Other Racing Message Boards?

Re: Other Racing Message Boards?

Postby serenassong » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:13 am

Starine wrote:
Yes, it's post-Breeders' Cup and pre-Triple Crown trail, but there is still a lot to talk about. The upcoming Pegasus Cup (which looks like a fantastic and competitive edition, by the way, the Arima Kinen in Japan, exciting two-year-olds debuting at Gulfstream...

Of course. I will agree that I dont come over here at much anymore- my main focus for a long time has been following Grand Reward and Harlington get- both are now in foreign lands and their last US crops are up there. Schramsberg is in Canada- but the CA tracks have very little this time of year- except maybe Woodbine- his runners run at the like of Northfields and Century Downs, etc. Remarkable Vintage is a horse to watch, BTW

Ive made some new friends on racing boards located at FB- and am careful who I "friend". It works well. We do also have a FB page- and a pinned post with call names/real life names.

The Honor Codes are coming into the sales- and that's a whole new and exciting area. I have also toyed with going thru the now GR broodies and following those babies. I do have a few on my lists.

Life, as of late, has gotten in the way, but I do enjoy wandering over here as much as I can.

BTW- the "ignore" button can be your best friend :D
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Postby Somnambulist » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:52 am

Tessablue wrote:I mean, the tone of the first post wasn't exactly friendly and you were literally asking for people to send you elsewhere. It's always a shame when people leave and good discussion is welcomed from anyone, but wasn't this the intended result anyways?

It read just as a question to me.

I also don't really know how much social media contributed to the "demise" of this place. It's impossible to reset your password (I'm logged onto 1 place permanently and can't reset it). New people (or people from the past after multiple server crashes) can't register without woe. A lot of the smart people left. People were run off or they burned out. I can count on 1 hand the amount of truly thought provoking topics here in the past 6 months when there used to be one topic like that weekly.

Forums in general aren't what they used to be but it's difficult to find real life people to discuss racing with so I think the forum concept could be sustained, albeit not to the way it was years ago.

But, life gets in the way. 5 years ago I had off two days a week. I now commute 4 hours a day and often don't get home until 9:30PM and at that point I'm too tired to eat let alone care about thinking very hard. We probably all are in the grind, too.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Ballerina » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:38 am

Some people knock themselves out posting information and photos with not so much as a thank you in return from the majority. I'm happy with the fact that read counts on the myriad of photos my husband and I take at Saratoga are HUGE even if few acknowledge. I well remember one time I made a mistake identifying a horse running with Jess's Dream's work and was put upon by concrete boots for my error. Just have to have thick skin.
Ballerina

Postby Starine » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:46 pm

Indiano wrote:I though that I asked a fairly innocuous question. It wouldn't have been the first time that a online community picked up and moved to greener pastures. That's how this board got started in the first place. I didn't expect to get mocked and piled on. Good luck to you all. I won't be back.

I guess I don't understand. At what point were you mocked and piled on? You mentioned that you thought this forum was no longer very active; we noticed that your number of posts was relatively low and suggested you contribute more to help keep things going. Is that really such a rude thing?
Starine

Postby Falinadin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:17 pm

Somnambulist wrote:I also don't really know how much social media contributed to the "demise" of this place. It's impossible to reset your password (I'm logged onto 1 place permanently and can't reset it). New people (or people from the past after multiple server crashes) can't register without woe. A lot of the smart people left. People were run off or they burned out. I can count on 1 hand the amount of truly thought provoking topics here in the past 6 months when there used to be one topic like that weekly.

This is my first post on the forum :) I have to agree with Som, I had tried to register for about 2 years and wouldn't get confirmation emails to be able to do so. I also couldn't message any moderators because I had to be a member to do so. FINALLY I managed to register a few days ago. But I have to think that the forum has been harmed because of its technical issues.
Falinadin

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:06 am

For two YEARS? :o
That's just..... :?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:09 am

Falinadin wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:I also don't really know how much social media contributed to the "demise" of this place. It's impossible to reset your password (I'm logged onto 1 place permanently and can't reset it). New people (or people from the past after multiple server crashes) can't register without woe. A lot of the smart people left. People were run off or they burned out. I can count on 1 hand the amount of truly thought provoking topics here in the past 6 months when there used to be one topic like that weekly.

This is my first post on the forum :) I have to agree with Som, I had tried to register for about 2 years and wouldn't get confirmation emails to be able to do so. I also couldn't message any moderators because I had to be a member to do so. FINALLY I managed to register a few days ago. But I have to think that the forum has been harmed because of its technical issues.

Welcome aboard!
Sparrow Castle

Postby Falinadin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:58 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:For two YEARS? :o

I'm a long, long time lurker. I'd try to register every few months, and it never worked. Then by some random Christmas miracle, here I am!
The only other place I'm active in is r/horseracing, but as previously mentioned it's pretty slow (slower than here). I've tried to find other forums, but honestly I keep coming back here, despite not being able to respond until now.
Falinadin

Postby Somnambulist » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:22 am

Falinadin wrote:

I'm a long, long time lurker. I'd try to register every few months, and it never worked. Then by some random Christmas miracle, here I am!
The only other place I'm active in is r/horseracing, but as previously mentioned it's pretty slow (slower than here). I've tried to find other forums, but honestly I keep coming back here, despite not being able to respond until now.

When this forum went down a year and a half ago I tried finding somewhere else to talk/read racing, only to find a separate forum where several long term members here found themselves locked out and unable to come back on.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Retrospectiv » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:41 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Falinadin wrote:

When this forum went down a year and a half ago I tried finding somewhere else to talk/read racing, only to find a separate forum where several long term members here found themselves locked out and unable to come back on.

I remember that. That was when I set up the FB group page. It's not an active page like many racing ones, the intent at the time was for people to find each other from this site, and chat a bit until it ever came back up again.

Is that other site still active? I'd registered, but can't recall the name now.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Retrospectiv

PreviousNext

Return to Racing