Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

stark
Posts: 4088
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:59 am

Pretty sure that if we only had a national racing commissioner they would opt for the European style and get those assistant guys out of the gate completely, problem solved going forward.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4879
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:24 pm

Craig Brogden@craigbrogden
27m27 minutes ago
Craig Brogden Retweeted TAB Racing
This Is absolutely incredible

@TAB_Racing
One of the most extraordinary wins you will ever see on a racetrack. Jockey @AaronKuru comes off his horse, Des De Jeu, at the first jump only to remount and go and win!
Video: https://twitter.com/TAB_Racing/status/1 ... 4990548992
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4879
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:49 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Craig Brogden@craigbrogden
27m27 minutes ago
Craig Brogden Retweeted TAB Racing
This Is absolutely incredible

@TAB_Racing
One of the most extraordinary wins you will ever see on a racetrack. Jockey @AaronKuru comes off his horse, Des De Jeu, at the first jump only to remount and go and win!
Video: https://twitter.com/TAB_Racing/status/1 ... 4990548992
Michael Guerin @GuerinSports
For those stunned by that Aaron Kuru “Houdini” on his way to winning the steeplechase at Awapuni today here are some more angles including an amazing head-on. Remarkable stuff
Video: https://twitter.com/GuerinSports/status ... 7450338304
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9879
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:54 pm

Near the end of this brief Paulick article about the starter beating the horse at Delaware is a statement from the owner of Accolade....a VERY unhappy owner. :shock:
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... ing-horse/
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4879
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Sparrow Castle wrote:Craig Brogden@craigbrogden
27m27 minutes ago
Craig Brogden Retweeted TAB Racing
This Is absolutely incredible

@TAB_Racing
One of the most extraordinary wins you will ever see on a racetrack. Jockey @AaronKuru comes off his horse, Des De Jeu, at the first jump only to remount and go and win!
Video: https://twitter.com/TAB_Racing/status/1 ... 4990548992
Michael Guerin @GuerinSports
For those stunned by that Aaron Kuru “Houdini” on his way to winning the steeplechase at Awapuni today here are some more angles including an amazing head-on. Remarkable stuff
Video: https://twitter.com/GuerinSports/status ... 7450338304
NZ Race Results @nzraceresults
9h9 hours ago
Replying to @WHR
Stewards report on Aaron Kuru
Image
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4879
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:15 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Near the end of this brief Paulick article about the starter beating the horse at Delaware is a statement from the owner of Accolade....a VERY unhappy owner. :shock:
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... ing-horse/
And rightfully livid. I'd feel the same way if it had been one of my horses. No excuse for Delaware Park officials not to reach out to the owner to apologize for the mistreatment of their horse by their employee and maybe offer some recompense, even if only a free food voucher. You'd never know this business depends on having lots of owners.
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:27 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Near the end of this brief Paulick article about the starter beating the horse at Delaware is a statement from the owner of Accolade....a VERY unhappy owner. :shock:
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... ing-horse/
This is bad business on the part of Delaware Park all the way around. Can't understand how you expect to calm a horse down by repeatedly bashing him in the head. If I had placed a wager on that horse, and then watched him being cold cocked in the gate by some idiot I'd be mighty upset. But that is secondary, as the blatant abuse of the animal is what is infuriating. Owner sounds like a decent guy, and I'm glad that he spoke up. DP needs to make an example of this asst. starter and fire him, and Mr. Fagan may wish to take his horse home...

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
stark
Posts: 4088
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:34 pm

Curious......do assistant gate starters have union representation?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4394
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:20 pm

I'm glad he got suspended but yikes @ Delaware not reaching out. But it is good to see owners advocating for the well-being of their horses.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
lurkey mclurker
Posts: 2234
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:03 pm

G @LongBallToNoOne
4h 4 hours ago

Nanako Fujita rode two winners on the weekend.
She now has 31 wins in total which means she can now ride Group 1s and her allowance has been reduced from 3kg down to 2kg #goNanako
She was riding Berg Katze (JPN) - pictured - a 2015 colt by Roses in May, for his first win in 11 starts.
Image
katmandu
Posts: 997
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:16 am

Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:06 am

I'm not sure which looks younger to me, the jockey or the horse. . .
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4394
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:49 pm

SSilence86 wrote:Just horrifying...

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/43140-femal ... lmont-park
What is that quote again? Men are afraid women will laugh at them, and women are afraid men will kill them? :(
As a side note, it shows well the supportiveness of the backside community that other workers immediately caught him, preventing him from escaping. I can't think of many other fields of work or communities where people would so willingly go after a person that had just stabbed someone.

Condolences to her family and coworkers.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4394
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:49 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:
G @LongBallToNoOne
4h 4 hours ago

Nanako Fujita rode two winners on the weekend.
She now has 31 wins in total which means she can now ride Group 1s and her allowance has been reduced from 3kg down to 2kg #goNanako
She was riding Berg Katze (JPN) - pictured - a 2015 colt by Roses in May, for his first win in 11 starts.
Image
Congrats to her!
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9879
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:52 pm

Congratulations to Nanako Fujita. I'm also pleased that Roses In May is still siring winners. :D
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9879
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Chris Kotulak is apparently leaving Remington to take a management position at Fonner Park in Nebraska.
https://twitter.com/chriskotulak
Chris was always one of my favorite analyst/hosts at TVG and he has been a welcome voice from Remington for the last seven years. I wish him well in what could be a challenging career change. Maybe we'll be seeing racing from Fonner on TVG soon? ;) :D
SSilence86
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:46 pm

Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Delaware Park said that they were "still taking things into accout" and a decision should be coming this week concerning the assistant starter.
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:51 pm

SSilence86 wrote:Delaware Park said that they were "still taking things into accout" and a decision should be coming this week concerning the assistant starter.
This is some good PR.

The whole leaves me feeling extremely unclean.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9879
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:59 pm

The owner of Accolade has issued a second statement, and he sounds a bit less angry with the assistant starter. There are also some comments after the article that provide some insights/observations/opinions that consider the starter's actions as much less than 'animal cruelty.'
User avatar
Katewerk
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:28 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The owner of Accolade has issued a second statement, and he sounds a bit less angry with the assistant starter. There are also some comments after the article that provide some insights/observations/opinions that consider the starter's actions as much less than 'animal cruelty.'
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the ... d-spirits/

Read the comments, in particular this one from "gundawgva" that describes the action in the gate, and then watch the video again. http://disq.us/p/1tbrh99
Post Reply