What if we had a National Racing Czar?

What if we had a National Racing Czar?

Postby stark » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:33 pm

Would he allow them to race in the snow blizzards at Laurel and Mountaineer today?
What fun is that for anybody involved, this ain't Lambo Field we're talkin about. If you keep records, how do reference a track like that, muddy with sleet and snow mixed in?

Would he give Martin Pedroza 15 days for fisticuffs in the jocks room with a valet at Santa Anita along with a $500 fine?
I understand he knocked the guy out by hitting him with his helmet but compare that penalty with the 3 and 5 day suspensions jocks get all the time when another horse and rider's lives are on the line for misbehavior on the racetrack, something seems strange.

Would he allow a first time colt to run? ;)
Jeremy Balan
‏@BH_JBalan
Today in gelding news, Croissant in the first race, who was listed as being gelded in the past performances and in the program, is actually a colt, according to the Santa Anita racing office.
1st: 4 Croissant $7.00 $4.20 $3.40
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Re: What if we had a National Racing Czar?

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:06 pm

I am no fan of careless riding by jocks, and would probably levy more penalties than many stewards. However, I can understand why Martin got hit with that punishment. Fighting in the jock's room is bad enough, but when you deliberately take a helmet and hit a guy so hard with it that it knocks him unconscious, that's way past bad. That's assault.
Martin may be lucky that he's not in jail for that. :?
ETA: Regarding the miraculous reappearance of Croissant's jewels: Doesn't anyone LOOK at the horses when they go through their pre-race identification process? Does the paddock judge just hate to lean over and look at the horse's undercarriage? :shock: :lol:
Hate to say it, but this isn't the first time I've heard of this happening. :oops:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby stark » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:06 pm

Would he allow 10-11 year olds to be racing for a claiming price of $1,500 at some place named Rillito?

1 Brazos Ego (TX) 11/G L $1,500 D Aguilar 126 M Chavez 4/1
2 Spring for It (CA) 6/G L $1,500 L R Yescas, Jr. 126 M Ortega 5/2
3 Son of a Pistola (CA) 7/G L $1,500 M Ybarra 126 R D Ybarra 5/1
4 Peppery (CA) 8/M L $1,500 L Gamez 121 R B Bazurto 6/1
5 Trigo Padigo (CO) 7/M $1,500 D L French 121 J Perkins 8/1
6 Gambler Bill (CA) 10/G $1,500 R C Gamez 126 D Kern 2/1
7 Red Charger (CA) 8/G L $1,500 J Klaiber 126 R D Ybarra 10/1

p.s. the #1 was coming off a 517 day layoff, with $76,000 in the bank from 71 lifetime starts. Finished 4th @ 3/1. $1,150 to the winner.
Last edited by stark on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stark

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:09 pm

"He" might, but maybe "she" wouldn't. :P
Perhaps our National Racing Czar should be our Czarina.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby stark » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:18 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:"He" might, but maybe "she" wouldn't. :P
Perhaps our National Racing Czar should be our Czarina.

Pick a lady from any walk of life that you think might be able to do the job and I'm all for it (since I can't think of a man that could pull if off)
Bo
Hillary
Penny (deceased)
Margaret (would've mandated all turf racing)
Julie
????????????????
stark

Postby Ballerina » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:24 pm

stark wrote:Pick a lady from any walk of life that you think might be able to do the job and I'm all for it (since I can't think of a man that could pull if off)
Bo
Hillary
Penny (deceased)
Julie
????????????????

Barbara
Mandy
Charlotte
Ballerina

Postby stark » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Ballerina wrote:
stark wrote:Pick a lady from any walk of life that you think might be able to do the job and I'm all for it (since I can't think of a man that could pull if off)
Bo
Hillary
Penny (deceased)
Julie
????????????????

Barbara
Mandy
Charlotte

It's probably easier than I'm thinkin'
All you really have to do is get NYRA, Stronach, Churchill and the CHRB all on the same page along with the customers, owners and trainers.
stark

Postby barbaro111 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:37 am

As I was trying to watch the races at Laurel on TVG, I could not believe what I was seeing-- was getting angry wondering how Laurel could allow the horses to race in those deplorable conditions
-then I wondered why the jockeys didn't protest and refuse to ride in that crap--why wouldn't they protest? I can't believe it isn't dangerous for horses to race in mud, snow and sleet!
barbaro111

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:13 am

stark wrote:It's probably easier than I'm thinkin'
All you really have to do is get NYRA, Stronach, Churchill and the CHRB all on the same page along with the customers, owners and trainers.

All you'd really have to do is get the multiple racing jurisdictions (feds, states, counties and cities) to go along with it. That, right there, is the heart of the problem. Once politicians get their grubby hands on an income stream, they never let go even to the point of nearly killing the source of that income. The problem is not male or female, left or right, it is politicians of all stripes.
Ridan_Remembered

Postby Catalina » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:59 pm

stark wrote:
Ballerina wrote:
Bo
Hillary
Penny (deceased)
Julie
????????????????

Barbara
Mandy
Charlotte

It's probably easier than I'm thinkin'

Gretchen Jackson
Catalina

Next

Return to Racing