Ballymacoll Stud

Ballymacoll Stud

Postby Cladan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:07 pm

It was bittersweet to see the remaining Ballymacoll bloodstock sold at Tattersalls earlier this month. Such great horses that the Weinstock family bred over the years; Troy, Pilsudski, Golan, Sun Princess, Islington, Hellenic, Reform, Gaily, Sallust, to name but a few.

It was exciting to see such good prices attained for the mares, a credit to Peter Reynolds and his wonderful staff and the care they have provided over the years.

In 1983 and during the time of Lord and Simon Weinstock, I wrote to Mr Reynolds, curious about the Ballymacoll families and how 'theoretically' the mares could be utilised stateside. During that time, Simon planned all of the matings and the nursery had over 36 mares, aligned to around 12 families. Although the Solana and Miss Coventry bloodlines (among others) were well known to me, some of the other families were less familiar, particularly given that the Weinstock's had also bought into a number of French families; Pearly Queen etc.

Without any previous contact, I sent Peter charts of each of the Ballymacoll mares that I understood were under Weinstock ownership. i had completed the charts to the extent that my knowledge and the literature would allow me and cheekily asked if he could 'fill in the gaps' of the bloodlines.

To my surprise, not only did he personally complete the charts but Peter sent me additional information on a couple of mares Simon Weinstock had recently bought privately.

I will never forget the kindness that Peter Reynolds showed me in his letter and the information he shared. A true gentleman and I wish him every happiness in his retirement.
Cladan

Re: Ballymacoll Stud

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:11 pm

Such a sweet story, Cladan. Thanks for that.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:31 pm

The closing of such a historic stud certainly is bittersweet, and I thought especially poignant when they brought Islington into the ring (followed as much as I could on Twitter). Likely more than a few tears shed, though it was good to see them sell so well. That is wonderful that Peter Reynolds was so responsive to your request. Such kindness is always remembered. Thanks for sharing this.
Sparrow Castle

Postby serenassong » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:47 pm

What a wonderful story. It just goes to show how much dedication and care they had in their operation, was heart over pocketbook it seems in this case.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Return to Racing