3yos of 2018

stark

Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:24 pm

Did not realize this gem from Indian Charlie, assuming it's true....

Not one horse suffered an injury in this year's triple crown races, amazing considering the conditions!
Congrats to the three track maintenance crews!

http://www.indiancharlie.com/2018/06/15 ... e-16-2018/
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Sparrow Castle

Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:03 pm

Jeremy Balan Verified account@BH_JBalan
2m2 minutes ago
Arkansas Derby winner Magnum Moon sustained a career-ending injury during a workout today at Belmont Park, according to Jacob West, the bloodstock agent and racing manager for owners Robert and Lawana Low. The colt is currently at Cornell Ruffian Equine Hospital. (more below)

The injury occurred during the gallop out after his breeze today. West said the injury was a "structural injury" in one of Magnum Moon's front limbs. He's unsure of the course of action at this point, but will know more soon.

"We're basically playing the waiting game."
Squeaky

Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:13 pm

MM made it through surgery but faces long road ahead for recovery of undisclosed injury.
bare it all

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:42 pm

Why on earth aren't they being more upfront about the severity and nature of the injury?
Flanders

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:47 pm

bare it all wrote:Why on earth aren't they being more upfront about the severity and nature of the injury?
I think you can blame social media for that. I would imagine the owners don't want phone calls or constant posts about how they did the horse wrong.
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:46 pm

Audible out of training, aimed at 2019 Pegasus
Florida Derby winner and Kentucky Derby third-place finisher Audible has been taken out of training and won’t race again until the end of this year at the earliest, trainer Todd Pletcher said.

Audible in late May was sent from Todd Pletcher’s base at Belmont Park to the Rood and Riddle Clinic in Kentucky for a full physical exam because Pletcher wasn’t satisfied with the way the horse was training. Veterinarians found no substantive problems with the colt and after spending a short time at WinStar Farm, a part-owner of the colt, Audible returned to New York.

But after watching the horse continue training since his return, Pletcher recommended pulling the plug again, and Audible has been shipped back to WinStar.

“The bottom line is I just really wasn’t satisfied with his training,” Pletcher said Friday morning. “After discussing it with the connections we felt like some additional time would do him well. Look forward to getting him back in the fall, hopefully with a race at Gulfstream before the Pegasus. If we delayed much more, we’d be putting that plan in jeopardy.”

The 2019 Pegasus World cup is scheduled for Jan. 26.
More: http://live.drf.com/nuggets/43329-audib ... 19-pegasus
Sparrow Castle

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:10 pm

Thoroughbred Insider @ThoroInsider
MENDELSSOHN is scheduled to return on Saturday, July 7 in the G3 Dwyer Stakes at Belmont Park.

It will be 1 of 2 prep races before the year end goal - the Breeders ' Cup Classic in November at Churchill Downs.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:27 pm

I know that some fans had the opinion that Audible was held out of the Belmont just to give Justify an easier time of it, but the fact that the colt has been sent to the farm for a second, long rest makes me believe that there really is something amiss with him.
It's not like either the trainer or owner(s) would pass up the lucrative summer sophomore stakes with the talented colt if he were completely sound.
roxyllsk

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:38 pm

Have the connections of any of the 3 yr olds committed to the Haskell yet ? It's a month out already
Treve

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:08 pm

roxyllsk wrote:Have the connections of any of the 3 yr olds committed to the Haskell yet ? It's a month out already
I don't know of any assertive statements but the connections of Justify and those of Supreme Aura have mentioned it being under consideration.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Izvestia

Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:05 pm

Magnum Moon and Audible both pushed to the Derby, and oddly enough from the same barn.
Racing/training is brutal on some of these horses, it’s a wonder when horses that go through the TC prep/TC races start more than 5-10 times. Then they go on to breed- such a stupid cycle.
Starine

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:33 pm

High North won the Iowa Derby but the top seven finishers were only separated by 2-1/2 lengths at the wire. This Bloodhorse recap includes a neat photo of the finish by Coady Photography:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... iowa-derby
Diver52

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:03 pm

The other Baffert, Once on Whiskey, won the Los Alamitos Derby as Ax Man faded. In his debut, he lagged early then finished fast yo be second behind stablemate Curly's Rocket, with Core Beliefs third.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Starine

Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:53 pm

Free Drop Billy Could Switch To Turf For Secretariat Stakes
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/thor ... at-stakes/
Flute

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:56 am

Not a particularly huge fan of Asmussen (not a non-fan either, no strong opinions at all), but I am a big fan of this horse and happy to see him getting a bigger chance!

Bolt d'Oro Moving to Asmussen Barn After Freshening
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... freshening
stark

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:58 am

Flute wrote:Not a particularly huge fan of Asmussen (not a non-fan either, no strong opinions at all), but I am a big fan of this horse and happy to see him getting a bigger chance!

Best quote of the day.....

The decision was made by Mick Ruis, who previously trained the Medaglia d'Oro colt himself, according to Toffey.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Treve

Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:35 pm

stark wrote:
Flute wrote:Not a particularly huge fan of Asmussen (not a non-fan either, no strong opinions at all), but I am a big fan of this horse and happy to see him getting a bigger chance!

Best quote of the day.....

The decision was made by Mick Ruis, who previously trained the Medaglia d'Oro colt himself, according to Toffey.
Kudos to Mr Ruis for putting his ego aside and considering the long term good of the horse (that is to say, his well-being, his chance to reach full potential, and of course his prospective value at stud).
I think Asmussen will be a good fit for Bolt.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Ballerina

Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Agreed. Looking forward to seeing him in the flesh.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:45 pm

Aren't Ruis and his stable located almost entirely on the West Coast? If he wanted to see Bolt run back East, putting his colt with a trainer who has established barns there makes sense.
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:41 pm

Ruis seems like a good dude. Hope he continues to grow and find success!

Doesn’t he own the colt?