The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

Re: The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

Postby Catalina » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:51 pm

You can create hay banks to assist with short-term emergencies, but even that is easier said then done. With the widespread hotter, drier weather, hay is getting harder to find, and more and more expensive.

But I think that in times of major economic/political disasters (such as the Depression, wars), animals will continue to be among the first victims.
Catalina

Postby Catalina » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:04 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Catalina wrote:A tax deduction wouldn't fix the problem, but it might buy us a very few years breathing space for coming up with better solution.

It's really just a pipe dream that I'm running with since people are entertaining me.

I'm so defeatist. I don't see how anything other than uniform rule can save this sport.

Oh, I agree, our just about last hope is a uniform rule, which would have to be forced on the powers that be, every figure head protecting their little kingdom to the last drop of blood.
Catalina

Postby Sparrow Castle » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:36 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:A tax deduction would help but it's still a huge commitment to carry the expenses of horse ownership over the lifespan of the horse, and they're a lot of work to keep healthy and happy.

Agreed. It's no different than a child, a husband, or a dog, or anything else. I don't think most people think of that when you ask for a horse you get a horse. Not just the fun parts but all of it - good and bad. At my current life stage if I was able to declare married and claim the horse as a dependent that'd be stellar. I'd drag my man to town hall right now and get hitched if that was the case.

I also think what FHF is doing is great. If anything like this opens up in NY I'd really love to get involved in it.

Haha, I was thinking more a "charitable" tax deduction than "dependent" tax deduction, but having a horse really is more like having a child or husband!
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu May 10, 2018 12:46 am

Catching up on this thread from Facebook.

ntwo.org shared a post.
May 2 at 5:51pm ·
This guy seems like a genuine sweetheart who would love an owner who dotes on him and he'd return in kind.
Carrie Willwerth Brogden
May 2 ·
Wow is this gelding in great condition or what!? Perfect OTTB riding prospect!!!! Dapples everywhere. Videos available of field movement . 4 yr old 15.3 , big bodied and pretty pretty in your pocket guy. Adoption is 500$ , which just helps pay the $850 shipping bill already paid from La. located In Paris, KY. PM if interested in getting him — at Machmer Hall Farm.

ntwo.org shared a post.
May 2 at 5:48pm ·
Carrie Willwerth Brogden
May 2 ·
NTWO’s first arrivals in Ky!!! The National Thoroughbfef Welfare Organization is in business!!! These three geldings arrived in great condition from their caring former owners and trainers at the tracks in La. 2/3 will be up for adoption soon and ready to head to their new lives. The third one needs some time on an ankle and will be a buddy for Vinceremos!!!! — at Machmer Hall Farm.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu May 10, 2018 12:52 am

If anyone is so inclined to sign...Maggi Moss started this petition to OFFICE OF LA ATTORNEY GENERAL AND DEPT OF AG IN Louisiana.

MAKE LOUISIANA OFFICIALS AND POLITICIANS ACT ON HORSE KILL PENS IN LA
Out of total frustration, and viewing horses falling thru vans and being dragged, cruel, inhumane treatment, I simply cant sit here anymore and do nothing, so why not try this? - FOR YEARS, no law enforcement, politician, or anyone in power will enforce federal laws or state animal cruelty laws "that exist" in Louisiana, that are being violated by THOMPSONS KILL LOT AND BASTROP KILL PEN.- IT IS TIME TO MAKE THEM ACT. If i can get 10,000 signatures, I will personally take it to "officials" in La

Thompsons transports with insufficient health certificates and improper, illegal and inhumane ways in violation of Federal law; They violate the Louisiana cruelty statutes, their contracts will not stand up and would be declared illegal; Bastrop practices animal cruelty under Louisiana statutes. Both do not comply with Federal or state income or sale tax laws. All of this needs to be investigated-

https://www.change.org/p/office-of-la-attorney-general-and-dept-of-agriculture-in-louisiana-make-louisiana-officials-and-politicians-act-on-horse-kill-pens-in-se-louisiana?recruiter=738603403&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=autopublish&utm_content=ex99%3Av1
Sparrow Castle

Postby Ballerina » Thu May 10, 2018 1:29 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:If anyone is so inclined to sign...Maggi Moss started this petition to OFFICE OF LA ATTORNEY GENERAL AND DEPT OF AG IN Louisiana.

MAKE LOUISIANA OFFICIALS AND POLITICIANS ACT ON HORSE KILL PENS IN LA
Out of total frustration, and viewing horses falling thru vans and being dragged, cruel, inhumane treatment, I simply cant sit here anymore and do nothing, so why not try this? - FOR YEARS, no law enforcement, politician, or anyone in power will enforce federal laws or state animal cruelty laws "that exist" in Louisiana, that are being violated by THOMPSONS KILL LOT AND BASTROP KILL PEN.- IT IS TIME TO MAKE THEM ACT. If i can get 10,000 signatures, I will personally take it to "officials" in La

Thompsons transports with insufficient health certificates and improper, illegal and inhumane ways in violation of Federal law; They violate the Louisiana cruelty statutes, their contracts will not stand up and would be declared illegal; Bastrop practices animal cruelty under Louisiana statutes. Both do not comply with Federal or state income or sale tax laws. All of this needs to be investigated-

https://www.change.org/p/office-of-la-attorney-general-and-dept-of-agriculture-in-louisiana-make-louisiana-officials-and-politicians-act-on-horse-kill-pens-in-se-louisiana?recruiter=738603403&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=autopublish&utm_content=ex99%3Av1

I signed and shared the petition. So many people up in arms about how other countries treat their animals while something like this is happening here. The dark underbelly of the sport need a heavy light shone on it.
Ballerina

Postby Ballerina » Thu May 10, 2018 1:51 am

I'm not a fan or a $ supporter of HSUS. But there are times when they get things right.

https://blog.humanesociety.org/2018/05/ ... ghter.html
Ballerina

Postby Ballerina » Fri May 18, 2018 5:46 pm

Racing's efforts to grapple with horse slaughter is not enough - at least for now

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... st-for-now
Ballerina

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:27 pm

ntwo.org
45 mins ·
We've taken in 3 more horses today while we still await our 501(c)3 and start of our program in Louisiana. Emily was contacted by a trainer in the Midatlantic area asking if we could take these 3, and Carrie is graciously housing them at her beautiful Machmer Hall.

The horses are Hunger (Tribal Rule - Excusabull, by Indian Charlie), Tymochtee Creek (Quality Road - More Than Magic, by More Than Ready), and Boca Scuttlebutt (Elusive Quality - Baghdaria, by Royal Academy).

Boca is particularly interesting pedigree-wise, being out of a multiple-graded stakes winning daughter of blue hen Oatsee (making her a half to Shackleford, Lady Joanne, and 2 other graded performers).

We'll assess them tomorrow, but we know that Hunger has a bow that will need time. All three horses came to us from owner Baccarat Racing LLC and trainer Bruno Tessore. We thank them for working to responsibly rehome their horses at the end of their racing careers.
https://www.facebook.com/NTWO.org/
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:29 pm

Evangeline Downs, Delta Downs contribute to racehorse aftercare
The National Thoroughbred Welfare Organization, founded by prominent owner Rick Porter, announced Wednesday that Delta Downs and Evangeline Downs, the sister tracks in Louisiana operated by Boyd Gaming, have committed funds to assist with the rehoming of horses in Louisiana.

The tracks are the first in the nation to commit financial support to the NTWO, which has a mission of “intercepting retired Thoroughbred horses from being sold into the slaughter pipeline,” according to a press release. The NTWO will have a representative at tracks and training centers to work with owners and their trainers to find new homes for horses whose racing careers have ended.

“While improvements have been made in the aftercare of racing’s horses, there is still much to be done,” Victoria Keith, president of the NTWO, said in a release. “We have a lot of work in front of us, but we’re excited to get started and make a difference in the lives of horses in Louisiana. We are grateful to Delta Downs and Evangeline Downs for taking the lead in working with us to fight the indefensible practice of horse slaughter, and we encourage others to follow their lead.”

Delta Downs, in Vinton, is currently conducting a meet for Quarter Horses, and Evangeline Downs, in Opelousas, is in the midst of a meet for Thoroughbreds.

“Every horse that races at our tracks deserves to find a good, loving home after it retires,” Vince Schwartz, senior vice president of operations for Boyd Gaming, said in a release. “The NTWO’s noble mission is one we are proud to support.”

More: http://www.drf.com/news/evangeline-downs-delta-downs-contribute-racehorse-aftercare

https://www.facebook.com/NTWO.org/posts/395829417569636
Sparrow Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Racing