Proposals unveiled for underused parcels at Belmont Park

Proposals unveiled for underused parcels at Belmont Park

Postby With Anticipation » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:37 pm

ELMONT, N.Y. – For the first time publically, the two groups hoping to redevelop underutilized property at Belmont Park revealed their plans on Sunday.

One group, representing the New York Islanders of the National Hockey League, wants to build an 18,000-seat arena that would return the team to Long Island, where they played at the Nassau Coliseum from 1972 to 2015 before moving to Brooklyn. The plan includes 435,000 square feet of dining and retail space as well as a hotel and 10,000 square feet for community space.

Another group, representing the New York City Football Club, a professional soccer team owned in part by the New York Yankees, wants to build a 26,000-seat soccer stadium. That plan also includes 400,000 square feet for dining and retail as well as 5.2 acres for a community park and two acres for smaller community soccer fields.

Based on the proposals unveiled Sunday, either venue would be constructed on the property of Belmont Park behind the western end of the grandstand and take up significant space in the backyard along with retail and dining shops. Both venues would be easily accessible to the Long Island Rail Road station.

http://www.drf.com/news/proposals-unvei ... lmont-park
With Anticipation

Re: Proposals unveiled for underused parcels at Belmont Park

Postby Somnambulist » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:00 pm

Rumor mill churning and an announcement later. Islanders will move/build.

The LIRR is the most corrupt and defunct POS in the nation. Stupid. No one is going to rely on the train to get there.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby WarBiscuit » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:03 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Rumor mill churning and an announcement later. Islanders will move/build.

The LIRR is the most corrupt and defunct POS in the nation. Stupid. No one is going to rely on the train to get there.

I hope one day that you can tell us what you really think of the LIRR :) ;) . The upper echelon brain trust at the railroad may leave something to be desired, but the antiquated physical plant is a major culprit here and that is about to change in a big way. The MTA board has at long last just approved a $1.8 billion dollar program to add 9.8 miles of third main track between Floral Park and Hicksville. This will include the ability to operate two directional service on the main line for the first time in LIRR history, new signals, switches, power substations, station improvements and a number of other related items which the run-of-the-mill commuter has not a clue, nor cares much about. Much will be streamlined between Floral Park and Mineola. When I lived in Montauk in the 70's, even the supposedly non-stop Cannonball could rarely make it from Manhattan to the end of the line without getting clusterf@#$^d at Jamaica. After decades of working on Lexington Ave, I finally had enough of the LIRR - even back then, although the service was superior when it was actually run by railroaders, and not the white-shirts. Pretty much vanished 40 years ago. The infrastructure will be improved - they just need to eliminate the totally useless people who collect MTA checks for no reason

Long story short, even for those who do not believe in Santa Claus, there may be hope for the LIRR yet. They realize just how despised they are and actually have taken a first step in doing something to make things more fluid. Hang in there Som, and don't apply for a PR job at the LIRR - you wouldn't be good there.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
WarBiscuit

Postby Somnambulist » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:23 pm

I live in mid-Suffolk and there is no reason for the lack of communication provided by the LIRR. I rotate between the Babylon and Ronkonkoma lines. It's standing room only by Farmingdale/Massapequa most days. There are a tremendous amount of Islanders fans and none of them will be taking the train. People in Suffolk and eastern Nassau drive.. it's what we do.

However if you were taking the Lex Ave line it's no wonder you have a high tolerance (I just stopped taking that one myself). I'll also believe that plan to fix it when I see it. Today was the 4th time in 2 weeks that my train was delayed moreso than normal so I am probably cranky.

It is interesting to see how Belmont's redevelopment will be effected by it the NHL in the area, since if this is actually accurate it'll bring with it shopping, dining, etc. Can't believe it might actually be happening, if only because it's been bandied about for so long with nothing happening.
Somnambulist

Postby Horsebagger » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:28 pm

Somnambulist wrote:I live in mid-Suffolk and there is no reason for the lack of communication provided by the LIRR. I rotate between the Babylon and Ronkonkoma lines. It's standing room only by Farmingdale/Massapequa most days. There are a tremendous amount of Islanders fans and none of them will be taking the train. People in Suffolk and eastern Nassau drive.. it's what we do.

However if you were taking the Lex Ave line it's no wonder you have a high tolerance (I just stopped taking that one myself). I'll also believe that plan to fix it when I see it. Today was the 4th time in 2 weeks that my train was delayed moreso than normal so I am probably cranky.

It is interesting to see how Belmont's redevelopment will be effected by it the NHL in the area, since if this is actually accurate it'll bring with it shopping, dining, etc. Can't believe it might actually be happening, if only because it's been bandied about for so long with nothing happening.

Difference now Som is that it's been privatized, and there are some pretty sharp real estate guys on the board. Also looking at development options of the excess land at Aqueduct.

And there is zero chance I will be using the LIRR to go to Belmont if you'd have to to all the way west and transfer at Jamaica and backtrack east everytime. Somebody is going to have to figure that out before I'm dead to consider that as an option
Horsebagger

Postby Somnambulist » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:13 pm

Horsebagger wrote:Difference now Som is that it's been privatized, and there are some pretty sharp real estate guys on the board. Also looking at development options of the excess land at Aqueduct.

And there is zero chance I will be using the LIRR to go to Belmont if you'd have to to all the way west and transfer at Jamaica and backtrack east everytime. Somebody is going to have to figure that out before I'm dead to consider that as an option

Smart people making good deals is good for everyone. Christ knows there aren't many people out there doing them (the smart, well thought out ideas that is). Elmont could use the economic boost; hopefully they actually see some of it. NYRA is smart for it. When are they going to sell Aqueduct? That surely has to be on the table. A few years after Belmont is reno'd? That Cuomo desired convention center and all.. or whatever else.

Also what's this talk of Yonkers utilizing Belmont too? It's the way life goes but the day is fast approaching that I'll end up like my parents... driving past the Roosevelt Raceway thinking of what was. Ugh.

I only mention the LIRR issues because I imagine Belmont ends up more or a year-round thing once they reno it. I'm not sure why else you'd be ok with sinking capital into it without making it fall/winter compatible. I guess that's moot.. racing won't draw with the NHL does. Plus I also just like ragging on it. $4500+ to ride that thing a year and it's an armpit of an experience.

Too bad Long Island offers no job that pays a liveable wage, War Biscuit, otherwise I might not have to hate the festering turd that is the LIRR so much..
Last edited by Somnambulist on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Somnambulist

Postby Somnambulist » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:13 pm

Duplicate.
Somnambulist

Postby Somnambulist » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:12 pm

Well, it's approved as of yesterday... alongside this today:
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/qa-with-chris-kay/

As a millennial who loves racing.. not sure night lights are gonna do it. For free beer I bet my boyfriend, sister, and friends would be more than happy to give Mr. Kay and NYRA some real insight on what might attract people.

No one has really ever driven to see the Islanders, which is why they moved them to begin with (or partially).

Interesting times.
Somnambulist

Return to Racing