Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

MySaladDays
Posts: 907
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:16 am

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:54 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:That explains why all the Phoenix-owned horses, not just the US-bound Gronkowski, were removed from Noseda's barn. :shock:
Noseda will face charges.

If it happened here he'd be given a wrist-slap, run his horses under another trainer's name during a short suspension (if any), and carry on as usual.
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4090
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:17 pm

MySaladDays wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:That explains why all the Phoenix-owned horses, not just the US-bound Gronkowski, were removed from Noseda's barn. :shock:
Noseda will face charges.

If it happened here he'd be given a wrist-slap, run his horses under another trainer's name during a short suspension (if any), and carry on as usual.
I suspect he will receive a ban like Al Zarooni.

In happier news:

Injured Rider St. Julien Continues Recovery, Walking With Assistance
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/peop ... ssistance/
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4959
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 pm

Thanks, Starine. It's really good to hear the news about Marlon St. Julien, especially this from the linked DRF article:
...St. Julien, who had surgery the day after his accident, was able to walk with assistance to the ambulance, according to Robyn Dean, the wife of St. Julien’s agent, Bobby Dean. Robyn Dean has served as a medical liaison for St. Julien since he was first transported to the hospital.

St. Julien, 46, was slow to regain feeling in his arms, had to overcome pneumonia after his surgery, and was intubated and confined to the intensive-care unit at Mercy. But his breathing tube was removed several days ago, St. Julien is communicating comfortably, and on Tuesday, Dean said, he sat up on his own for more than 90 minutes.

“Marlon doesn’t think he’ll be permanently disabled,” Dean said.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4959
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:33 pm

Jeremy Balan Verified account@BH_JBalan
19m19 minutes ago
Trainer Peter Eurton has been fined $500 by the Santa Anita stewards for "failure to properly report the gelding" of Indian Gulch for a race May 13. Indian Gulch was scratched prior to the race.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4959
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:32 pm

I pass through Meeking's barn on the way to see our horses, and he's always up for a good laugh. Recently as we walked by we asked him who he had running that day and he replied, "Oh, I don't know but they'll tell me pretty soon" (pointing to his serious-looking stable staff). We all knew it was 11 year old Trelawny who is one of my favorite horses at the track.

Nice to see these guys honored in this way; they make me feel young, lol.

Emerald Downs Cards Race for Nonagenarian Trainers
Emerald Downs will card a unique race June 17. There will not only be age restrictions on the horses, but on the trainers, too.

Sunday's sixth race—the "Not in Any Rocking Chair Starter Allowance"—is for 3-year-olds and older who have started for a claiming price of $3,500 or less in 2017-2018 and whose trainer was born on or prior to June 6, 1928.

In other words, the race is open to horses whose trainers are at least 90 years old—and Emerald Downs has several. The horses in Sunday's race are conditioned by 94-year-old Arturo Arboleda, 91-year-old H.R. Pat Mullens, 90-year-old Ira Rhodes, and 90-year-old Bob Meeking, who celebrated his birthday June 6.

"We thought this would be a great way to honor these guys on Father's Day," said Phil Ziegler, president of Emerald Downs. "What other sport could a 90-year-old still be out knocking heads with the younger guys and gals?"
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... qus_thread
WarBiscuit
Posts: 1292
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:40 pm
Location: Mount Clemens, MI / Hawks Nest, WV

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:I pass through Meeking's barn on the way to see our horses, and he's always up for a good laugh. Recently as we walked by we asked him who he had running that day and he replied, "Oh, I don't know but they'll tell me pretty soon" (pointing to his serious-looking stable staff). We all knew it was 11 year old Trelawny who is one of my favorite horses at the track.

Nice to see these guys honored in this way; they make me feel young, lol.

Emerald Downs Cards Race for Nonagenarian Trainers
Emerald Downs will card a unique race June 17. There will not only be age restrictions on the horses, but on the trainers, too.

Sunday's sixth race—the "Not in Any Rocking Chair Starter Allowance"—is for 3-year-olds and older who have started for a claiming price of $3,500 or less in 2017-2018 and whose trainer was born on or prior to June 6, 1928.

In other words, the race is open to horses whose trainers are at least 90 years old—and Emerald Downs has several. The horses in Sunday's race are conditioned by 94-year-old Arturo Arboleda, 91-year-old H.R. Pat Mullens, 90-year-old Ira Rhodes, and 90-year-old Bob Meeking, who celebrated his birthday June 6.

"We thought this would be a great way to honor these guys on Father's Day," said Phil Ziegler, president of Emerald Downs. "What other sport could a 90-year-old still be out knocking heads with the younger guys and gals?"
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... qus_thread
That's pretty awesome. I'll bet those guys have some stories to tell! Good for Emerald Downs - a nice way to acknowledge these gentlemen for their dedication to the sport.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
SSilence86
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:46 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:46 pm

Not a jockey or trainer... assistant starter.

I hope he is fired.

Check out @MarkBowers1’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/MarkBowers1/status/ ... 44674?s=09
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:54 pm

That looks flat-out disgusting and is painful to watch. I'm curious what that meeting yields.

I sincerely hope that does not go viral. Ugh.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:07 pm

I know that it's impossible to tell anything without context but how is a meeting on Saturday? If I messed up at work in ANY capacity a meeting would be scheduled the same day.

It is tough to defend this game sometimes.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4959
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:14 pm

SSilence86 wrote:Not a jockey or trainer... assistant starter.

I hope he is fired.

Check out @MarkBowers1’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/MarkBowers1/status/ ... 44674?s=09
Oh poor Accolade. Looks like the assistant starter is in the wrong job if he wont control himself with a fractious baby. Yes, it should be dealt with immediately.
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:16 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Yes, it should be dealt with immediately.
Right?! Not a day from now. I get that it's hard to arrange things but this is a massive PR problem that is waiting to go viral. I am reminding very myself hard right now that assholes are in every industry.

This on top of the gaining traction of the Restoring Hope drama.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
SSilence86
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:46 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:21 pm

He is "suspended", until the meeting on Saturday.

He should have been fired immediately.
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:23 pm

It's 2018. You can't fire anyone immediately without a meeting.

Why this meeting is 48 hours in the future, though, is beyond me.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
katmandu
Posts: 1006
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:16 am

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:24 pm

If you can't discipline yourself, you can not discipline/train an animal.
SSilence86
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:46 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:26 pm

Somnambulist wrote:It's 2018. You can't fire anyone immediately without a meeting.

Why this meeting is 48 hours in the future, though, is beyond me.

You're right. It should've been done that day or first thing next morning.

As for it going viral, it's on Twitter. I saw it, and HRN has it up too.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9879
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:27 pm

The Twitter vid won't play for me; would someone be willing to describe what happened? :?
SSilence86
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:46 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:29 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The Twitter vid won't play for me; would someone be willing to describe what happened? :?

There's 7 horse- Accolade acted up, so the assistant starter repeatedly struck the horse.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9879
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:35 pm

Repeatedly!?
WTF. :evil:
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4404
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:35 pm

SSilence86 wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The Twitter vid won't play for me; would someone be willing to describe what happened? :?

There's 7 horse- Accolade acted up, so the assistant starter repeatedly struck the horse.
Accolade acted up a little, the assistant starter manhandles his head and as soon as he gains control of Accolade's head he punches the horse repeatedly (at least 3 times if not 4) in the side of his nose/muzzle (soft velvety part between the nose band and the nostrils, looks like). Horrifically shocking. I hope the owner/trainer sue the pants off him even if he does get terminated. Inexcusable.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4404
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:36 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Repeatedly!?
WTF. :evil:
Yeah he actually goes out of his way as the horse shies his head to the furthest side away from the AS but obviously he's got nowhere to go in a gate.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
Post Reply