2018 Fountain Of Youth

Re: 2018 Fountain Of Youth

Postby Apollo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:55 am

Tessablue wrote:Well Hofburg has a future. That was an impossible trip for any young horse, let alone a Mott second-time starter coming off a long layoff. And he's got the pedigree to match that promise.

I was there and I bet on him. He looked so much the best in the walking ring it was astonishing. By far the largest gap of the day in that regard.

The price was bet way down from the morning ling but that actually made me more confident. I like the subtle wise guy action at Gulfstream. Same thing last year with Always Dreaming in the Florida Derby.

Once Hofburg moved into striking position on the backstretch I actually expected him to draw away and win much more handily than he did. My friend and I on the rail were announcing the race was over. Then we nearly had to eat our words. Fortunately they used the first finish line for that race.

It was my only highlight of the day but I was happy to avoid some losers I liked when the price was simply too low. I'm not sure if the announcers mentioned there was a significant headwind on the backstretch.

I never would have had the winner in the Fountain of Youth but it could not have been more obvious at the midway point that he would hold on. As Shug said in the winner's circle, the ears were pricked and it was going to take something special to get past him.

He did remind of Shackleford, from the white face to running style to tenacity.
Apollo

Postby stark » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:13 pm

96 BSF
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby stark » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:45 pm

"The horse came out of the race a little tired," Brown said. "He's in good order. He scoped clean. Hopefully he got something out of a race it looks like he needed.

"I'm disappointed he didn't win, but happy with how he came back."

Brown said the Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland on April 7 remains the most-likely next and final Derby prep for Good Magic, though he said the Wood Memorial at Aqueduct, also April 7, would be considered, too. One of the advantages to heading to the Blue Grass, Brown said, is that he'd just have to ship Good Magic once, to Kentucky, instead of to New York and then on to Kentucky after departing South Florida.

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/40766-good- ... brown-said
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby katmandu » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:43 pm

Apollo wrote:I never would have had the winner in the Fountain of Youth but it could not have been more obvious at the midway point that he would hold on. As Shug said in the winner's circle, the ears were pricked and it was going to take something special to get past him.

Southern hospitality?
katmandu

Postby Apollo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Obviously Romans. I think I may have written Shug, probably because I saw him so many times yesterday.
Apollo

Postby katmandu » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:41 pm

Just a gentle rib. . . ;)
katmandu

Previous

Return to Racing