Border Run Story

Border Run Story

Postby Curtis » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:39 pm

For his fans. Patricia McQueen posted a story featuring Border Run today.
https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/arti ... ther-look/
Curtis

Re: Border Run Story

Postby WarBiscuit » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:47 pm

Thanks Curtis! What a great story. Sounds like he can be quite the character at times. He's lucky to have found you.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby stark » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:53 pm

Very cool, thanks for sharing.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Starine » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:00 pm

Thank you for sharing -- I enjoyed the write-up very much and think you are wonderful to provide a home to these horses.
Starine

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:08 pm

Wow, Border Run. I remember him when he was racing in Southern California. Secretariat was a very playful horse, and many of his kids and grandkids had that same playful quality. In addition to Border, the ones I particularly remember having playful streaks even in their racing days are his brother, Pancho Villa, the great Lady's Secret, and a grandson, Al Mamoon.

Just editing to add a huge thank you for loving Border and making his senior years happy. There are only a handful of people and animals whom I have loved profoundly. Secretariat is one of them. Border's story kind of brings it all full circle, and for that I can't thank you enough.
Last edited by Ridan_Remembered on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ridan_Remembered

Postby Sparrow Castle » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Very nice story, Curtis. Kudo's for giving them a safe and loving home!
Sparrow Castle

Postby Diver52 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:30 pm

I saw that on Facebook--I'd love to know about the missing years but probably we never will.

BTW Curtis Quack was one of my favorites too--a son of my first favorite, T.V. Lark (now remembered, if at all, for twice handing Kelso his head on a plate in turf races, IIRC!) :D
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby Dusty » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:33 pm

Thank you Curtis! And I am so happy you have him! I have tears in my eyes = never knew what happened to him
May they run with the WIND
Dusty

Postby sweettalk » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:49 pm

AAYYYYY I've been waiting for this ever since you sent me that PM i bet i never answered!!

:D :D :D

the gelding had been given a diet appropriate for high-performance horses, not for less active older horses. “The food made him high as a kite,” he recalls.

i require immediate elaboration.
Get out to Lenny’s for their big grand opening sale. Find eight government secrets and get a free kidnapping and personality reassignment so that you’ll forget you found them!
sweettalk

Postby Curtis » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:57 am

sweettalk wrote:AAYYYYY I've been waiting for this ever since you sent me that PM i bet i never answered!!

:D :D :D

the gelding had been given a diet appropriate for high-performance horses, not for less active older horses. “The food made him high as a kite,” he recalls.

i require immediate elaboration.

When I bought Border, the sellers also had another OTTB, a mare, and both were a little nutty. They showed me they were feeding alfalfa and LMF Gold which in my opinion is way too much protein for fairly inactive horses. I wanted to see what Border could and, more importantly, wanted to do but I wanted to take the edge off while we were assessing him. I switched him from alfalfa to 2nd cutting Timothy and from LMF Gold to LMF Super Supplement. I also started giving him a local pellet product called Special Blend which includes Timothy and Beet Pulp. He and the others also get Biomos, Flax Meal and a salt blend—carrots and cookies too. A dressage trainer got on Border and thought he definitely had been in the show ring a time or two. The process of riding Border, though, caused him enough stress to the extent I decided to let him be a pet and he’s fine with that. My goals are modest with these guys. When I first got Anniversary Year to the point where he could be retrained, the barn asked what my goals were and I said, “to not fall off.” We were both pretty green—I tell people my riding style isn’t Western or English but White Knuckle. A.Y. knew far more go than whoa. It took a couple of years of me riding baby sitters and A.Y. getting ridden by experts but I finally got on him and did achieve my goal. Now I’m a Gentleman Farmer—well the second part is true—and they’re part of my herd. Taking care of them is, as my wife Margo states, my daily meditation or my morning Zen. I call it nice work if you can get it.
Curtis

Next

Return to Racing