‏ @BH_AHughes · 3m3 minutes ago

Per release, Justify is going to be evaluated for some filling in his left front ankle. “Justify had some filling in his left front ankle a week ago, which subsided in a couple days,” said trainer Bob Baffert.