2018 Hall Of Fame

Re: 2018 Hall Of Fame

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:56 pm

Blind Luck, Gio Ponti, Corey Nakatani for me. And maybe it's about time for Craig Perret to get in?
Do I want to leave Havre de Grace, one of the three distaffers who became HOTY in that historic three year run, off my ballot? :?
It's interesting that some of us feel more strongly about Blind Luck, the Little Chestnut Engine Who Could, running with her tail flagged like an Arabian.
IMHO Mark Casse is eventually going to get in, but I'm all for letting him wait a few more years.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Ballerina » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:43 pm

David Whiteley, Craig Perret, Havre de Grace
Ballerina

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:38 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Blind Luck, Gio Ponti, Corey Nakatani for me. And maybe it's about time for Craig Perret to get in?

Perret had that one amazing hot streak near the end of his career, but before that I remember him most as a solid out-of-the-national-spotlight rider rather than a superstar jockey. Actually, I think this year may be Whiteley's year at long last. Too soon for Casse, and Shirreffs, as we all know, had his Seasons in the Sun (Terry Jacks -- 1974) with just one horse.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby katmandu » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:30 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Blind Luck, Gio Ponti, Corey Nakatani for me. And maybe it's about time for Craig Perret to get in?
Do I want to leave Havre de Grace, one of the three distaffers who became HOTY in that historic three year run, off my ballot? :?
It's interesting that some of us feel more strongly about Blind Luck, the Little Chestnut Engine Who Could, running with her tail flagged like an Arabian.
IMHO Mark Casse is eventually going to get in, but I'm all for letting him wait a few more years.

You don't have to leave HdG off your ballet, you can vote them all in this year (not limited). I thought Gio Ponti was a superb racehorse, and had a lot of respect for HdG, just couldn't believe there had been no mention of Blind Luck. She was amazing, her record speaks for itself.

http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-hall-bal ... all-button
katmandu

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:44 pm

:? I keep seeing John Shirreffs referred to as a 'one-hit wonder,' but he also had Giacomo, Tiago, Life Is Sweet and Gormley, not to mention the fabulous but gone-too-soon sprinter Mentor Cane. And those are just off the top of my head. I suspect a real dive into his record will find some more very good horses I missed.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Old Bones » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:40 pm

Much as I like HDG it's Blind Luck and Gio Ponti for me.
Old Bones

Postby Curtis » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:29 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote::? I keep seeing John Shirreffs referred to as a 'one-hit wonder,' but he also had Giacomo, Tiago, Life Is Sweet and Gormley, not to mention the fabulous but gone-too-soon sprinter Mentor Cane. And those are just off the top of my head. I suspect a real dive into his record will find some more very good horses I missed.

The best horse he may have trained, at least for a time, was Bertrando. Still not a Hall of Famer. Tommy Doyle was nominated a few years back. I’d put him in first and he’s marginal.
Curtis

Postby Starine » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:44 pm

Heavenly Prize - Whiteley - Albarado
Starine

Postby stark » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:59 am

From DRF......

In an absolutely stunning development, Heavenly Prize is the lone contemporary inductee into the 2018 National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame, this despite a change in voting rules this year that seemed as though it would make it easier for a backlogged group of deserving candidates to finally get in.

Heavenly Prize was one of 10 horses, trainers, and jockeys on the final ballot, the others being jockeys Robby Albarado, Corey Nakatani, and Craig Perret; trainers Mark Casse, John Shirreffs, and David Whiteley, and the racehorses Blind Luck, Gio Ponti, and Havre de Grace.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Horsebagger » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:25 pm

stark wrote:From DRF......

In an absolutely stunning development, Heavenly Prize is the lone contemporary inductee into the 2018 National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame, this despite a change in voting rules this year that seemed as though it would make it easier for a backlogged group of deserving candidates to finally get in.

Heavenly Prize was one of 10 horses, trainers, and jockeys on the final ballot, the others being jockeys Robby Albarado, Corey Nakatani, and Craig Perret; trainers Mark Casse, John Shirreffs, and David Whiteley, and the racehorses Blind Luck, Gio Ponti, and Havre de Grace.

Not overtly concerned about this result. At some point, there has to be a line drawn to distinguish a true elite Hall of Fame and not become a popularity contest to achieve the honor.

And I'd make the same case for every sports current HOF voting more generally.
Horsebagger

PreviousNext

Return to Racing