2018 Fountain Of Youth

Re: 2018 Fountain Of Youth

Postby Tessablue » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:44 pm

Well Hofburg has a future. That was an impossible trip for any young horse, let alone a Mott second-time starter coming off a long layoff. And he's got the pedigree to match that promise.
Tessablue

Postby firehorse » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:48 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Caton just passed along the troublesome news that Fly So High, who won the Davona Dale, was pulled up on the gallop-out. Jose apparently thought she just didn't feel right; she seemed to walk soundly as she loaded onto the horse ambulance. Update later, hopefully?

On track they announced McGaughey gave a thumbs up and said she was cooling out ok and they havent found anything (?) Heard it quickly so not sure of exact verbiage but at least sounded like good update so far.
firehorse

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:53 pm

Tessablue wrote:Well Hofburg has a future. That was an impossible trip for any young horse, let alone a Mott second-time starter coming off a long layoff. And he's got the pedigree to match that promise.

Half to Emollient. Needs some practice loading, but definitely looks promising.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:58 pm

firehorse wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Caton just passed along the troublesome news that Fly So High, who won the Davona Dale, was pulled up on the gallop-out. Jose apparently thought she just didn't feel right; she seemed to walk soundly as she loaded onto the horse ambulance. Update later, hopefully?

On track they announced McGaughey gave a thumbs up and said she was cooling out ok and they havent found anything (?) Heard it quickly so not sure of exact verbiage but at least sounded like good update so far.

I posted some updates in the Horse Following - Phipps Horses thread.

McGaughey reports as of now, all is well with Fly So HIgh
Trainer Shug McGaughey said all is well with Fly So High following the scare shortly after her impressive victory in the Grade 2 Davona Dale. Jockey Jose Ortiz dismounted Fly So High, who was subsequently given a ride back to her barn in the horse ambulance, after feeling she might not have pulled up 100 per cent sound immediately after the race.

"She cooled out fine when I got back to the barn," said McGaughey. "Now there is a chance something could fill up in the morning, but the one thing I can say for sure is it's nothing drastic."

Fly So High's three length victory in the Davona Dale was the 2,000th of McGaughey's training career.

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/40738-mcgaughey-reports-as-of-now-all-is-well-with-fly-so-high
Sparrow Castle

Postby middleground » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:25 pm

That was, uh, non-awe-inspiring.
middleground

Postby Tessablue » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:27 pm

I don't think Promises Fulfilled will go any further than that, but I give him a lot of credit for that performance because he was really gunned out of the gate from that tough post. Looked a bit like his sire out there.

Nothing to really be said for anyone else. Hopefully Good Magic just needed one.
Tessablue

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:32 pm

Shackleford appears to have passed down his no-quit quality. He didn't exactly look like a classic type either, but he won races like the Preakness because he just refused to stop trying to win.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby thinair » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:49 pm

It's easier to not quit when you are setting a dawdling pace.

He went 0.21 seconds slower to the half than the maidens in the 11th race.
thinair

Postby Tessablue » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:13 pm

He certainly got his ideal pace scenario and he was lucky that nothing ran at him in the stretch, but do I like to see a young horse come back to his jockey after gunning it early. It sure helped that nobody else went after him, though.

Hofburg is still much more interesting to me at the moment. His final time was quite a bit slower, but his last 1/16th was about the same as Promises Fulfilled despite idling on the lead and his trip was substantially less than ideal. I'd be absolutely shocked if Mott puts him on the Derby trail, but he's worth keeping an eye on.
Tessablue

Postby Izvestia » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:20 am

Hofburg wasn’t running a straight line either - he’s got lots to learn.
Izvestia

PreviousNext

Return to Racing