Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

Re: Jockey/Trainer News - 2018

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue May 08, 2018 10:42 pm

Starine wrote:Lost And Found Presented By Horseware: Thirty-Five Years After Sunny’s Halo, Cross Is Back To The Beginning Again
https://www.paulickreport.com/features/ ... ing-again/

Kind of a sad story, really.

Ugh, sure is a sad story.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue May 08, 2018 10:44 pm

Christina Blacker Retweeted
Angie A. Stevens @angieastevens1
2h2 hours ago
Gary Stevens is moving his tack back to California and Tony Matos will have his book. He will be In California on Sunday.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed May 09, 2018 7:41 pm

I can't help but be so envious sometimes when I see what's accomplished in areas with a centralized racing authority. I really don't like night racing followed next day with an early card here, and I'm not even doing the hard work each race day.

New breaks and earlier evenings for racing staff and jockeys amid burnout fears
The Professional Jockeys Association hopes the introduction of two breaks into the 2019 Flat racing schedule and earlier finishes to floodlit meetings will help prevent riders suffering burnout in the face of an increase in fixtures and longer working hours.

Jockeys reluctant to take a break for fear of missing rides will get guaranteed time off as a result of a move – agreed by all racing's stakeholders – which will mean a six-day break in November at the end of the turf season and another lasting five days in March, near the conclusion of the winter all-weather programme.

In addition, all floodlit fixtures, which run from January to mid-April and September to December, will finish earlier, with the final race starting no later than 8.30pm under policies the BHA said prioritise support for the sport's workforce.

With jump jockeys benefiting from an eight-day summer break and five-day spell at the end of the season, the PJA pressed for a similar rest period on the Flat because of the expansion of the fixture list.

More: https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/breakthrough-racing-staff-to-benefit-from-new-rest-periods-and-earlier-evenings/330742
Sparrow Castle

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Wed May 09, 2018 9:24 pm

Very few of the UK's racecourses run both day and evening cards. Most are one or the other. The difficulty for the jockeys comes in chasing mounts all over the map, so the jockey who's riding at Newcastle one night might have to show up at Newbury the next afternoon, Wolverhampton the following night, Haydock the afternoon after that. If UK race meets were like ours -- months of 4- or 5-day racing weeks at the same location -- the jocks could at least spend their scarce down time in one place.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed May 09, 2018 9:56 pm

WaquoitNBroadBrush wrote:Very few of the UK's racecourses run both day and evening cards. Most are one or the other. The difficulty for the jockeys comes in chasing mounts all over the map, so the jockey who's riding at Newcastle one night might have to show up at Newbury the next afternoon, Wolverhampton the following night, Haydock the afternoon after that. If UK race meets were like ours -- months of 4- or 5-day racing weeks at the same location -- the jocks could at least spend their scarce down time in one place.

Oh I know it's more needed in the UK. It's not just the jockeys who benefit. Without stabling at the tracks, a lot of those trainers and staff have to van the horses home after evening races, sometimes hours away, only to turn around and do it all again in the morning with other horses to other tracks. Can't even imagine how wearing that would be, yeah burnout. Just jealous that the BHA actually acts on identified needs like this and tracks have to adjust. In the meantime, we can't even get tracks to adjust to staggered post times for betting purposes. I hope the trial is successful.
Sparrow Castle

Postby stark » Thu May 10, 2018 4:37 pm

Jockey Mike Smith has been suspended four days - from May 17-20 - for careless riding in the eighth race last Sunday, but the sanction is not expected to interfere with his ability to ride Justify in the Preakness Stakes at Pimlico on May 19.

Smith has the option to approach the California Horse Racing Board and request a stay that would allow him to ride until he can appeal the penalty.

Secondly, Smith can ride the Preakness Stakes under California's designated race rule, which allows jockeys to ride graded stakes, such as the Preakness Stakes, while under suspension for penalties of 10 days or less.

When California-based jockeys ride more than one designated race, or ride a designated race out of state, they must serve an additional day of suspension.

Smith was cited for his ride on race winner Achira, who drifted out in the stretch of a one-mile turf race causing runner-up Helen Hillary to be carried toward the middle of the track. The stewards spent several minutes reviewing the race, but did not change the order of finish.

This is the second time in the last 60 days Smith has been suspended for careless riding. He was cited for his ride on McKinzie in the Grade 2 San Felipe Stakes when his mount was disqualified from first to second for causing interference near the finish of the Triple Crown prep. Smith received a three-day suspension for that infraction.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Northport » Fri May 11, 2018 6:15 pm

In case you missed Saeed Bin Suroor, the main trainer for the largest and biggest spending stable in the world, complaining about his low quality two year olds last year, here is a new article with him complaining that said crop is still lousy:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/ ... lds/331088

I... just... don't... understand how his public complaining keeps getting published? I get that last year's comments were part of a larger interview, but does he just call RacingPost to let them know that he is still not happy?

In RacingPost's first article on the subject, from last June, Bin Suroor said he missed the "good old days" when Godolphin would buy the best horses in training and immediately move them to Bin Suroor, instead of keeping them with the trainers that made them stars in the first place. Now, Sheikh Mohammed keeps his horses-in-training purchases with their existing trainers, and I feel like that is what is actually stalling Bin Suroor's career, not the now-resigned John Ferguson and whoever else allocates two year olds each year.

I just can't really imagine any other well known, private, trainer, venting like this.
weeeeeeeee
Northport

Postby Starine » Fri May 11, 2018 9:05 pm

Wow. Tell us how you really feel about them, Saeed. :?
Starine

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat May 12, 2018 1:39 am

‘The horses keep me young, man.’ Emerald Downs trainers still winning in their 90s
For Arturo Arboleda, 94, and H.R. “Pat” Mullens, 91, it’s the horses that give them purpose. The trainers are at Emerald Downs every morning and stay for hours, devising workout plans and keeping close eyes on their horses. It’s their passion and both are still successful.

Arturo Arboleda is really getting the hang of this training gig, after having by far the best season of his career last year at Emerald Downs, and is looking forward to the next few seasons.

And by the way, Arboleda is 94.

Retirement? Not with nine horses to tend to, and not with the thrill of victory just as great as it has ever been.

Arboleda has had horses run in six races this season and has had two second-place finishes, two thirds and a fourth after winning 10 races last season, double his previous career high.

His younger buddy, 91-year-old H.R. “Pat” Mullens, has seven horses this season and has bragging rights over his friend, with one win from three starters.

More: https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/other-sports/the-horses-keep-me-young-man-emerald-downs-trainers-still-winning-in-their-90s/
Sparrow Castle

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat May 12, 2018 2:11 pm

The first race at Belmont was delayed for over a half an hour, due to a meeting regarding jockey weights according to David Grening. A few of his Tweets:
* Start of today’s Belmont card will be delayed. Trying to find out what’s going on.
* Management and the jockeys are meeting over some issue.
* The jockeys still meeting to decide whether they will ride today or not. Believe this has to do with contractual issues, not track conditons
* Jockeys have been trying to get scale of weights changed. This apparently is their way of making a statement toward that end.
* We are scheduled to run
* Jockeys are weighing in as we speak

David Grening
‏ @DRFGrening

Also, Jose Lezcano is off his mounts today and probably tomorrow after suffering a concussion due to a fall from Coffee Crush during morning training.
More info at http://live.drf.com/
BaroqueAgain1

PreviousNext

Return to Racing