3yos of 2018

BaroqueAgain1

Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:35 pm

Flameaway, the winner of the Sam Davis, wasn't nominated to the Triple Crown races. No surprise, that's going to change. :P ;)
In order for the 10 points he earned with the Davis victory to officially be assigned to him, Flameaway's owner John Oxley will have to pay a $6,000 late nomination fee by March 19.
“We'll definitely do that,” said trainer Mark Casse. “It was an oversight. The colt came out of it in great shape. We'll keep our options open.”

Read more: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/trip ... id-effort/
Ridan_Remembered

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Risen Star: Pletcher Trainee Noble Indy Shows ‘A Tremendous Amount Of Talent’
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/trip ... nt-talent/

This is a colt by Take Charge Indy, currently the #1 second crop sire. I wonder if there's a return clause in that sale to Korean interests.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:15 pm

A Take Charge Indy filly also won a stakes race this past weekend. (Just can't remember where...Oaklawn?) :oops:
I've seen remarks that his offspring weren't impressing buyers, but IMHO his former owners gave up on him WAY too soon. :(
Northport

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:15 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote:Risen Star: Pletcher Trainee Noble Indy Shows ‘A Tremendous Amount Of Talent’
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/trip ... nt-talent/

This is a colt by Take Charge Indy, currently the #1 second crop sire. I wonder if there's a return clause in that sale to Korean interests.
There isn't a 'return clause' per se, KRA won't give him back if Winstar wants him. However, there is an, "option for WinStar to buy him back in the future".

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... outh-korea

Walden described the sale amount as 'too good to turn down', and if he is a hit, they'd have to offer the KRA more than that. Not sure why the KRA would want to sell him back, either way. I kind of hope that they don't want to sell him back, because I agree that WinStar gave up on him too soon, and there's a chance that the KRA could have a top stallion on their hands.
weeeeeeeee
Treve

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:42 pm

If his offspring are this good in the US, he could very well turn out to be the KRA's Northern Taste.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:06 pm

On another note going back and reading the comment section on this article is hilarious, given the present-day situation.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Northport

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:32 pm

Treve wrote:If his offspring are this good in the US, he could very well turn out to be the KRA's Northern Taste.
Exactly. And don't get me started on comments (any comments, Bloodhorse, Facebook, etc.) when a horse is exported anywhere that isn't Narnia.
weeeeeeeee
Starine

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:36 pm

Lukas Commits ‘Competitive’ Grade 1-Placed Bravazo To Saturday’s Risen Star
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/trip ... isen-star/
Treve

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:06 am

Will's Pioneer (3-Year-Old Colt) (Pioneerof the Nile x Holy Bubbette (full to Cairo Prince))

Date: February 13, 2018
Track: SAM HOUSTON RACE PARK
Distance: Four Furlongs
Time: 49:60 Breezing
Track Condition: Fast
Surface: Dirt

Funfact, he was foaled Feb 14th :D
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

PJMIII

Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:34 am

Faversham Tries Stakes Company in California Cup Derby

Maiden full sibling to California Chrome had an encouraging debut Jan. 15.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -cup-derby
Starine

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:17 pm

Mendelssohn Possible for European Kentucky Derby Trail
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... erby-trail
Point Given

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:35 pm

Solomini (3-Year-Old Colt)
Date: February 17, 2018
Track: SANTA ANITA PARK
Distance: Five Furlongs
Time: 59:40 Handily

McKinzie (3-Year-Old Colt)
Date: February 17, 2018
Track: SANTA ANITA PARK
Distance: Six Furlongs
Time: 1.12:60 Handily
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:15 pm

Baffert has another 3yo colt who may have a world of potential. His Scat Daddy colt, Justify, just won the 2nd at Santa Anita, a 7-furlong MSW on the main, by what looked like double digits. A gorgeous 'gleaming chestnut' (Wrona's words), I suspect we may see this one in a stakes next.
I know that a more measured progression would have him in an allowance next but, hey, it's just a little over two months to the Derby. Connections with good colts aren't likely to be 'measured' in their approach to where they next run their talented boys. :roll:
stark

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:35 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Baffert has another 3yo colt who may have a world of potential. His Scat Daddy colt, Justify, just won the 2nd at Santa Anita, a 7-furlong MSW on the main, by what looked like double digits. A gorgeous 'gleaming chestnut' (Wrona's words), I suspect we may see this one in a stakes next.
I know that a more measured progression would have him in an allowance next but, hey, it's just a little over two months to the Derby. Connections with good colts aren't likely to be 'measured' in their approach to where they next run their talented boys. :roll:
Jeff Siegel
‏@jsiegelracing

It's not too late to consider Justify a possibility for the Derby, according to Bob Baffert. "There is a plan," says Bob. What is it? "I can't tell you, but there is a plan." Needless to say, Justify's maiden win was the most impressive of the year.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:23 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Baffert has another 3yo colt who may have a world of potential. His Scat Daddy colt, Justify, just won the 2nd at Santa Anita, a 7-furlong MSW on the main, by what looked like double digits. A gorgeous 'gleaming chestnut' (Wrona's words), I suspect we may see this one in a stakes next.
104 BSF
Treve

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:32 pm

Could Justify finally be the one to break the Curse of Apollo? :lol:
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

stark

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:12 pm

Random notes from DRF....

Marconi has shipped from New York to Florida, and will contest the Fountain of Youth on March 3rd.

Unbeaten colt Magnum Moon headed to Rebel for next start, per Pletcher

Vino Rosso to Tampa Bay Derby; Velazquez to ride him that day, which is why Prat is on World Approval at SA

Saez chooses Strike Power for Fountain of Youth

Albarado picks up Free Drop Billy
PJMIII

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:27 pm

Tap Rap Strike (3-Year-Old Colt)
Date: February 21, 2018
Track: PALM MEADOWS TRAINING CENTER
Distance: Five Furlongs
Time: 1.00:90 Breezing

Firenze Fire (3-Year-Old Colt)
Date: February 21, 2018
Track: BELMONT PARK
Distance: Four Furlongs
Time: 51:23 Breezing
Surface: Dirt training
tcw

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:51 pm

Anyone know why Justify took so long to run in the afternoon?
Sparrow Castle

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:35 pm

One prep for Kentucky for Avery Island
Godolphin trainer Kiaran McLaughlin is forming the opinion that Avery Island will need just one more run under his belt before lining up in the G1 Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs on Saturday, 5 May.

McLaughlin is looking at the G2 Louisiana Derby, over one mile and an eighth, on Saturday, 24 March, as the colt’s final prep race for the ‘Run For The Roses.’

A range of options were laid out before the trainer following the colt’s noteworthy victory in the G3 Withers Stakes at Aqueduct on 3 February.

But McLaughlin is coming around to the view that only one more start is required to prepare for the big day — unlike stablemate Enticed, who needs to build up qualifying points to ensure a place in the field.

“The Louisiana Derby at Fair Grounds fits us well for Avery Island. It is seven weeks since the Withers at Aqueduct, and six weeks before the Kentucky Derby. We are tentatively pointing that way (Fair Grounds). The timing is good,” he said.

As a back-up, McLaughlin also has the G2 Bluegrass Stakes at Keeneland and the G2 Wood Memorial at Aqueduct, both on Saturday, 7 April, to fall back on, should the colt need an extra run.

The trainer added that Enticed was likely to go next for the G3 Gotham Stakes, over one mile, at Aqueduct on Saturday, 10 March.

“I would like him to have two runs before the Kentucky Derby, and he needs to perform well to get to Churchill Downs,” he pointed out.

Enticed finished fourth to Audible in the G2 Holy Bull Stakes at Gulfstream Park on Saturday, 3 February.

Both McLaughlin’s Derby colts are scheduled to have serious training work-outs this Friday.
https://news.godolphin.com/news/one-pre ... ery-island