Derby Point Races 2018

Curtis

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:35 pm

BigDonOKC wrote: I have played straight tickets the 2016 derby was one of them.
So you really had Nyquist? Congratulations! He was tough to find.....musta' been while the iPad was on the fritz.
stark

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 pm

Curtis wrote:
So you really had Nyquist? Congratulations! He was tough to find.....musta' been while the iPad was on the fritz.
Don,
I get confused with straight tickets, partial wheels and boxes.
For example, in the Florida race it sounded like you said to bet 4/6 with 4/6 with 10/8 with 10/8 and to also bet a straight 4-6-10-8 super. But then in retrospect it sounds like you hit the 10-4-6 trifecta for $254 per $1 with two favorites in the mix, congrats....nice hit!

Curtis,
West Coast Speed always gets a couple of extra points in the formula!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BigDonOKC

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:28 pm

stark wrote:
Curtis wrote:
Don,
I get confused with straight tickets, partial wheels and boxes.
For example, in the Florida race it sounded like you said to bet 4/6 with 4/6 with 10/8 with 10/8 and to also bet a straight 4-6-10-8 super. But then in retrospect it sounds like you hit the 10-4-6 trifecta for $254 per $1 with two favorites in the mix, congrats....nice hit!

Curtis,
West Coast Speed always gets a couple of extra points in the formula!

my pick was 4 with 6 with 2 with 10 when the2 was out all I had was 4-6-10 I put the 8 in because he was next in line.

I I box 4-6-10 ex and tri then play a $1.00 super 4/6-4/6-10/8-10/8 it was no good. again I never said I had winner on top.
BigDonOKC

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:07 pm

Curtis wrote:
it took a lot of work and paid off for a straight $20.00 ex tri and sup. total on these 3 ticket cost $60.00 they only paid back about $2800.00
stark

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:15 pm

Don,
Can you please post your picks here on Friday?
I think I'm leaving early for Santa Anita on Saturday, going to morning workouts for the free coffee before the racing day starts.

Thanks, and good luck!
BigDonOKC

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:18 am

stark wrote:Don,
Can you please post your picks here on Friday?
I think I'm leaving early for Santa Anita on Saturday, going to morning workouts for the free coffee before the racing day starts.

Thanks, and good luck!
Stark are you from California, if so do you go to Del Mar and know the man who run the track Joe if so there is a possible you might know OSO- Kate and Connie they are related.
I will run my program as soon as the PP come out and post them as soon as possible Friday by the latest. c
You always need to check post.
stark

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:10 am

BigDonOKC wrote: Stark are you from California, if so do you go to Del Mar and know the man who run the track Joe if so there is a possible you might know OSO- Kate and Connie they are related.
Thanks Don.
I don't know Joe Harper personally but I think Curtis and Lester are good friends of his, I think they call him Jake, will wait for them to check in.
I don't know a lot of employees names, just recognize them because they've been there for the past 37 years doing the same job every day, the guy with the greasy black hair in valet parking, the guy with a patch over his eye serving cocktails, the lady serving up carved sandwiches who took over the stand from her mom, and of course John Shear at the paddock walking ring, he's been there the longest as he turned 97 this year!!!
http://www.santaanita.com/press-release ... p62fejwbIU
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:02 pm

Gronkowski won the weather-delayed Derby points race at Kempton, a race that TVG showed this morning. He's a big, good-looking colt with a long stride, although still a bit green. While he may be by Lonhro, a turf runner/sire, he is out of a Lookin At Lucky mare.
https://www.racingpost.com/news/news/gr ... win/322287

Twenty points will probably not be enough to get in the gate, so I'm curious to see where his connections run him next. UAE Derby?
stark

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:09 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Twenty points will probably not be enough to get in the gate, so I'm curious to see where his connections run him next. UAE Derby?
If they really want to have an international flavor to the Derby, some of those races should be win and you're in type qualifiers.
stark

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:14 pm

50 points to the winner....

A field of 11 has been set for the G2, $350,000 Tampa Bay Derby, to be run here Saturday for the 38th time. Here is the lineup with post positions, jockeys, and the track morning line for the 1 1/16-mile race:

1-Arazi Like Move, S.Spieth, 30-1

2-Tiz Mischief, J.Rosario, 8-1

3-Vino Rosso, J.Velazquez, 4-1

4-Grandpa Knows Best, J.Leparoux, 20-1

5-Flameaway, J.Lezcano, 3-1

6-Enticed, A.Gallardo, 6-1 *cross entered @ Gotham

7-Free Drop Billy, no rider, 7-2 *cross entered @ Gotham

8-World of Trouble, I.OrtizJr., 5-1

9-Untamed Domain, J.Ortiz, 6-1

10-Quip, F.Geroux, 15-1

11-Caloric, no rider, 50-1
Last edited by stark on Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:22 pm

If they really want to have an international flavor to the Derby, some of those races should be win and you're in type qualifiers.

Stark, it turns out that they are, according to this from the above article;
"Victory in this rearranged contest, which was lost to snow last week, earned Gronkowski 20 points in the European 'Road to the Kentucky Derby' with the leader at the end of the series earning a spot in the first leg of the US Triple Crown on May 5, provided they have been nominated."

I don't know what other races are in this "series," but I think one race was supposed to have been run at Dundalk last week. That race, where Coolmore's Mendelssohn was scheduled to race, wasn't run due to "The Beast From the East" horrible weather. Don't know if that one's been rescheduled. :?
BigDonOKC

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:30 pm

free drop bill is on 2 cards - don't know about the Santa Anita card I look for him to take the Tampa bay downs race. :shock:
stark

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:33 pm

BigDonOKC wrote:free drop bill is on 2 cards -
Needs the weather to cooperate for the plane ride out of Florida.
stark

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:37 pm

BigDonOKC wrote:don't know about the Santa Anita card

Bolt d'Oro
Lombo
Ayacara
McKinzie
Aquila
Calexman
Peace
Kanthaka
Sparrow Castle

Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:19 pm

Jeremy Balan Verified account @BH_JBalan
27m27 minutes ago
Owner/trainer Mick Ruis says he will not run Bolt d'Oro in the San Felipe if the main track is sloppy. Next week's Rebel is Plan B.

“If you have a horse this good, and you don’t have to run on a sloppy track and have more options, wouldn’t you run for $900,000 on a fast track?"
stark

Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:52 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Jeremy Balan Verified account @BH_JBalan
27m27 minutes ago
Owner/trainer Mick Ruis says he will not run Bolt d'Oro in the San Felipe if the main track is sloppy. Next week's Rebel is Plan B.

“If you have a horse this good, and you don’t have to run on a sloppy track and have more options, wouldn’t you run for $900,000 on a fast track?"

Jeremy Balan
‏@BH_JBalan

For what it's worth, with rain possible this weekend, this was Bob Baffert's response to possibly running McKinzie on a wet track.

"Rain, sleet, or snow."
Sparrow Castle

Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:56 pm

stark wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:Jeremy Balan Verified account @BH_JBalan
27m27 minutes ago

Jeremy Balan
‏@BH_JBalan

For what it's worth, with rain possible this weekend, this was Bob Baffert's response to possibly running McKinzie on a wet track.

"Rain, sleet, or snow."
Jeremy Balan Verified account @BH_JBalan
41m41 minutes ago
Let's parse this a bit, because the reaction has been harsh. The Rebel's purse is $500,000 more than the San Felipe's. Would it stand to reason, or at least help explain the idea, that if you're going to run in mud, why not run for more money? And the Rebel might not be muddy.
stark

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:29 pm

The Gotham field, in post order:

1 Dial Operator Trevor McCarthy

2 Cove Blue Chris Landeros

3 Beautiful Shot Angel Arroyo

4 Whereshetoldmetogo Joe Rocco Jr.

5 Firenze Fire Manny Franco

6 Free Drop Billy Dylan Davis *cross entered @ TampaBay

7 Old Time Revival Steve Hamilton

8 Nine Route Kendrick Carmouche

9 Enticed Junior Alvarado *cross entered @ Tampa Bay
Treve

Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:34 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:If they really want to have an international flavor to the Derby, some of those races should be win and you're in type qualifiers.

Stark, it turns out that they are, according to this from the above article;
"Victory in this rearranged contest, which was lost to snow last week, earned Gronkowski 20 points in the European 'Road to the Kentucky Derby' with the leader at the end of the series earning a spot in the first leg of the US Triple Crown on May 5, provided they have been nominated."

I don't know what other races are in this "series," but I think one race was supposed to have been run at Dundalk last week. That race, where Coolmore's Mendelssohn was scheduled to race, wasn't run due to "The Beast From the East" horrible weather. Don't know if that one's been rescheduled. :?
Yes I believe that one was rescheduled for Friday.
And there is one last 30 point race at the end of march if I remember correctly on the European road to the KY Derby. I don't know how it works if one of them would run in Dubai though...
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
stark

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Jeremy Noseda
‏@JeremyNoseda

Gronkowski has come out of last night's race well. The road to Kentucky and the first Saturday in May is a little bit clearer now. All being well, we'll head to the US next for either the Blue Grass or Wood Memorial. Will finalise plans with @PhoenixThoroug1 & @amerabdulaziz