Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

Katewerk

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:51 pm

katmandu wrote:
Katewerk wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The owner of Accolade has issued a second statement, and he sounds a bit less angry with the assistant starter. There are also some comments after the article that provide some insights/observations/opinions that consider the starter's actions as much less than 'animal cruelty.'
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the ... d-spirits/

Read the comments, in particular this one from "gundawgva" that describes the action in the gate, and then watch the video again. http://disq.us/p/1tbrh99
Hello Katewerk - Did your perception of the incident change as a function of reading the poster's comments? How did you see it before and then after reading comment?
In my other life I'm a political blogger, so I see a ton of videos of this type. One has truly be careful about them, because the addition of a written description will bias the viewer to see what the writer wants them to see. Fortify that with a host of outrage monkeys screaming for blood, and the question of whether the description is even consistent with the video is completely forgotten.

I don't work in a starting gate but I had many years in the saddle before the dog game forced a choice, and I know how powerful that animal can be. And I know how a video of correcting an animal 1/10th it's size -- a dangerously misbehaving canine -- can elicit like responses from viewers who really dont' understand what they're watching. So, my initial reaction was that the assistant starter had been stung and was reacting to that. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in that regard.

After reading more information from a different perspective, that pointed out details I hadn't noticed -- like the horse trying to get his head down. -- I can't say my mind was changed but it added more context, and so I'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

But that's just my opinion as a fan of the sport. What I really hope is that the officials who rule on the incident do so from a basis of factual evidence and first hand knowledge of the job, and not take the easy way out and sacrifice the guy to the outrage volcano.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:27 pm

Sorry, I meant to point out which of those lovely ladies are Shantel. Here's a picture of her with the family and a link to the press release, which talks about the breast cancer chemo complication that took her life.

Churchill Downs PR @DerbyMedia
Shantel Lanerie, beloved wife of @ChurchillDowns 15x champion jockey Corey Lanerie & devoted mother of their 10yo daughter Brittlyn, passed away Friday. She was 42. Join us in extending our heartfelt condolences to their family & numerous friends. More: https://bit.ly/2MT3npY
katmandu

Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:26 pm

Katewerk wrote:In my other life I'm a political blogger, so I see a ton of videos of this type. One has truly be careful about them, because the addition of a written description will bias the viewer to see what the writer wants them to see. Fortify that with a host of outrage monkeys screaming for blood, and the question of whether the description is even consistent with the video is completely forgotten.

I don't work in a starting gate but I had many years in the saddle before the dog game forced a choice, and I know how powerful that animal can be. And I know how a video of correcting an animal 1/10th it's size -- a dangerously misbehaving canine -- can elicit like responses from viewers who really dont' understand what they're watching. So, my initial reaction was that the assistant starter had been stung and was reacting to that. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in that regard.

After reading more information from a different perspective, that pointed out details I hadn't noticed -- like the horse trying to get his head down. -- I can't say my mind was changed but it added more context, and so I'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

But that's just my opinion as a fan of the sport. What I really hope is that the officials who rule on the incident do so from a basis of factual evidence and first hand knowledge of the job, and not take the easy way out and sacrifice the guy to the outrage volcano.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. My initial observation and subsequent perception of the event did not change as a function of this comment, so I was curious why reading someone else's interpretation would change your interpretation. I do get that someone may notice something I missed and that's OK, always willing to learn! I'm not really interested in going further than this but will say that the starter said he got frustrated.
bare it all

Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:38 am

From what I understand, it wasn’t even the cancer. I mean, it was but wasn’t. Stage 1 breast cancer - so they caught it early and prognosis was likely good. Sepsis post surgery took her. I’m not trying to downplay her cancer at all - I just want to push the awareness of what complications can arise from any surgery/illness. Sepsis is so common but never spoken about.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:52 pm

So true. I have a friend battling leukemia, and the chemo leaves her so vulnerable to infections and illnesses that sometimes she dare not leave the house. :(
Ingrid

Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:54 pm

bare it all wrote:From what I understand, it wasn’t even the cancer. I mean, it was but wasn’t. Stage 1 breast cancer - so they caught it early and prognosis was likely good. Sepsis post surgery took her. I’m not trying to downplay her cancer at all - I just want to push the awareness of what complications can arise from any surgery/illness. Sepsis is so common but never spoken about.
My uncle had a stroke and aside from the typical side effects, he seemed okay. A year later he ended up hospitalized with sepsis and died.
"Grief is the price we pay for love." - Gretchen Jackson
stark

Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:50 am

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:26 pm

BaroqueAgain1

Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:14 pm

Good news for Belmont and its employees; hantavirus has been ruled out as cause of death of the stable worker.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... -employee/
Sadly, it was apparently another incident of fatal sepsis. :(
SSilence86

Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:20 pm

Delaware Park has issued a statement...

https://twitter.com/DelParkRacing/statu ... 96768?s=19
stark

Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:09 pm

SSilence86 wrote:Delaware Park has issued a statement...
I know some people have difficulty accessing twitter links, so here it is....

DTRC advised @DelParkRacing that Stewards completed thorough investigation
of gate incident before 5th race 6/14 & no disciplinary action will be
taken against ast str. Based upon this determination, ast str, who has
been on suspension since, will be allowed to return to post

The on-line comments so far are approximately 117-0 against the ruling.
stark

Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:11 pm

Prominent owner Charles Fipke has been ordered by the California Horse Racing Board to pay jockey Joel Rosario $110,000 as a result of a situation that developed last fall when Rosario was given the call to ride Forever Unbridled in the Breeders’ Cup Distaff at Del Mar, but was replaced days before the race by John Velazquez.
WarBiscuit

Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:21 pm

SSilence86 wrote:Delaware Park has issued a statement...

So, in other words, moving forward, it's OK to do that. Judging from the social media uproar, Delaware Park didn't make any new friends today. Not the best PR job I've seen...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:41 pm

IIRC, the owner of the horse was of the opinion that the starter should not lose his job.
The owner's opinion carries more weight for me than 117 anonymous tweeters.
WarBiscuit

Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:00 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:IIRC, the owner of the horse was of the opinion that the starter should not lose his job.
Well, that was the opinion that the owner finally settled on. Perhaps a bit of softening up, or arm twisting on the part of DP to prevent the eye from turning black? Nah, that would never happen in horse racing... :shock:

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
The Doctors Saint

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:08 am

When this happened to this horse and it got all the attention online. I took the time to watch all Accolade's previous starts. The horse under Cristophe Clemente was fine in the gate. as a matter of fact I was quite touched at how the starter in his first race at Belmont was so gentle and reassuring with him in the gate. Accolade was claimed on 03/23 this year from Cheyenne stables and new trainer became Abel Castellano, owner Glenn Fagan. Accolade has been ridden by Daniel Centeno both times he had trouble in the gate; the second time was when the asst. starter did what he did (I also watched that several times slowed down to 1/4 speed).
I don't go to the track; I've never bet on a horse. But I have two of these that I've had the pleasure to know for many years now and they have shown me how crazy smart and scary athletic and very forgiving they can be at times. I hope whatever the future holds for Accolade is something that he can be good at where he doesn't get banged in the head for being afraid.
Treve

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:25 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:IIRC, the owner of the horse was of the opinion that the starter should not lose his job.
You can take disciplinary action without firing someone, though.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:09 am

He has been on suspension until now, so I guess you could call that a bit of 'disciplinary action.' :?
I also hope that looking back at what happened will have caused the man to reflect on his actions...and endeavor to never lose his cool again.
I'd guess that the stewards have warned him that if he ever does something like that again, they won't be as forgiving as they were this time.
katmandu

Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:58 pm

Thank you Mr. Hovdey (who is married to a high profile ex-jockey) for adding an informed and enlightened voice to this topic:

http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-starting ... red-scream

"You’ve got to use a little finesse and horsemanship to get by now" (veteran California starter Gary Brinson)
MySaladDays

Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:24 am

not for me.

sounds like these people don't know where the line needs to be drawn.

I don't care if the Pope thinks it's okay.
Punching a horse in the face 4 times, (esp. AFTER the horse has settled) is unconscionable from an ethical standpoint for me.

I was sickened by what I saw.

you could be doing a great job most of your life and then the stress gets to you, age gets to you......the starter needs to not be working with live animals anymore, and probably could use some psychiatric evaluation.

Its like the spouse who suddenly "loses it" one day and beats on the other spouse. That is a warning flag. Something changed.