Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

Re: Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

Postby Somnambulist » Sat May 12, 2018 6:38 pm

That was maybe one of the strangest thing I have ever seen in racing.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:09 pm

After reading this correspondence from the Jockeys' Guild, I would not be surprised to see more disruptions in the future. :shock:

Jockeys’ Guild Resigns From Position, Any Affiliation With NTRA Safety And Integrity Alliance
Jockeys' Guild national manager Terry Meyocks sent the following correspondence to Alex Waldrop, president and CEO of the National Thoroughbred Racing Association:

On behalf of the Jockeys' Guild and our members, the Guild is resigning from its position and any affiliation with the NTRA Safety and Integrity Alliance, including participation on the medical recommendations committee. This is not a step we take lightly. However, based on the responses we have received from the NTRA over the last several months and its continued failure to enforce the requirements pertaining to the human athletes, it is apparent the safety and well-being of the jockeys and human athletes in our sport as referenced in the preamble, as well as the NTRA Safety and Integrity Alliance Code of Standards, is being ignored.
Read more: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/peop ... -alliance/

I know that American racing is a haphazard mess of conflicting rules and regs, but what is laid out in that letter is upsetting...and pretty damning of the NTRA. :(
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Catalina » Mon May 14, 2018 9:46 pm

The problem is that other than getting them - finally - some attention, I don't see where pulling out of NTRA and severing ties is going to do the jockeys much good.
Catalina

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:40 pm

Sometimes, shining a bright light on a problem can help create a push toward finding solutions. Let's hope that proves true here.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Della » Tue May 15, 2018 7:28 am

Edgar Prado, the classiest jockey in racing, reached win #6,999 yesterday. He has three rides today at Parx, and can reach that incredible pinnacle of 7,000 wins.

He's the winningest active jockey.Behind him are Perry Wayne Ouzts with 6,913, Mario Pino with 6,859, Kent Desormeaux 5,958, and John Velasquez with 5,910

I winder if he'll start chasing Angel Cordero's 7,057!

Go, Edgar, go :)
Della

Postby stark » Tue May 15, 2018 11:16 am

How many 2YOs does Chad Brown have?

It's being reported on another forum that it's 150!

Find that hard to believe, no?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue May 15, 2018 3:19 pm

I just watched Edgar Prado win his 7,000th race in the 6th at Parx.
Congratulations to Edgar, one of the classiest HOFamers out there. :D
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Catalina » Tue May 15, 2018 4:33 pm

Congratulations, Edgar!
Catalina

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue May 15, 2018 6:38 pm

Dutrow To Racing Community: If Given A Second Chance, I Won’t Let You Down
Kentucky Derby and Preakness-winning trainer Rick Dutrow has written an open letter to members of the Thoroughbred community, communicating his hope that the New York State Gaming Commission will reconsider the 10-year suspension he received in 2011 for an accumulation of rules violations from the regulatory board's predecessor, the New York State Racing and Wagering Board. Dutrow appealed the suspension and $50,000 fine but ran out of legal options in January 2013. He has served nearly 5 1/2 years of the original suspension.

Dutrow, 58, trained Big Brown to victories in the 2008 Kentucky Derby and Preakness and also was the conditioner of 2005 Breeders' Cup Classic winner and Horse of the Year Saint Liam.

The following letter from Dutrow to the Thoroughbred racing community was forwarded to the Paulick Report:

“Training race horses is my life. I have no other life. I have made mistakes and I am very sorry. I have said things which I shouldn't have said. Over the past five years, I have thought long and hard about how to be a better member of my racing community, if given a second chance.

“My hope for that second chance grew with the support of over 2,100 people who signed the Petition that my fellow horsemen, trainer Dale Romans, started in late March to get me back to work.

“I miss all of you but most of all I miss my horses. Nothing on earth means more to me. I am asking the Gaming Commission to give me my life back fully understanding all the responsibilities and obligations that come with that life. I will not let the racing community nor the Commission down.” – Rick Dutrow

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/dutrow-to-racing-community-if-given-a-second-chance-i-wont-let-you-down/
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue May 15, 2018 6:54 pm

NYRA Responds to Jockeys’ Guild Grievances
The New York Racing Association (NYRA) released the following statement Tuesday in response to a statement published by the Jockeys’ Guild Monday which outlined a number of concerns and grievances related to the NYRA jockey colony:

In late December, NYRA and the Jockeys’ Guild negotiated and subsequently announced an agreement in principal on a new contract. Following that announcement, the Guild backed away from the agreed upon terms sending both sides back to the negotiating table. Since that time, NYRA has been working with the Guild and their attorney in good faith toward a resolution. NYRA has continued to make payments at the same level as was required in the contract without any obligation to do so–a clear demonstration of our commitment to the jockeys and their safety.

NYRA has consistently demonstrated its commitment to act in the best interests of the sport and of the jockeys. NYRA has spent considerable sums to make our racetracks and training facilities safer, and we have new protocols in place for safer training. We will continue to act in a professional manner with all stakeholders, including owners, trainers, horseplayers, fans, jockeys, exercise riders, hot walkers and grooms. NYRA will continue to negotiate in good faith with the Guild in a responsible way that does not negatively affect fans, horsemen and owners.

However, this past Saturday, the jockeys raised issues that had not been under discussion during the negotiations. To raise these issues outside the agreed upon terms of negotiation, with no notice provided and mere minutes before the start of a Saturday race card, was unreasonable and caused a lengthy delay leading to confusion among fans, horseplayers, trainers and owners.

More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/nyra-responds-to-jockeys-guild-grievances/
Sparrow Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Racing