Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

stark

Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:17 pm

Brian Beach
‏@Cougzag

Sept 5th update: #VictorEspinoza had his neck brace removed today but has not been cleared to ride yet. The dr’s are happy with his progress but he still has a ways to go to regain strength in his left arm. Victor is in good spirits and appreciates all the kind wishes.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:50 pm

It's OFFICIAL

--Jockey Kent Desormeaux was fined $200 for using the riding crop more than three times without waiting for a response. It was the second offense in the past 60 days. (Desormeaux was later suspended three days for not riding this horse to the finish.)

Can you imagine what if Czarina were to review every race through the same microscope, one where a jockey could be fined for trying too hard, not trying hard enough, and as some would suggest being stupid all in the same 6F race?

Fair is fair.....watch some jocks run up on heels down the backstretch and have to steady their horse, a snatch 'n grab losing perhaps a couple of lengths in the process, how many days should they be suspended?

Fair is fair....watch some jocks who habitually race wide around the turns, how many days should they get for costing the gamblers/owners a chance at a win?

Fair is fair....watch how aggressive some jocks can be out of the gate putting their horse into a race without other speed while other jocks don't recognize the lack of pace and drop far back, how many days should they get for being stupid?

Some will say that KentD has a history of not riding his mounts all the way to the wire, well....if you care about history he also has 598 wins in a single year, a record that's stood for almost 30 years!
ElPrado2

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:17 pm

Mylute wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:29 pm
Quarter racing needs an exorcism. Call a priest.
Where is Thor when you need him, anyway?
Curtis

Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:09 pm

stark wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:50 pm
It's OFFICIAL

--Jockey Kent Desormeaux was fined $200 for using the riding crop more than three times without waiting for a response. It was the second offense in the past 60 days. (Desormeaux was later suspended three days for not riding this horse to the finish.)

Can you imagine what if Czarina were to review every race through the same microscope, one where a jockey could be fined for trying too hard, not trying hard enough, and as some would suggest being stupid all in the same 6F race?

Fair is fair.....watch some jocks run up on heels down the backstretch and have to steady their horse, a snatch 'n grab losing perhaps a couple of lengths in the process, how many days should they be suspended?

Fair is fair....watch some jocks who habitually race wide around the turns, how many days should they get for costing the gamblers/owners a chance at a win?

Fair is fair....watch how aggressive some jocks can be out of the gate putting their horse into a race without other speed while other jocks don't recognize the lack of pace and drop far back, how many days should they get for being stupid?

Some will say that KentD has a history of not riding his mounts all the way to the wire, well....if you care about history he also has 598 wins in a single year, a record that's stood for almost 30 years!
And I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he stopped riding every mount he didn't win on that year inside the 1/16th pole.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:18 pm

TVG just showed a photo of a happy Victor Espinoza holding up his neck brace. After six weeks, he is now free to move his neck. Therapy will continue.
They also relayed some not-so-wonderful news; CNak is headed to surgery next week to deal with two herniated discs, and will be having spinal fusion. I wonder if he will be able to return to riding after such serious work on his spine. :(
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:47 pm

LA Times writer John Cherwa has a free newsletter that I get by email. He has been publishing the stewards' minutes from Del Mar and they are always interesting.
Today's included this:
"--Jockey Assael Epinoza was fined $500 for using a riding crop when Mz Brown had obtained maximum placing on Sept. 2. It was Espinoza’s second offense. Mz Brown broke down in the stretch and was euthanized."
Assael 'Ashole' Espinoza is already responsible for CNak's serious injuries and the death of his mount. Now, it appears that he continued whipping an injured horse. Another dead horse on his ledger. :evil:
$500 isn't enough. Maybe if trainers stop using him, he'll learn to stop being a callous jerk.

BTW, if you're interested in getting John's newsletter, you can sign up here:
http://www.latimes.com/newsletters/la-n ... newsletter
stark

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:59 pm

Sorry but.....

there's no evidence that Assman continued whipping an injured horse.
the chart says the filly was pulled up in distress and vanned off.

I'm going to assume that she was travelling soundly when he used the riding crop.

Much like these guys from that same newsletter.....

--Jockey Stewart Elliott was fined $100 for using his riding crop more than three times without giving Portal Creek a chance to respond. Upon viewing the tape, Elliott admitted guilt. Portal Creek finished fifth.

--Jockey Gary Stevens was fined $200 for using the whip more than three times without allowing King of Speed to respond on Sept. 2. King of Speed won the race. It was Stevens’ second violation in last 60 days.

--Jockey Geovanni Franco was fined $300 for using a riding crop when Cat Holic had obtained maximum placing on Sept. 2. Cat Holic finished seventh.

WWCD?
(what would Czarina do?)
Curtis

Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:36 pm

stark wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:59 pm
Sorry but.....

there's no evidence that Assman continued whipping an injured horse.
the chart says the filly was pulled up in distress and vanned off.

I'm going to assume that she was travelling soundly when he used the riding crop.

Much like these guys from that same newsletter.....

--Jockey Stewart Elliott was fined $100 for using his riding crop more than three times without giving Portal Creek a chance to respond. Upon viewing the tape, Elliott admitted guilt. Portal Creek finished fifth.

--Jockey Gary Stevens was fined $200 for using the whip more than three times without allowing King of Speed to respond on Sept. 2. King of Speed won the race. It was Stevens’ second violation in last 60 days.

--Jockey Geovanni Franco was fined $300 for using a riding crop when Cat Holic had obtained maximum placing on Sept. 2. Cat Holic finished seventh.

WWCD?
(what would Czarina do?)
Who needs evidence? Just a knee that jerks thusly.
ThreeMustangs

Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:25 pm

More gossip than news, but Norm Casse and Gabby Gaudet were married today.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:04 am

Stark, I understand your point, and it's a fair one.
But I'm looking at the different ways the stewards worded their findings, and how high the fines were.
Both Stewart and Gary were fined for using their whip 'more than three times without giving' the horse a chance to respond. Their fines were $100 and $200, respectively.
Geovanni was fined $300 for what appears to be the same offense for which Assael was penalized. However, Assael was fined $500. The minutes also say "Mz Brown broke down in the stretch and was euthanized," and 'in the stretch' is usually when a rider is likely to be using his whip.
Maybe I am reading too much between the lines, but since the stewards fined Assael $200 more than Geovanni, IMHO they felt that the apprentice did something much worse than the other jockey did.
stark

Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:43 am

Marty McGee
‏@DRFMcGee

Veteran jockey Kendrick Carmouche suffered a hairline fracture of his right femur yesterday in a spill @KYDownsRacing and could undergo surgery as early as today @VUMChealth, according to the jockey himself. Could be out about 8 wks. Full details soon on http://live.drf.com .
stark

Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:57 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
But I'm looking at the different ways the stewards worded their findings, and how high the fines were.
Both Stewart and Gary were fined for using their whip 'more than three times without giving' the horse a chance to respond. Their fines were $100 and $200, respectively.
Geovanni was fined $300 for what appears to be the same offense for which Assael was penalized. However, Assael was fined $500. The minutes also say "Mz Brown broke down in the stretch and was euthanized," and 'in the stretch' is usually when a rider is likely to be using his whip.
Maybe I am reading too much between the lines, but since the stewards fined Assael $200 more than Geovanni, IMHO they felt that the apprentice did something much worse than the other jockey did.
When it comes to the crop violation rule as I understand it, the fines increase based on your overall riding infraction record in the past XX days, more violations = more money, it's not a judgement thing like how strong you are and did you leave welts.

And if all I read was the stewards minutes I would swear that they set up the curtain right on the track in the stretch and put Mz Brown to rest, BUT the chart says she was pulled up and vanned off.

And FWIW, the top three were pulling away from the field, by 18 lengths in the stretch, so Assboy probably had some sense of urgency kicking in as the race developed.
http://www.equibase.com/premium/chartEm ... y=USA&rn=7

So, lots to read into, you can find what you want and I'm by no means defending the kid or jocks in general, just understanding.
Curtis

Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:22 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Did you see the race or a replay? Mz Brown and a D’Amato filly were pushing the pace and somewhere between the 3/8 and 5/16 pole they began dropping back rapidly side by side when things got hot up front. The chart says the D’Amato filly was shut off but whatever happened, Mz Brown retreated with her as if they were joined at the hip. After that who knows? Did Morey instruct Assael to ride her out and not let her stop all the way to the wire? Was Mz Brown trying to get out or lug in? There are reasons that a jock might use the whip when a race is lost that isn’t necessarily abusive. Young Espinoza has ability but he verges on being a bull in a China Shop at times, especially coming out of the gate. I’m also thinking the stewards have been on him incessantly since the CNak race. There is a difference in development between Stevens, Franco and A. Espinoza. The older riders have earned more of the benefit of the doubt perhaps leading to the lesser fine in their cases. As far as connections not giving Assael continued opportunities look at Evin Roman, all the rage as an apprentice at DMR Summer 2017. His biggest sin to my knowledge was losing the bug, subsequently. Sometimes these things take care of themselves.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Besides that 'benefit of the doubt' from the stews, what Franco and especially Stevens have are decades of experience to learn the 'feel' of how a horse is moving. IMHO, a more experienced jock is more likely to detect when their mount feels 'wrong' underneath them, and pull them up sooner.
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stark

Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:07 pm

Can a Steward be judge and jury and decide if a jockey was trying too hard to win or was trying to lose or just lost concentration or should have known better because of years of experience or couldn't have known because he's in his first year?

Bonus......Should all penalties be referred to the NY office of the National Czarina for final decision?
Curtis

Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:51 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:56 pm
Besides that 'benefit of the doubt' from the stews, what Franco and especially Stevens have is decades of experience to learn the 'feel' of how a horse is moving. IMHO, a more experienced jock is more likely to detect when their mount feels 'wrong' underneath them, and pull them up sooner.
I still haven’t ascertained as to whether you actually watched the race. Yes Franco and Stevens have a lot more experience but unlike other sports, there are no intermediate steps or minor leagues. Also some horses just have a rough way of going and if a jock doesn’t know the horse it’s hard for them to tell if it’s that’s the horse’s normal motion , they took a funny step or if something is really wrong. The stewards minutes are in black and white, between the gate and the wire with a geeked up, 1/2 ton TB between your legs......there’s a whole lotta gray.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:14 pm

Curtis wrote:
Yes Franco and Stevens have a lot more experience but unlike other sports, there are no intermediate steps or minor leagues.
There sure are. They're called Turf Paradise, Emerald Downs, Delta Downs, Fairmount Park, etc., etc. Some outstanding jockeys still pay their dues at tracks like those before trying the majors. Too many others, though, just show up at Santa Anita or Aqueduct or Churchill Downs, get themselves an agent, ride a few in the morning and, voila, plenty of trainers just looking for someone who can make 107 pounds will gladly put them on all the mounts they can handle in the afternoon. Not sure there's anything racing can do to change that situation.
stark

Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:04 pm

There's a whole host of "new-age" handicappers who will swear that weight doesn't matter, certainly not a few pounds. They need to convince the hardboots that using an apprentice is not an advantage at 5lbs off.

Riiight.
Curtis

Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:58 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:14 pm
Curtis wrote:
Yes Franco and Stevens have a lot more experience but unlike other sports, there are no intermediate steps or minor leagues.
There sure are. They're called Turf Paradise, Emerald Downs, Delta Downs, Fairmount Park, etc., etc. Some outstanding jockeys still pay their dues at tracks like those before trying the majors. Too many others, though, just show up at Santa Anita or Aqueduct or Churchill Downs, get themselves an agent, ride a few in the morning and, voila, plenty of trainers just looking for someone who can make 107 pounds will gladly put them on all the mounts they can handle in the afternoon. Not sure there's anything racing can do to change that situation.
I live in western WA and frequent Emerald Downs. The tracks you have mentioned are on a lesser circuit but are not a minor league like exists in pro baseball or a developmental league as in pro basketball. The difference being at EMD or TUP, the horses and connections are going all out to win. The minor leagues in the other sports are as much about teaching as winning. Austin Solis, a good-pedigreed young jock, was a 7lb. bug boy in SoCal for, seemingly, eons. This summer at EMD he’s been getting on some horses and winning a few races. Just the other day he won his first stake. The difference between he and Assael Espinoza, though, is talent. Sure, the bug helps but if Espinoza couldn’t ride, he wouldn’t get mounts. He can cut off other horses and cause spills as well as, allegedly, abuse mounts at EMD or TUP or Finger Lakes or Canturbury, etc. as the horses still go 35-40 MPH. Holes still open and close quickly at all the places I mentioned, it’s just that many of the jocks at those tracks aren’t talented enough to anticipate them. The jock I mentioned earlier, Evin Roman, can really ride. Last summer, while leading the pack with the bug at DMR, he came up here to EMD and put on a riding clinic while winning the Longacres Mile, EMD’s only graded stake. This summer, without the bug, he was barely a blip on the DMR leader board. As I said before, if Assael doesn’t smooth the edges a bit, things will take care of themselves once the 5lb allowance goes away.
Mylute

Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:52 pm

Well, Jerry Bozzo broke his record again last week.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GulfstreamPa ... 7687701504
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞