Clasico del Caribe

Clasico del Caribe

Postby firehorse » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:41 pm

It rained heavy early and is still dreary but there is a huge crowd - other than for Florida Derby day I've never seen so many people here. A totally different vibe, fun atmosphere, but they're totally trashing the place.
firehorse

Re: Clasico del Caribe

Postby Miss Woodford » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:27 pm

Ooh, I didn't realize the Serie Hipica del Caribe was at Gulfstream this year. It makes sense though, there's no way Camarero can host the event after all the damage it sustained from Maria.
Miss Woodford

Postby firehorse » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:38 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:Ooh, I didn't realize the Serie Hipica del Caribe was at Gulfstream this year. It makes sense though, there's no way Camarero can host the event after all the damage it sustained from Maria.

It was really a fun day, a lot of people flew in for the race and there was a large number of local Puerto Ricans, Venezuelans and Panamanians that I could see, was rather funny when the Mexican filly won though, the crowd went silent - there's a lot of Latins in Florida, but not a whole lot of Mexicans around Miami. I bet on the other Mexican filly based on looks alone since I didn't know anything about these horses - she came in 3rd, she and the winner both have the same sire 'Point Determined'. I was most impressed by the fact that the horses seemed bomb proof - the crowd was 'festive' to say the least, they must be a little used to it.
firehorse

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:17 pm

"...she and the winner both have the same sire 'Point Determined'."

Point Determined is a 2003 son of Point Given, one of my all-time favorites who was just pensioned to the KHC. I remember watching Point D. race and hoped he might be the colt who gave the Big Red Train a worthy son at stud.
Guess he is having an impact south of the border. :)
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Miss Woodford » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:25 pm

firehorse wrote:
Miss Woodford wrote:Ooh, I didn't realize the Serie Hipica del Caribe was at Gulfstream this year. It makes sense though, there's no way Camarero can host the event after all the damage it sustained from Maria.

It was really a fun day, a lot of people flew in for the race and there was a large number of local Puerto Ricans, Venezuelans and Panamanians that I could see, was rather funny when the Mexican filly won though, the crowd went silent - there's a lot of Latins in Florida, but not a whole lot of Mexicans around Miami. I bet on the other Mexican filly based on looks alone since I didn't know anything about these horses - she came in 3rd, she and the winner both have the same sire 'Point Determined'. I was most impressed by the fact that the horses seemed bomb proof - the crowd was 'festive' to say the least, they must be a little used to it.

The Clasico del Caribe winner Jala Jala was a bit of an upset, as both Puerto Rican Triple Crown winner Justiciero and Dominican Triple Crown winner Inmenso finished off the board. I imagine the Puerto Ricans in the crowd were rooting for Justiciero so the silence after Jala Jala won was understandable - imagine American Pharoah getting badly beat in the Breeders Cup Classic. The PR horses in general had a poor showing. Mexico and Panama each took two races with Venezuela taking the Copa Velocidad.

The Puerto Rican jockeys did well though. Irad Ortiz won 3 of the big races today while Johnny Velazquez won the other two. Incidentally, the Invitational winner Coltimus Prime is owned by former jockey Rene Douglas, who brought the horse from allowance company in Canada back to his home track in Panama and has enjoyed stakes success with him there.
Miss Woodford

Return to Racing