Justify

stark

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:30 pm

Treve wrote: Bob actually said in a recent interview that in his opinion Arrogate lost interest. He didn't think Del Mar was a factor at all
Thanks Treve, but as has been proven right here in black and white by those who know, Bob doesn't always tell the whole truth ;)
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
luvsgeldings

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:34 pm

well come on now stark. you know baffert is a saint. an absolute saint. just ask ballerina and katewerk. wheeeee..... ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!
stark

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:37 pm

A link for everything Justify from maiden to triple crown winner and everything in-between courtesy of DRF.

http://www.drf.com/news/justify
Ballerina

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:56 pm

luvsgeldings wrote:well come on now stark. you know baffert is a saint. an absolute saint. just ask ballerina and katewerk. wheeeee..... ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!
Aren't you the clever one?!~ MEH! You just don't get it. I'd repeat it, but kurenai already covered the subject nicely.
Squeaky

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:57 pm

I just remember what a world of good turn out time at the farm did for Chrome.
luvsgeldings

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:13 pm

ballerina, if you had the chance to read my very thoughtful response to your condescending reply to my post, you would have understood. it was probably taken down before you read it I am sure. but by all means, go ahead and keep throwing out serious accusations and insults to people here, before you even understand what they were talking about.

my history at this forum has never been to accuse, demean, insult or disrespect other members in this community. I may have an opinion that you don't agree with, but I NEVER come back with an insult to anyone here. UNLESS they start the personal insults with me first. then, I refuse to be bullied, I will stick up for myself.

in all my years here, I have tried to treat my fellow community members with respect, even if I don't agree with them. at no time have I ever said anything here at this forum that would incite slander or libel. I tried to clarify that in my response. and I seriously take offense to anyone who would accuse me of such.

and squeaky, you are right.... that turn out for chrome did do him a lot of good. and wasn't he another really fine looking flashy chestnut. miss him.
Diver52

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:12 pm

If anyone knows better, correct me, but my recollection is that Zenyatta stayed at the track throughout her career. I did think it was odd, but if horses are creatures of habit and routine, it may make sense for some. Chrome seemed sour and his time off certainly did him good.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Sparrow Castle

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:13 pm

Tim Layden's very nice SI article...

It's Instinctive to Compare Justify's Triple Crown to American Pharoah's but Both Share Connection to Greatness
History writes a chapter for each of them and the book of the Triple Crown becomes longer and richer. A tale for the horse from a century ago, the very first. Tales for the three in the 1930’s and the four in the forties, golden ages both. For Big Red most of all, and for Slew and Affirmed. And for the sleek bay colt who three years ago ran wire-to-wire in the setting sun and lifted a curse that had lingered for nearly four decades. The earth shook beneath Belmont Park that day, because the sport had waited so long and wanted it so much. They could not have known that the next would come so soon and so remarkably. They could not have known that there is always more that we can surrender to greatness when greatness arrives. And so: Again.

This time the horse’s name is Justify. He is a tall, muscular chestnut-colored colt, the type of horse that painters paint and sculptors cast. There is room for him because on another Saturday evening, in the same long shadows that have framed so many champions before, Justify won the 150th Belmont Stakes and racing’s 13th Triple Crown. And because it was unlike any that came before it. He is just the second horse, and the first since Seattle Slew in 1977, to win the Triple Crown while undefeated. His perfect record has been written in a frenetic six-race career that began only on February 18—a breakneck 112 days from first race to Triple Crown—breaking every rule, even in an evolving sport, that governs the meticulous development of top horses. The architect of this furious, unlikely rush to immortality was trainer Bob Baffert, 65, who also trained American Pharoah to his Triple Crown three years ago and is the second trainer in history—after Sunny Jim Fitzsimmons in the 1930s – to win two Triple Crowns.

“Unbelievable training job, one of the greatest of all-time” said Chad Brown, who trained Gronkowski to a runner-up finish at 25-1 odds. “Just adds to another incredible accomplishment to an incredible career.”
More: https://www.si.com/horse-racing/2018/06 ... takes-2018
Turul

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Diver52 wrote:I know Justify is a big flashy hunk, but I sometimes wonder if AP doesn't get the respect he deserves because he's such a plain package. But watching almost all his races in the (too long) promo video, at Coolmore, I couldn't help but recognize what an extraordinary stride he had. Not huge, just perfectly economical. He really did float over the ground. I'm hoping he passes on those mechanics.
Interesting you say that AP is "such a plain package".

He is anything but that. All you need to do is watch him in his barn or as he was shipped around before the TC races in his luxury accommodations.

His demeanor, even when only standing, caught your eye. He had the unmistakable flags of royalty, fully aware of what/who he was: an easy confidence and high intelligence as if he commanded the world. I remember watching him next to another horse: he was light years above him.

No, he'll not be forgotten, never.
Looking into the eyes of Cigar was a life changing experience.
Ballerina

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:10 pm

luvsgeldings wrote:ballerina, if you had the chance to read my very thoughtful response to your condescending reply to my post, you would have understood. it was probably taken down before you read it I am sure. but by all means, go ahead and keep throwing out serious accusations and insults to people here, before you even understand what they were talking about.

my history at this forum has never been to accuse, demean, insult or disrespect other members in this community. I may have an opinion that you don't agree with, but I NEVER come back with an insult to anyone here. UNLESS they start the personal insults with me first. then, I refuse to be bullied, I will stick up for myself.

in all my years here, I have tried to treat my fellow community members with respect, even if I don't agree with them. at no time have I ever said anything here at this forum that would incite slander or libel. I tried to clarify that in my response. and I seriously take offense to anyone who would accuse me of such.

and squeaky, you are right.... that turn out for chrome did do him a lot of good. and wasn't he another really fine looking flashy chestnut. miss him.
Oh I suppose you'd like to nominate yourself to sainthood. I read your previous post, and I responded to it. I shan't repeat myself as kurenai has already set the ground rules. But do know this, I won't be bullied either. Libelous accusations need to be responded to. If you had as much experience as you say you have, you'd be familiar with how a once thriving TB horse forum was dismantled in a number of days as a result of libel.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:27 pm

Diver52 wrote:If anyone knows better, correct me, but my recollection is that Zenyatta stayed at the track throughout her career. I did think it was odd, but if horses are creatures of habit and routine, it may make sense for some. Chrome seemed sour and his time off certainly did him good.
She did, but she also needed the routine plus they also took her grazing and let her be outside a lot more. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think this is Bafferts approach, might be cause he has such a huge stable. Justify is from what I've seen of him a much more relaxed horse who doesn't mind a different scenario / different surroundings. If he would be mine, I would send him for some well earned vacation. If they can't turn him out cause of fear he would hurt himself, then I would at least take him on loooong walks through some nice grass paddock.
stark

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Can somebody please tell me what he's thinkin'

WarBiscuit

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:07 pm

stark wrote:Can somebody please tell me what he's thinkin'

I'm pretty sure it's "I've seen and heard enough crazy people this spring to last me a lifetime. I need to be alone for a spell..."

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
tcw

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:41 pm

And to think.... between AP and Justify was none other than MASTERY. Oh what might have been.
CoronadosQuest

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:01 pm

tcw wrote:And to think.... between AP and Justify was none other than MASTERY. Oh what might have been.
That horse had a great Triple Crown name too. Man that horse was a beast... oh what if...
stark

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:07 pm

WarBiscuit wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's "I've seen and heard enough crazy people this spring to last me a lifetime. I need to be alone for a spell..."

WarBiscuit
You could very well be right.

I was thinking.....

I came, I saw, I conquered!
or
Rest? I don't need no stinkin' rest!
Ballerina

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:29 pm

SCAT DADDY - deceased sire of JUSTIFY. What a strong Arabian look to him.
Treve

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:07 am

stark wrote:Can somebody please tell me what he's thinkin'

"All these lenses and not a single peppermint in sight? I'm a star - no, I'm a god now, where are my offerings!?"
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:08 am

stark wrote:
Treve wrote: Bob actually said in a recent interview that in his opinion Arrogate lost interest. He didn't think Del Mar was a factor at all
Thanks Treve, but as has been proven right here in black and white by those who know, Bob doesn't always tell the whole truth ;)
Why would Bob lie about something like that when it would be so much easier to blame the track, than to admit his own approach/method failed in this case?
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Ballerina

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:14 am

This gave me grins and giggles