Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

stark

Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:09 pm

SSilence86 wrote:Delaware Park has issued a statement...
https://twitter.com/DelParkRacing/statu ... 96768?s=19
I know some people have difficulty accessing twitter links, so here it is....

DTRC advised @DelParkRacing that Stewards completed thorough investigation
of gate incident before 5th race 6/14 & no disciplinary action will be
taken against ast str. Based upon this determination, ast str, who has
been on suspension since, will be allowed to return to post

The on-line comments so far are approximately 117-0 against the ruling.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:11 pm

Prominent owner Charles Fipke has been ordered by the California Horse Racing Board to pay jockey Joel Rosario $110,000 as a result of a situation that developed last fall when Rosario was given the call to ride Forever Unbridled in the Breeders’ Cup Distaff at Del Mar, but was replaced days before the race by John Velazquez.
WarBiscuit

Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:21 pm

SSilence86 wrote:Delaware Park has issued a statement...

https://twitter.com/DelParkRacing/statu ... 96768?s=19
So, in other words, moving forward, it's OK to do that. Judging from the social media uproar, Delaware Park didn't make any new friends today. Not the best PR job I've seen...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:41 pm

IIRC, the owner of the horse was of the opinion that the starter should not lose his job.
The owner's opinion carries more weight for me than 117 anonymous tweeters.
WarBiscuit

Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:00 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:IIRC, the owner of the horse was of the opinion that the starter should not lose his job.
Well, that was the opinion that the owner finally settled on. Perhaps a bit of softening up, or arm twisting on the part of DP to prevent the eye from turning black? Nah, that would never happen in horse racing... :shock:

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
The Doctors Saint

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:08 am

When this happened to this horse and it got all the attention online. I took the time to watch all Accolade's previous starts. The horse under Cristophe Clemente was fine in the gate. as a matter of fact I was quite touched at how the starter in his first race at Belmont was so gentle and reassuring with him in the gate. Accolade was claimed on 03/23 this year from Cheyenne stables and new trainer became Abel Castellano, owner Glenn Fagan. Accolade has been ridden by Daniel Centeno both times he had trouble in the gate; the second time was when the asst. starter did what he did (I also watched that several times slowed down to 1/4 speed).
I don't go to the track; I've never bet on a horse. But I have two of these that I've had the pleasure to know for many years now and they have shown me how crazy smart and scary athletic and very forgiving they can be at times. I hope whatever the future holds for Accolade is something that he can be good at where he doesn't get banged in the head for being afraid.
Treve

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:25 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:IIRC, the owner of the horse was of the opinion that the starter should not lose his job.
You can take disciplinary action without firing someone, though.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:09 am

He has been on suspension until now, so I guess you could call that a bit of 'disciplinary action.' :?
I also hope that looking back at what happened will have caused the man to reflect on his actions...and endeavor to never lose his cool again.
I'd guess that the stewards have warned him that if he ever does something like that again, they won't be as forgiving as they were this time.
katmandu

Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:58 pm

Thank you Mr. Hovdey (who is married to a high profile ex-jockey) for adding an informed and enlightened voice to this topic:

http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-starting ... red-scream

"You’ve got to use a little finesse and horsemanship to get by now" (veteran California starter Gary Brinson)
MySaladDays

Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:24 am

not for me.

sounds like these people don't know where the line needs to be drawn.

I don't care if the Pope thinks it's okay.
Punching a horse in the face 4 times, (esp. AFTER the horse has settled) is unconscionable from an ethical standpoint for me.

I was sickened by what I saw.

you could be doing a great job most of your life and then the stress gets to you, age gets to you......the starter needs to not be working with live animals anymore, and probably could use some psychiatric evaluation.

Its like the spouse who suddenly "loses it" one day and beats on the other spouse. That is a warning flag. Something changed.
stark

Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:49 pm

Jockey Geovanni Franco, who finished second in the standings at the spring-summer meeting at Santa Anita that ended last Sunday, will not ride the next few weks at Los Alamitos.

Franco has been diagnosed with a tender knee and may ride on the racing week starting on July 12, according to his agent, James Giannone.
Sparrow Castle

Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:32 pm

Dettori Ends Retainer With Al Shaqab
Jockey Frankie Dettori has ended his formal association with Al Shaqab Racing, reported Racing Post on Monday. Dettori, who will still ride for Sheikh Joaan’s stable on occasion, has chosen to emphasize his association with trainer John Gosden.

“It is all very amicable and we now have a gentleman’s agreement with Frankie,” Al Shaqab’s Racing Manager Alison Begley told Racing Post. “Frankie’s contract always went from July to July, so his contract with us has now come to an end. We would have signed Frankie for another year, but he is very keen to be free to ride John Gosden’s horses and contacted Sheikh Joaan directly to say as much, although he also made clear he would like to ride for us on the bigger days.”
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/de ... al-shaqab/
PJMIII

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:35 am

Tyler Gaffalione Wins Sixth Riding Title at Gulfstream

23-year-old jockey edged Emisael Jaramillo 63-61.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... gulfstream
stark

Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:12 pm

ELMONT, N.Y. – David Jacobson, the leading trainer on the New York Racing Association circuit in 2013-14, has turned over his New York stable to trainer Gary Gullo so he can concentrate on his string in Southern California.

story @ DRF
stark

Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:11 pm

Corey Lanerie went shopping for his wife’s tombstone Thursday. He left the decisions to his daughter, Brittlyn, and then left her with family to catch a flight to Chicago

Fifteen days after Shantel Lanerie’s shocking death, her jockey husband is scheduled to climb back in the saddle for Saturday’s sixth race at Arlington Park. He would like to have had a longer layoff, but he wants to find out how well he can focus on his job, and how well his job can divert him from his mourning.

“I don’t know if I’m strange or just strong, but I know my wife’s in a better place,” Lanerie said Thursday afternoon. “She would want me to be happy. She’d be like, ‘You need to go out and make money.’"

more at...
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/s ... 760693002/
stark

Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:36 pm

Mike Smith, who won the Triple Crown aboard Justify, is being honored in a special way by his home state of New Mexico.

The state's governor, Susana Martinez, has proclaimed Sunday as "Mike E. Smith Day" across New Mexico, according to a press release from Ruidoso Downs. Smith will be at the New Mexico track Sunday to sign posters as part of a fundraiser for the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund. The rider is based in Southern California.

http://www.drf.com/news/new-mexico-gove ... -smith-day
katmandu

Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:41 pm

Race 10 - July 8 at Belmont

In the FWIW department, the winner, Accolade is the horse that was "round housed" at Delaware Park.

https://www.nyra.com/belmont/racing/replays
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:38 pm

"Round housed?" :?
Nevermind. You meant that's the colt who got smacked by the assistant starter.
I'm happy that he has gone on to win. Hopefully, that means he's in good shape mentally, as well as physically.
Flanders

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:45 pm

Champion trainer John Dunlop has passed away.
https://www.racingpost.com/news/classic ... -78/338096
katmandu

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:49 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:"Round housed?" :?
Nevermind. You meant that's the colt who got smacked by the assistant starter.
I'm happy that he has gone on to win. Hopefully, that means he's in good shape mentally, as well as physically.
It's slang for punched. I meant exactly what I said. Anyway, yes, good to see a positive result.