Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

Re: Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

Postby Somnambulist » Tue May 15, 2018 8:06 pm

I will say - as an athlete, it is brutal to be here in NY. Fans will actively rally against players over management/an organization any day but I feel like in this state it even moreso.

Hard to say who is in the wrong or right here without knowing the actual story.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby PJMIII » Wed May 16, 2018 5:26 pm

Joe Bravo to Receive 2018 Venezia Award

Award will be presented May 28 in a ceremony at Belmont Park.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ezia-award
PJMIII

Postby Diver52 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:37 pm

Has anyone seen the TV ad for the Chase payment app? It introduces Victor Espinoza and shows him riding a horse into a packed winner's circle. Then the horse starts chewing the flowers off a lady's fancy hat. Victor whips out his smartphone (doesn't it add to his riding weight?) and opens the app to pay for the ruined hat. :lol:
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby stark » Wed May 16, 2018 6:51 pm

Diver52 wrote:Has anyone seen the TV ad for the Chase payment app? It introduces Victor Espinoza and shows him riding a horse into a packed winner's circle. Then the horse starts chewing the flowers off a lady's fancy hat. Victor whips out his smartphone (doesn't it add to his riding weight?) and opens the app to pay for the ruined hat. :lol:

stark wrote:For those that haven't yet seen Victor Espinoza

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/w9rM/jpmorgan-c ... r-espinoza
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:11 pm

Yes, I've seen it. It's kind of cute, but no self-respecting horse with a sense of smell is going to eat fabric flowers off a hat. Grab it off her head and play with it? Yes. But eat it? Nope. :lol:
I know...asking for reality in ads is like asking for your horse that finished 2nd to win it in the replay. :P :lol:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Diver52 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Sorry, stark--late to the party, as usual! :oops:
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat May 19, 2018 1:42 am

The extent of her injuries are horrific but her spirit, and that of her husband, is amazing.

Column | Burned horse trainer Martine Bellocq finds love, hope among the ashes
Sitting in a bedside chair at Vibra Hospital in Hillcrest, Martine Bellocq thumbs at the tracheotomy opening in her neck with reddish-white hands as visitors in protective gowns and gloves lock eyes and listen.

The horse trainer burned over 60 percent of her body during the deadly Dec. 7 fire at San Luis Rey Downs waited almost four months to speak, isolated in a burn unit. She’s braved a port in her chest, tubes flowing from her nose, three-times-weekly dialysis, eight skin-graft surgeries and the amputation of her lower left leg.

Talking matters so much, because Bellocq has so much to say.

When her prized colt Wild Bill Hickory refused to budge as ink-black smoke filled his stall and flames licked across from the far side of the barn, Bellocq decided she had one more shot. She grabbed a hose, doused herself from head to toe, and charged inside. The fire had other ideas.

“When it got so hot, my body started to burn,” Bellocq said Wednesday. “It hurt so much. I just walked out of the barn. He’ll find me. He’ll find me.”

Parked at the edge of her hospital bed a few feet away, her husband Pierre reached out a hand and spoke in a muffled whisper.

“I found you,” he said.

True love stories rarely unfold like airport paperbacks, the hulking heroes with flowing manes cradling Southern belles in absurdly sculpted arms. Reality is an exhausted husband helping a wife of nearly 42 years in and out of her wheelchair.

Sometimes, love reveals itself through simply finding a way, day after day, for someone impossible to live without.

“He’s the best husband,” Martine said. “Every day, he came. Every day, he supports me. He’s a wonderful man.”

Martine reached for a pair of sunglasses. She’s waiting on surgeries to both lower eyelids. More will follow.

“You’re really a rock star now,” Pierre said.

They’re facing the beast — the fire then, the ashes now — together.

More: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/bryce-miller/sd-sp-miller-bellocq-burned-trainer-san-luis-rey-fire-20180520-story.html

The gofundme page:
Rally for Martine-SLR Horse Trainer
https://www.gofundme.com/rallyformartinebellocq
Sparrow Castle

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:30 pm

:(
Marlon St. Julien Undergoes Spinal Surgery After Prairie Meadows Incident
Jockey Marlon St. Julien, 46, was involved in a serious spill on Saturday at Prairie Meadows, reports drf.com. In the ninth race, his mount Carbaugh was interfered with at the start and St. Julien went down hard.
“He went headfirst into the ground,” said his agent, Bobby Dean.
On Sunday, St. Julien underwent spinal surgery to fuse the C5 and C7 vertebrae, in an attempt to keep the pressure of his discs off his spinal cord. The rider was on a ventilator on Sunday, and his range of motion is under evaluation.
The rider of 2,468 winners with earnings just shy of $47 million, St. Julien has won multiple graded stakes races over the course of his career.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/peop ... -incident/
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Starine » Mon May 21, 2018 8:34 pm

I saw that. Best wishes for Marlon.
Starine

Postby PJMIII » Tue May 22, 2018 7:28 am

New York Revokes Charlerie's License Three Years

Thoroughbred trainer Brandon Charlerie had his license to own and train Thoroughbreds revoked for at least three years and was fined $3,000 after what regulators say was his role in claiming a horse in 2016 at Belmont Park on behalf of two individuals who weren't licensed as owners.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... hree-years
PJMIII

PreviousNext

Return to Racing