Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:08 pm

True. I'm not familiar with the two South African riders but, if they're young and hungry, the purses in Hong Kong could be a big draw. politics be darned. :P ;)
stark

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:39 pm

Jockey Manny Franco has a bruised right arm and a bruised left calf but did not suffer any fractures after being involved in a spill in Friday’s 11th and final race at Belmont Park.

It won’t be known until Saturday morning whether Franco will ride that day’s Belmont Stakes card, according to Angel Cordero, the former Hall of Fame rider who is Franco’s agent.

“I told him to wait and see how he feels tomorrow,” Cordero said.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Starine

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:50 am

I thought it was very kind and classy of Mike Smith to give well wishes to Marlon St. Julien in the Donna Brothers interview.
Treve

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:00 pm

Starine wrote:I thought it was very kind and classy of Mike Smith to give well wishes to Marlon St. Julien in the Donna Brothers interview.
Yes and to all the PDJs
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
stark

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:36 pm

Baffert's Churchill Downs barn, nothing short of amazing.....

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:57 pm

Captain, we need a bigger wall! ;)
firehorse

Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:14 pm

stark wrote:Baffert's Churchill Downs barn, nothing short of amazing.....

Looking at that makes me think maybe there's more to all the butthurt about the Belmont than the actual race ;)
Starine

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:06 pm

Report: Noseda-Trained Walk In The Sun Tested Positive For Cocaine
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... n-the-sun/
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:14 am

That explains why all the Phoenix-owned horses, not just the US-bound Gronkowski, were removed from Noseda's barn. :shock:
MySaladDays

Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:54 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:That explains why all the Phoenix-owned horses, not just the US-bound Gronkowski, were removed from Noseda's barn. :shock:
Noseda will face charges.

If it happened here he'd be given a wrist-slap, run his horses under another trainer's name during a short suspension (if any), and carry on as usual.
Starine

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:17 pm

MySaladDays wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:That explains why all the Phoenix-owned horses, not just the US-bound Gronkowski, were removed from Noseda's barn. :shock:
Noseda will face charges.

If it happened here he'd be given a wrist-slap, run his horses under another trainer's name during a short suspension (if any), and carry on as usual.
I suspect he will receive a ban like Al Zarooni.

In happier news:

Injured Rider St. Julien Continues Recovery, Walking With Assistance
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/peop ... ssistance/
Sparrow Castle

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 pm

Thanks, Starine. It's really good to hear the news about Marlon St. Julien, especially this from the linked DRF article:
...St. Julien, who had surgery the day after his accident, was able to walk with assistance to the ambulance, according to Robyn Dean, the wife of St. Julien’s agent, Bobby Dean. Robyn Dean has served as a medical liaison for St. Julien since he was first transported to the hospital.

St. Julien, 46, was slow to regain feeling in his arms, had to overcome pneumonia after his surgery, and was intubated and confined to the intensive-care unit at Mercy. But his breathing tube was removed several days ago, St. Julien is communicating comfortably, and on Tuesday, Dean said, he sat up on his own for more than 90 minutes.

“Marlon doesn’t think he’ll be permanently disabled,” Dean said.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:33 pm

Jeremy Balan Verified account@BH_JBalan
19m19 minutes ago
Trainer Peter Eurton has been fined $500 by the Santa Anita stewards for "failure to properly report the gelding" of Indian Gulch for a race May 13. Indian Gulch was scratched prior to the race.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:32 pm

I pass through Meeking's barn on the way to see our horses, and he's always up for a good laugh. Recently as we walked by we asked him who he had running that day and he replied, "Oh, I don't know but they'll tell me pretty soon" (pointing to his serious-looking stable staff). We all knew it was 11 year old Trelawny who is one of my favorite horses at the track.

Nice to see these guys honored in this way; they make me feel young, lol.

Emerald Downs Cards Race for Nonagenarian Trainers
Emerald Downs will card a unique race June 17. There will not only be age restrictions on the horses, but on the trainers, too.

Sunday's sixth race—the "Not in Any Rocking Chair Starter Allowance"—is for 3-year-olds and older who have started for a claiming price of $3,500 or less in 2017-2018 and whose trainer was born on or prior to June 6, 1928.

In other words, the race is open to horses whose trainers are at least 90 years old—and Emerald Downs has several. The horses in Sunday's race are conditioned by 94-year-old Arturo Arboleda, 91-year-old H.R. Pat Mullens, 90-year-old Ira Rhodes, and 90-year-old Bob Meeking, who celebrated his birthday June 6.

"We thought this would be a great way to honor these guys on Father's Day," said Phil Ziegler, president of Emerald Downs. "What other sport could a 90-year-old still be out knocking heads with the younger guys and gals?"
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... qus_thread
WarBiscuit

Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:I pass through Meeking's barn on the way to see our horses, and he's always up for a good laugh. Recently as we walked by we asked him who he had running that day and he replied, "Oh, I don't know but they'll tell me pretty soon" (pointing to his serious-looking stable staff). We all knew it was 11 year old Trelawny who is one of my favorite horses at the track.

Nice to see these guys honored in this way; they make me feel young, lol.

Emerald Downs Cards Race for Nonagenarian Trainers
Emerald Downs will card a unique race June 17. There will not only be age restrictions on the horses, but on the trainers, too.

Sunday's sixth race—the "Not in Any Rocking Chair Starter Allowance"—is for 3-year-olds and older who have started for a claiming price of $3,500 or less in 2017-2018 and whose trainer was born on or prior to June 6, 1928.

In other words, the race is open to horses whose trainers are at least 90 years old—and Emerald Downs has several. The horses in Sunday's race are conditioned by 94-year-old Arturo Arboleda, 91-year-old H.R. Pat Mullens, 90-year-old Ira Rhodes, and 90-year-old Bob Meeking, who celebrated his birthday June 6.

"We thought this would be a great way to honor these guys on Father's Day," said Phil Ziegler, president of Emerald Downs. "What other sport could a 90-year-old still be out knocking heads with the younger guys and gals?"
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... qus_thread
That's pretty awesome. I'll bet those guys have some stories to tell! Good for Emerald Downs - a nice way to acknowledge these gentlemen for their dedication to the sport.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
SSilence86

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:46 pm

Not a jockey or trainer... assistant starter.

I hope he is fired.

Check out @MarkBowers1’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/MarkBowers1/status/ ... 44674?s=09
Somnambulist

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:54 pm

That looks flat-out disgusting and is painful to watch. I'm curious what that meeting yields.

I sincerely hope that does not go viral. Ugh.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:07 pm

I know that it's impossible to tell anything without context but how is a meeting on Saturday? If I messed up at work in ANY capacity a meeting would be scheduled the same day.

It is tough to defend this game sometimes.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Sparrow Castle

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:14 pm

SSilence86 wrote:Not a jockey or trainer... assistant starter.

I hope he is fired.

Check out @MarkBowers1’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/MarkBowers1/status/ ... 44674?s=09
Oh poor Accolade. Looks like the assistant starter is in the wrong job if he wont control himself with a fractious baby. Yes, it should be dealt with immediately.