Fillies and Mares - 2018

Sparrow Castle

Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:02 pm

Unbeaten Dream Tree to Sell at KEENOV
Undefeated recent GI Test S. winner Dream Tree (Uncle Mo–Afleet Maggi, by Afleet Alex) will be offered as a racing or broodmare prospect in the Taylor Made consignment at the upcoming Keeneland November Sale.

“We are really excited about running Dream Tree in the Breeders’ Cup,” said Tom Ludt, head of U.S. operations for owner Phoenix Thoroughbreds. “She showed her class last month at Saratoga [with her win in the GII Prioress S.], coming off a layoff and just accelerating down the lane like she did.”

He continued, “It is with mixed emotions that we are selling her, but Phoenix has to maintain a focused vision for the fund. We see her as an exceptional filly worth a lot to a long-term breeder, and we have to consider managing the fund, so we thought it was best to sell her this year.”
More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/un ... at-keenov/
Sparrow Castle

Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:31 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:15 pm
Her first entry since the fire...I'll be rooting for this one. (I know my notes are inelegant...such a cool story.)

Lovely Finish is entered to run on September 20, 2018, at LOS ALAMITOS RACE COURSE.
Your comments for this horse were: 2015 F Marino Marini - Corazon de Leo, by Flame Thrower; Joe Herrick; suffered burns at SLR; brought to DelMar by an old guy

Full Entries for Race Overnight
Race: 7 - 4:58 PM $1 Exacta / $1 Trifecta / $1 Superfecta (.10 Min.) / $2 Double

MAIDEN SPECIAL WEIGHT
Purse: $ 40,000. For California Bred Or California Sired Maidens, Fillies And Mares Three Years Old And Upward. Three Year Olds, 120 Lbs.; Older, 124 Lbs. Five And One Half Furlongs.
PP Horse A/S Med Jockey Wgt Trainer
2 Lovely Finish 3/F L Stewart Elliott 120 Joe Herrick
She closed well to get up for 3rd...nice race after her long recovery.

Lovely Finish finished 3rd beaten by 3 3/4 lengths, on September 20, 2018, at LOS ALAMITOS RACE COURSE in Race 7.
Off odds: 7.00
http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 18USA7.pdf
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:48 pm

While not about a particular filly or mare, this news could affect a lot of them.

British Trainers Ordered To Halt Use of Regumate After Tests Reveal Trace Amounts Of Anabolic Steroid Trendione
The British Horseracing Authority has ordered trainers there to stop using altrenogest (commonly known by its brand name of Regumate) and remove it from their yards after testing uncovered trace amounts of an anabolic steroid.
Also from the article:
Regumate is an oral medication used to control hormonal cycles in fillies and mares, particularly for those exhibiting dangerous or difficult behavior during certain parts of their cycle.
Read more: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... trendione/
Read more at Racing Post

Controlling the estrus cycle is pretty important in a racehorse. A female in heat can be disruptive at a track, both for the fillies themselves and for the intact males around them.
I wonder what British trainers are going to do about this? Is there a substitute that works as well? Or is the BRA expecting owners and trainers to stop running many of their fillies or mares? :shock:
Mylute

Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:30 pm

I guess that the fillies and mares that are particularly nasty during their "special time" will just not get to race, or trainers will now have to plan racing schedules around said special times.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:18 pm

From what I've observed, it's not just 'nasty' filly behavior that would be a problem. A mare in heat in the walking ring, post parade or starting gate is going to be a distraction...to say the least...to any intact male in smelling distance.
IIRC, Animal Kingdom ran poorly in a race at Ascot because there was an in-season filly around...and he was so "in love" (or in lust?) that he kind of left his race in the paddock. :oops:
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:31 pm

There are alternatives for Regumate including other brand names that contain the same (or similar?) synthetic progesterone. In the old days folks used all sorts of things - from inserting a marble, to certain herbs and oils, and even other drugs that I think have been banned because of potential for misuse. My trainers use Regumate so I haven't thought about the alternatives for a long time. I'll have to ask Sunday if they've heard anything. It might be an isolated problem.
RugbyGirl

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:38 pm

Interesting that the BHA have gone this route as it has become a big issue in Australia in the past few weeks after the discovery of some positive samples and Winx is a regular user of Regumate though she has never tested positive to any illegal substance.

http://www.skyracing.com.au/index.php?c ... &rid=57870
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
Sparrow Castle

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:41 pm

I love that the San Diego Union-Tribune is still producing updates about the aftereffects of the San Luis Rey fire.

Burned trainer Herrick, Lovely Finish make emotional return to racing
Forty-eight hours before an impossibly meaningful moment, horse-racing trainer Joe Herrick fought through unexpected pain — first physically, then emotionally.

The man who was burned over 23 percent of his body during the Dec. 7 fire that swept over San Luis Rey Downs — the starting point of a 10-month odyssey for he and Lovely Finish, the filly he saved from the flames — decided to ride a jet ski on Mission Bay near Fiesta Island.

Before the fire that forever altered his life, Herrick estimated he rode the water toy 30 or 40 times the previous year. Since the blaze that claimed six of his horses, he’s revved it to life just once.

Herrick flew backwards Tuesday, while going 55 to 60 mph.

“I ate it so bad, my neck is killing me,” he said.

Later that day, Herrick returned to rebuilt San Luis Rey Downs to check on Lovely Finish as she prepared for Thursday’s seventh race at Los Alamitos — the first time out of the gate since the fire.

“When I went to check on her, there was a loose horse … running around screaming, running through the shed rows,” Herrick said. “It brings back bad, bad memories.”

That’s why the result of the race, when Lovely Finish fought to a photo-finish third, felt like victory. The man and horse with an unequal bond found a way to rise from the pain, to shake the doubt, to dive back into the fray. The pair, both still showing patches of raw, pink skin as lifelong reminders of their shared mortality and motivation, climbed all the way back.

A piece of paper says they finished third.

Trying tell Herrick that.

“It’s a victory in itself, just getting back to a race,” he said.

Earlier in the day, Herrick milled around the stall holding Lovely Finish and reflected on what all of it meant.
More: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spo ... story.html
Mylute

Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:59 pm

Calvin Borel Guides Divine Queen to 51-1 Upset in Dogwood Stakes

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... od-stakes/
RugbyGirl

Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:22 am

New Zealand Racing have today announced their position on Regumate. In summary according to their information the banned steroids have only been detected in Altrenogest when it has been injected into the mares bloodstream therefore they have banned mares from being injected.
Regumate can still be used orally as it has been for decades in NZ without any irregularities detected. The injections in New Zealand have been in use for less than a year.

The full release can be downloaded here https://loveracing.nz/RaceInfo/25734/Me ... ticle.aspx
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
Mylute

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:46 pm

Vasilika Travels to the Top in Rodeo Drive

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... odeo-drive
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:48 pm

What just happened!?!?
Abel Tasman was balky loading for the G1 Zenyatta, got off slow and trailed the field like Zen, tried to pick off horses, but then just flattened out in the stretch. Mike didn't even touch her with the whip, just let her cross the wire at a gallop in 5th.
I hope she's OK.
Horsebagger

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:57 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
What just happened!?!?
Abel Tasman was balky loading for the G1 Zenyatta, got off slow and trailed the field like Zen, tried to pick off horses, but then just flattened out in the stretch. Mike didn't even touch her with the whip, just let her cross the wire at a gallop in 5th.
I hope she's OK.
The Personal Ensign battle has multiple 'casualties' I would suggest. They arent machines.
luvsgeldings

Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:37 pm

no, they are not machines - really makes you appreciate how great Zenyatta was.... even as a 6 year old, and including her 20th race in a row, she never had a bad day. she always ran her race. same with Beholder.

I am really happy for Joe Talamo today. he was the original rider on Abel. always felt bad that he lost the mount when CHC bought in and moved the filly to baff. hope Abel is ok. I understand she is a very sweet filly. but I could not help but feel really good for Joe winning the Zenyatta today.
Diver52

Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:52 pm

I see Simon Callaghan is still upset about losing Abel Tasman, saying pointedly that Bellafina is the best filly he's ever had. (At least that was the Los Angeles Times' take on his comment.) So, Simon, why was it outrageous that CHC took Abel Tasman from you and sent her to Baffert, but just dandy that Kaleem Shah (Bellafina's owner) took his horses from Baffert and gave them to you? Grow up a bit. (I know CHC's stated reason for the move was ridiculous, but you just suck it up.)

Of course Joe Talamo won on the "other Baffert." Life is sometimes weird. You can't make this stuff up.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Horsebagger

Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:59 pm

I'd say better than even chance they've pulled her blood and it's announced tomorrow that she's sick and likely out of the Distaff. Hasn't BB said recently he's had something running through his barn?
Old Bones

Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:02 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
What just happened!?!?
I hope she's OK.
There is a virus going around. Baffert had to scratch his 2yo filly, Mother Mother, yesterday because of it. To be seen is if something similar develops with Abel Tasman.
Starine

Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:52 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if the bloodwork comes back and Abel Tasman is sick. It's true they aren't machines but you'd have thought she'd at least hit the board even if she was just having an off day.

Nice to see Vale Dori bounce back; I was beginning to think her best days were behind her.
Mylute

Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:30 pm

I Still Miss You (Majestic Warrior x Lion's Terms) won the Arctic Queen Stakes at Finger Lakes in what is now a 3 race win streak!
Northport

Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:40 pm

That is a great name
weeeeeeeee