Fire at San Luis Rey!?

Re: Fire at San Luis Rey!?

Postby Northport » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:25 pm

stark wrote:On a related note, a few hours up the coast in Santa Barbara, the states 3rd largest fire of all time is still raging.

Santa Barbara Zoo prepares to evacuate over Thomas Fire

Interesting tweet...."We DO NOT need public assistance. Do not come to the Zoo. Stay safe," the Zoo tweeted.

http://www.keyt.com/news/santa-barbara- ... /674022543

The last thing they probably want is people with zero training or experience with wild animals running into the fire, attempting to help. Finding horse people in the LA area who are willing to help (my aunt, a rider, and her bf, a professional shipper, spent 24 hours straight hauling any horse they could get their hands on to safety when one of the top showjumping barns in the area burned down - http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/cal ... ying-farms ) maybe was not so difficult, but next to no one, besides zoo staff would know how to handle a zoo animal.
weeeeeeeee
Northport

Postby With Anticipation » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Hovdey: Stronach delivers clarion wake-up call

It’s not every day that a racing company’s plans for the future are laid out in stark terms anyone can understand. More often than not, the public is delivered corporate platitudes and pies in the sky. Not so last Wednesday at Santa Anita, where track owner Frank Stronach and chief operating officer Tim Ritvo answered pointed questions from a group of owners and trainers concerning the future of California racing in the wake of the San Luis Rey Downs fire.

The Stronach Group owns San Luis Rey Downs, and since the closure of Hollywood Park in early 2014 it has been maintained as a popular facility used by the stables of some of California’s top trainers. Horses win running out of San Luis Rey, just as they win running out of training centers like Fair Hill, Payson Park, or Palm Meadows.

http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-stronach ... -wake-call
With Anticipation

Postby Catalina » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:55 pm

I most certainly hope that Stronach reconsiders. Having 2,500 thoroughbreds stabled at Santa Anita (or any other single place) is begging for trouble. You have any natural or man-made disaster, from infectious disease to fires, landslides, earthquakes, sinkholes, tsunamis, etc, do you really, really want to risk that large a percentage of the West Coast TBs in training? You would think the San Luis Rey fire would have taught them that it's better to have the shed-rows smaller and further apart than having huge blocks.
Catalina

Postby Sparrow Castle » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:27 pm

Robert Yates‏ @RobertYates1982
50m50 minutes ago
Avicii on Tue. AM @OaklawnRacing for @DougONeill1. His 45th & final horse accounted for (all were safe) from 12/7 San Luis Rey Downs fire.
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:48 am

San Luis Rey Victim Bellocq Has Long Road to Recovery
Pierre Bellocq, the husband of Martine Bellocq, said Tuesday that his wife has made slight improvement since being burned in the Dec. 7 fire at San Luis Rey Downs, but added that she had a long battle ahead of her.

“It’s going to be a very long healing process and a very long medical process, but she is out of critical care,” said Bellocq, who served as the co-trainer with his wife of a six-horse stable at San Luis Rey. “She is still in very serious condition. She has had some surgeries, about four of them already on the skin, and has many more to come. The progress is there, but it is very, very little. It’s going to take a long time. According to the heart monitor, she apparently can hear me when I talk to her now, but she can’t communicate at all yet. It’s going to take time, but the care at this hospital [the Burn Center at UC San Diego Health] is extraordinary. I do believe she will return to a normal life, but even the doctors don’t know if it is going to take six months or nine months or how long. It depends on how her burns heal.”

Bellocq described a harrowing and chaotic scene at San Luis Rey when the fire swept through the training center. He said his wife put the safety of the horses over her own as the two worked feverishly to get their horses out of harm’s way. Bellocq said he had rescued a horse and went to take it to the training track, and warned his wife not to go back in the barn.

“We had a very nice, unraced 2-year-old colt,” Bellocq said of a horse named Wild Bill Hickory (Many Rivers). “He was a beautiful specimen, starting to train on. He was sort of the star of the show, and unfortunately, he was in the worst possible spot when everything went to hell. She had tried first hosing down the stalls of the horses. Then it just exploded. She went in there to try to get him out to save him, and got as far as the shedrow, and the horse was just engulfed in flames and so was she, basically. She wouldn’t have done it any other way, outside of being physically dragged away and I was too late to do that when the barn just exploded.”

While noting his wife’s heroic act, he said he is more focused on the results of her decision to go in after the horse.

“It’s something that is perhaps frustrating, because I was trying to convince her not to put her life in danger,” he said. “I asked her not to go in there after I left with the horse and when I got back to the barn, I found her on the ground in the state she was in. Third-degree burns over 60% of her body. I would have much preferred that she didn’t get burned the way she did.”

More: http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/san-luis-rey-victim-bellocq-has-long-road-to-recovery/
Sparrow Castle

Postby stark » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:58 pm

An Evening of Music to Support the Victims of the Fire at San Luis Rey Downs Training Center
Featuring Burt Bacharach with a special guest performance by Elvis Costello

https://www.dmtc.com/media/news/an-even ... f-the-1122
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:06 pm

Rick Gold‏ @SenorOro
Presale tickets sold out in minutes. Regular tickets on sale Friday. It’s amazing to see how the horse racing community has come together to support the victims of SLR. Much done, much to do.

Del Mar Racetrack‏Verified account @DelMarRacing
"The horrible circumstances around the San Luis Rey Downs fire cry out for aid in so many ways. This is my way of giving back to the horse community.“
An Evening with Burt Bacharach ft. Elvis Costello @BellyUpMusic goes on pre-sale today at 4PM
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:13 pm

One Year After Tragedy, Reed Regaining His Normalcy
Trainer recovering professionally, emotionally after fire at Mercury Equine Center.
On Dec. 18, trainer Eric Reed and his staff at Mercury Equine Center gathered and let the memory of what they wish never was wash over them once more.

They stood side by side as the tears came in honor of those lost, specifically the 23 Thoroughbreds who perished as a result of a devastating fire that hit Reed's training facility near Lexington 12 months before. Time can be a remarkable salve and in the year that has passed since every horseman's worst nightmare came to fruition, there is tangible evidence of recovery—the new barn they broke ground on a few weeks ago and the support of clients and friends, who made sure the veteran conditioner got back on his feet both professionally and emotionally.

There is no forgetting, though, nor should there be in the aftermath of such heartache. But while the pain is still present, so too is the healing that has dutifully come as a result...

..Remarkably, the tragedies at Mercury Equine Center and San Luis Rey managed to produce a joint ambassador for the remarkable level of hope that can emerge from the worst of circumstances.

Fuega, a dark bay Union Rags filly, was among those who survived the fire at Reed's facility—hence her moniker. In a can't-script-it twist of fate, the now 2-year-old Fuega was also stabled at San Luis Rey when that inferno happened and, again, managed to escape with no major injuries.

More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/225264/one-year-after-tragedy-reed-regaining-his-normalcy
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:57 pm

Videos embedded in the article.

'It Was Just Bedlam': Horse Trainer Saves Prized Filly in Lilac Fire
Joe Herrick and Lovely Finish have visible scars from their near-death experience in the Lilac Fire
By Liberty Zabala and R. Stickney

A San Diego horse trainer ran through a wall of flames to rescue his prized filly as a wildfire raced through the barn earlier this month, killing six of his horses.

Arms still bandaged, Joe Herrick visited Lovely Finish in her stable Wednesday. Both have visible scars from their near-death experience in the Lilac Fire.

Flames swept across the North County on Dec. 7, destroying more than 100 homes and scorching 4,100 acres.

Herrick ran towards the flames at San Luis Rey Downs, a training center in Bonsall. He was desperate to save his horses including Lovely Finish.

In the incredible heat, Herrick’s horse trailer caught on fire. In a matter of seconds, the barn caught fire.

“It was just a like a hurricane of fire, wind and debris just blowing into the barn,” Herrick said, describing how the lower barns on the property were destroyed within 10 minutes.

“There were horses running wild, kicking each other,” he said. “It was just bedlam. It was crazy.”

Herrick jumped into action, running to get horses out of the barn. One suddenly ran right back into the barn to her death, he said.

As he went to move Lovely Finish, they were hit by flames.

“We had a big fireball hit us as we were trying to get out of the stall,” Herrick said.

When the horse pushed her way out of the stall, he did his best to hang on.

In the process, the two suffered serious burns from the intense heat. Herrick describes feeling as if his shirt and hair were melting.

Once outside the barn, despite the urging of emergency personnel, Herrick refused to leave the area until his prized filly was safe with his groom.

“I knew with my injuries I was going to be in trouble for a while,” he said.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/It-Was-Bedlam-Horse-Trainer-Saves-Prized-Filly-in-Lilac-Fire-465676103.html
Sparrow Castle

Postby stark » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:44 pm

HORSES LOST IN LILAC FIRE IDENTIFIED
http://www.chrb.ca.gov/press_releases/2 ... elease.pdf
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

PreviousNext

Return to Racing