Older Horses - 2018

katmandu

Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:51 pm

Treve wrote:
Catalina wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I wonder if a recovery pool could have prevented that fracture? I know that not many vet hospitals have those pools but, when I read of an incident like this, I wish more did. :(
As do I. But it's my understanding that the recovery pool isn't used that often even for surgeries at e.g. New Bolton. Too much of an additional expense maybe?
I don't think a recovery pool would've prevented it in this case, it sounds like he was just trying to get up - the recovery pool mostly just prevents the horse from thrashing and hurting themselves if they panic. Result probably would've been the same once he got out of the pool and tried getting up, if he were to take a bad step.

Very sad though, RIP Takaful :(
At New Bolton, at least, horses taken out of the recovery pool are transferred via sling to a recovery stall where they are maintained in a sling "on their feet". The sling is removed as the horse displays the ability to stand on his own. They may be sedated at this stage, but it is "standing sedation".

https://www.vet.upenn.edu/about/press-r ... very-story
Treve

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:49 pm

You can sling them regardless of pool recovery though.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
katmandu

Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:40 pm

Treve wrote:I don't think a recovery pool would've prevented it in this case, it sounds like he was just trying to get up - the recovery pool mostly just prevents the horse from thrashing and hurting themselves if they panic. Result probably would've been the same once he got out of the pool and tried getting up, if he were to take a bad step.

It might have been a standing operation and he fell and subsequently injured himself as he came out of sedation. He didn't seem like a particularly docile horse. . . .

Yes, RIP, Takaful. You were brilliant.
Treve

Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:30 pm

katmandu wrote:
Treve wrote:I don't think a recovery pool would've prevented it in this case, it sounds like he was just trying to get up - the recovery pool mostly just prevents the horse from thrashing and hurting themselves if they panic. Result probably would've been the same once he got out of the pool and tried getting up, if he were to take a bad step.

It might have been a standing operation and he fell and subsequently injured himself as he came out of sedation. He didn't seem like a particularly docile horse. . . .

Yes, RIP, Takaful. You were brilliant.
Definitely. I was mostly responding to the wording here from the article:
[...]And when he tried to get up in recovery, he took a bad step and suffered a fracture that proved fatal.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Starine

Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:04 pm

Accelerate Could Run in Whitney or Pacific Classic Next
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... assic-next
stark

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:27 pm

Accelerate works 5f, still on target for Pacific Classic, Catalina Cruiser likely for Awesome Again, all per Sadler

Accelerate will be the likely representative from the John Sadler barn in the Pacific Classic, the trainer said Sunday morning, a bit after Accelerate worked five furlongs in 59.60 seconds and the morning after stablemate Catalina Cruiser romped in the San Diego.

Sadler said that having pondered the situation overnight, he thought running Catalina Cruiser 1 1/4 miles in the Pacific Classic in his fourth start might be a bit much, so he was inclined to wait with him for something later this summer or fall -- perhaps the 1 1/8-mile Awesome Again at Santa Anita -- and keep Accelerate on target for the Pacific Classic, rather than send him to Saratoga for the Whitney.

Sadler said his long-term goals for the two are to get Accelerate to the Breeders' Cup Classic and look at the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile for Catalina Cruiser.

Accelerate, 5, is expected to be retired at year's end, while Catalina Cruiser, 4, is expected to race next year at age 5.

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/43874-accel ... per-sadler
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:34 pm

Army Mule, the lightly-raced Friesian Fire ridgling who won the G1 Carter back in April, is finally back in Pletcher's barn. He won the Carter by 6 1/2 lengths, earning a 114 Beyer, and seemed headed for the Met Mile. Then he was sent off for a 'freshening' vacation.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bree ... n-horizon/

It will be interesting to see if he ends up as a miler or adds to our Classic division, which could use some new bodies.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:46 pm

I was surprised and not happy to read that Masochistic is back in light training. The eight-year-old was retired last March, and I figured the gelding would be enjoying a well-earned retirement.
Then I read the article...it turns out Masochistic had a different opinion about that whole 'retirement' thing. :o

Grade 1 winner Masochistic, the gelding who was at the center of multiple controversies during his five seasons of racing and was retired in March, has returned to light training at Del Mar for a simple reason.
He can't stand being turned out and, when they tried to make him a trail horse—look out.
"He's gained a ton of weight. He's like a pony right now," said new trainer Kristin Mulhall, who has cared for Masochistic since his retirement. "When you get on his back, it's a different story. He does not enjoy just being turned out. He does not enjoy being a pet. He did not enjoy not doing anything, basically. He's not going to be a trail horse unless you plan on match racing."
So with limited options for his post-racing career because of his attitude, owner Will Shamlian and Mulhall sent Masochistic back to the racetrack. First they attempted to make him a stable pony, but he wasn't having that, either.
"He just wants to go," Mulhall said. "And I've worked with a lot of off-track Thoroughbreds, and I've never experienced one quite like him."

Read more: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... t-training

So....What do you do with a sound horse who is too competitive to be a trail horse or stable pony? And who gets really unhappy standing out in a field and is too cranky to be a pet? :(
Would he be a candidate for turn-out with a batch of weanlings or yearlings? Racing around with a bunch of fast, energetic youngsters might drain that run-fast energy a bit. ;)
Dusty

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:26 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:46 pm
I was surprised and not happy to read that Masochistic is back in light training. The eight-year-old was retired last March, and I figured the gelding would be enjoying a well-earned retirement.
Then I read the article...it turns out Masochistic had a different opinion about that whole 'retirement' thing. :o

Grade 1 winner Masochistic, the gelding who was at the center of multiple controversies during his five seasons of racing and was retired in March, has returned to light training at Del Mar for a simple reason.
He can't stand being turned out and, when they tried to make him a trail horse—look out.
"He's gained a ton of weight. He's like a pony right now," said new trainer Kristin Mulhall, who has cared for Masochistic since his retirement. "When you get on his back, it's a different story. He does not enjoy just being turned out. He does not enjoy being a pet. He did not enjoy not doing anything, basically. He's not going to be a trail horse unless you plan on match racing."
So with limited options for his post-racing career because of his attitude, owner Will Shamlian and Mulhall sent Masochistic back to the racetrack. First they attempted to make him a stable pony, but he wasn't having that, either.
"He just wants to go," Mulhall said. "And I've worked with a lot of off-track Thoroughbreds, and I've never experienced one quite like him."

Read more: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... t-training

So....What do you do with a sound horse who is too competitive to be a trail horse or stable pony? And who gets really unhappy standing out in a field and is too cranky to be a pet? :(
Would he be a candidate for turn-out with a batch of weanlings or yearlings? Racing around with a bunch of fast, energetic youngsters might drain that run-fast energy a bit. ;)
At first I was shocked - but speaking to the folks who are with him - I understand - Kristin is wonderful in caring for horses - I believe she has his best intersts at heart - that said I hope he is kept OUT ot competition
May they run with the WIND
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:56 pm

Doug O'Neil's favorite stable pony (and favorite retired G1 racehorse), Lava Man, is recovering well from his colic and surgery for a twisted intestine. :D
“He's going after his feed real well, the clinic is very happy with him, and so if they're happy, we're happy,” O'Neill said. “He looks shiny and healthy. A lot of times, even in these short periods of time, they'll drop off, but he does look like he's kept his muscle. Seventeen years old and he's (still) a warrior.”
Read more: https://www.paulickreport.com/horse-car ... sing-well/
honneerider

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Nice to see Gunnevera return a winner today...on to the Woodward
Curtis

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:09 pm

Dusty wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:26 pm

At first I was shocked - but speaking to the folks who are with him - I understand - Kristin is wonderful in caring for horses - I believe she has his best intersts at heart - that said I hope he is kept OUT ot competition
If you saw his last two races you might say he's keeping himself out of competition.
Starine

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:21 pm

So Masochistic is competitive and doesn't want to be a trail horse. Couldn't he just be retrained for a second challenging career like an eventer? I think there are a lot of other options besides pony and trail horse.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:58 pm

Eventing entails dressage, cross-country and show jumping. From what I've read about Masochistic's temperament, I get the feeling that keeping him at an easy, steady gallop for the length of the cross-country portion might be a problem. And being controlled and collected for dressage? Uh.... :?
Staying at a canter so jumps are approached with the right number of strides for the show jumping might also be an interesting challenge. :lol:
Izvestia

Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:41 pm

Masochistic has proven to be a physically-ailed horse pretty much his whole career. They retired him because he wasn’t competitive... suddenly he will be again?
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:39 pm

I got the impression from the article that he wasn't brought back to the track because his connections think he's suddenly going to be competitive at the graded stakes level again. He was brought back because he was miserable doing anything else.
They're going to need to find a retirement solution that works for his mindset eventually, but the track apparently feels like home to him. For now, he's training to do what he loves...even if he may not run in a race.
This is a 'work in progress,' I think. :P :lol:
Treve

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:40 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:58 pm
Eventing entails dressage, cross-country and show jumping. From what I've read about Masochistic's temperament, I get the feeling that keeping him at an easy, steady gallop for the length of the cross-country portion might be a problem. And being controlled and collected for dressage? Uh.... :?
Staying at a canter so jumps are approached with the right number of strides for the show jumping might also be an interesting challenge. :lol:
As all racehorses steady galloping is part of his track training. Might require a rider with a strong hand, but you work your way up anyway, the lower levels wouldn't be too challenging as he builds his cardio back up. They're not as long either when they're just starting out. Collection comes first and foremost from impulsion, which he has plenty of LOL, it would take time and a patient hand to get him correctly working his topline but not impossible... as for jumping there are so many different 'styles' you see in the jumper ring.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

BaroqueAgain1

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:47 pm

Treve, it would be wonderful if Masochistic could find success in a 2nd career. Maybe Philip Dutton would be interested in 'taming' the Masochistic Beast. :P ;)
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katmandu

Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:54 pm

He's going to have 3 correct gaits for dressage, that is the most basic requirement. Impulsion/forward has to come over the back to the bit, it's not quite exactly the same as "GO-GO-GO" - a very misunderstood concept. The German word is schwung and much more accurately relays the concept. He also has to work evenly on all 4 legs (straightness). It's not entirely clear to me that Masochistic has a sound back (legs/hindquarters?). He's definitely not a horse I would gravitate to for dressage.

Collection comes first and foremost from rhythm/relaxation = the training scale.

rhythm/relaxation/connection/impulsion/straightness/collection
Last edited by katmandu on Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Treve

Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:03 pm

katmandu wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:54 pm
He's going to have 3 correct gaits for dressage, that is the most basic requirement. Impulsion/forward has to come over the back to the bit, it's not quite exactly the same as "GO-GO-GO" - a very misunderstood concept. The German word is schwung and much more accurately relays the concept. He also has to work evenly on all 4 legs (straightness). It's not entirely clear to me that Masochistic has a sound back (legs/hindquarters?). He's definitely not a horse I would gravitate to for dressage.

Collection comes first and foremost from rhythm/relaxation = the training scale.

rhythm/relaxation/connection/impulsion/straightness/collection
We call it the training pyramid in French :p and that's what I was referring to, I am well aware that it is not simply a matter of go-go-go, otherwise your horse will run from both leg and hand actions as well as fall on the forehand and lose rhythm. Still you are going to have a much harder time getting correct impulsion with a horse who is not active or energetic to begin with, correct 'upwards' movement and elevation builds over time. It's much easier to harness a horse's natural energy in my experience than to force it out of a horse who has no go at all because you end up with a horse who will not only struggle forward but upwards as well.

But any horse can and should do dressage, as a matter of training and conditioning as well as strength building, I didn't mean competitive Grand Prix dressage which is already a different beast from Eventing dressage (another topic for a different day). I train in a 2 weeks jumping, 1 week dressage format and though few of these horses would go very far at the competitive level in a dressage ring, it is amply sufficient for eventing, and for those who don't event it really helps their way of going over fences regardless, their general suppleness etc.
A 2nd career doesn't need to be a 2nd career at the CCI**** level.

Masochistic obviously needs to be physically and mentally stimulated and challenged. Hopefully keeping him in training will satisfy that need until they can try a viable alternative.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...