Border Run Story

Curtis

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:39 pm

For his fans. Patricia McQueen posted a story featuring Border Run today.
https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/arti ... ther-look/
WarBiscuit

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:47 pm

Thanks Curtis! What a great story. Sounds like he can be quite the character at times. He's lucky to have found you.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
stark

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:53 pm

Very cool, thanks for sharing.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Starine

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:00 pm

Thank you for sharing -- I enjoyed the write-up very much and think you are wonderful to provide a home to these horses.
Ridan_Remembered

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:08 pm

Wow, Border Run. I remember him when he was racing in Southern California. Secretariat was a very playful horse, and many of his kids and grandkids had that same playful quality. In addition to Border, the ones I particularly remember having playful streaks even in their racing days are his brother, Pancho Villa, the great Lady's Secret, and a grandson, Al Mamoon.

Just editing to add a huge thank you for loving Border and making his senior years happy. There are only a handful of people and animals whom I have loved profoundly. Secretariat is one of them. Border's story kind of brings it all full circle, and for that I can't thank you enough.
Last edited by Ridan_Remembered on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparrow Castle

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Very nice story, Curtis. Kudo's for giving them a safe and loving home!
Diver52

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:30 pm

I saw that on Facebook--I'd love to know about the missing years but probably we never will.

BTW Curtis Quack was one of my favorites too--a son of my first favorite, T.V. Lark (now remembered, if at all, for twice handing Kelso his head on a plate in turf races, IIRC!) :D
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Dusty

Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:33 pm

Thank you Curtis! And I am so happy you have him! I have tears in my eyes = never knew what happened to him
May they run with the WIND
sweettalk

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:49 pm

AAYYYYY I've been waiting for this ever since you sent me that PM i bet i never answered!!

:D :D :D
the gelding had been given a diet appropriate for high-performance horses, not for less active older horses. “The food made him high as a kite,” he recalls.
i require immediate elaboration.
Curtis

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:57 am

sweettalk wrote:AAYYYYY I've been waiting for this ever since you sent me that PM i bet i never answered!!

:D :D :D
the gelding had been given a diet appropriate for high-performance horses, not for less active older horses. “The food made him high as a kite,” he recalls.
i require immediate elaboration.
When I bought Border, the sellers also had another OTTB, a mare, and both were a little nutty. They showed me they were feeding alfalfa and LMF Gold which in my opinion is way too much protein for fairly inactive horses. I wanted to see what Border could and, more importantly, wanted to do but I wanted to take the edge off while we were assessing him. I switched him from alfalfa to 2nd cutting Timothy and from LMF Gold to LMF Super Supplement. I also started giving him a local pellet product called Special Blend which includes Timothy and Beet Pulp. He and the others also get Biomos, Flax Meal and a salt blend—carrots and cookies too. A dressage trainer got on Border and thought he definitely had been in the show ring a time or two. The process of riding Border, though, caused him enough stress to the extent I decided to let him be a pet and he’s fine with that. My goals are modest with these guys. When I first got Anniversary Year to the point where he could be retrained, the barn asked what my goals were and I said, “to not fall off.” We were both pretty green—I tell people my riding style isn’t Western or English but White Knuckle. A.Y. knew far more go than whoa. It took a couple of years of me riding baby sitters and A.Y. getting ridden by experts but I finally got on him and did achieve my goal. Now I’m a Gentleman Farmer—well the second part is true—and they’re part of my herd. Taking care of them is, as my wife Margo states, my daily meditation or my morning Zen. I call it nice work if you can get it.
sweettalk

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:48 am

i actually meant the being high part, i absolutely pictured a spaced out, wobbly horse that would laugh at everything (if horses laugh the way humans do).

that was actually much more interesting to read, though. i love that you let them choose what they want to do - riding, pet, pasture decor, if they're happy you're happy too. you're the best.
Somnambulist

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:29 am

Curtis wrote: Now I’m a Gentleman Farmer—well the second part is true—and they’re part of my herd. Taking care of them is, as my wife Margo states, my daily meditation or my morning Zen. I call it nice work if you can get it.
I wish working with horses paid more than poverty. Everything about them is therapeutic.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Curtis

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:43 pm

sweettalk wrote:i actually meant the being high part, i absolutely pictured a spaced out, wobbly horse that would laugh at everything (if horses laugh the way humans do).

that was actually much more interesting to read, though. i love that you let them choose what they want to do - riding, pet, pasture decor, if they're happy you're happy too. you're the best.
You pretty much described Anniversary Year the night we claimed him except if you switch out the laughing for snapping at a, then, 5yo Anna as she was offering up treats. He’s a big ole 17.1h puppy dog now though. A.Y. and Border do often get the munchies, however, and this is WA State. Maybe I need to get that Timothy analyzed........