Fire at San Luis Rey!?

Re: Fire at San Luis Rey!?

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:00 pm

Brian Trump‏ @realBrianTrump
Dec 12
You guys never got a chance to meet him, but this was our unraced 2yo colt AMALFI DRIVE who tragically perished in the #lilacfire. He had his whole career ahead of him. Just breaks my heart. #NeverForgotten – at San Luis Rey Downs

20m20 minutes ago
Spent the day at our relocated Del Mar stable and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the condition of the majority of our horses. A big thank you to all of the volunteers who helped our horses and our grooms relocate. We are forever grateful.

8m8 minutes ago
Brian Trump Retweeted Brian Trump
Miracle that she came out without a single scratch on her.
SURRENDER NOW looks awesome. Can’t wait to get her back into training.
Video: https://twitter.com/realBrianTrump/status/941467092116578304
Sparrow Castle

Postby Catalina » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:29 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:Brian Trump‏ @realBrianTrump
Dec 12
You guys never got a chance to meet him, but this was our unraced 2yo colt AMALFI DRIVE who tragically perished in the #lilacfire. He had his whole career ahead of him. Just breaks my heart. #NeverForgotten – at San Luis Rey Downs

What a handsome colt he was, SC. My deepest condolences to all of you.
Catalina

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Amalfi has such a soulful look. My condolences to all his connections. :(
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:21 pm

'Nightmare' at San Luis Rey Downs leaves pain, promise in wake
The Lilac Fire that ravaged North County incited panic at San Luis Rey Downs as the flames flickered, leaving the horse training facility in profound pain.

At least 46 horses died that day, falling from fire, smoke inhalation, heart attacks and injuries. Horse hide was found far from the flames, on an aluminum gate along the track’s inside rail — a jarring sign of the chaos that swirled.

What did San Luis Rey endure in those fateful, flame-filled hours on Dec. 7 as the fire ambushed stalls holding about 450 horses at the 240-acre facility?

More: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/bryce-miller/sd-sp-miller-san-luis-rey-fire-20171217-story.html
Sparrow Castle

Postby Retrospectiv » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:42 pm

Poor Conquest Typhoon :(

Veterinarian/owner Korin Potenza feeds a banana to Conquest Typhoon, a horse trained by Peter Miller, at the San Luis Rey Equine Hospital. Conquest Typhoon was burned during the Lilac Fire at the San Luis Rey Training Center.

"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Retrospectiv

Postby Northport » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:47 pm

Poor guy. Of any place to get a burn, getting one around the mouth/eyes can't be easy to rehabilitate. At least it looks like it hasn't affected his appetite too much.
weeeeeeeee
Northport

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:51 pm

If his lips are burned, he may be only able to eat stuff as soft as bananas. I really hope he can heal quickly.
And that he's on some really good pain meds right now. :(
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Northport » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:57 pm

The Union Tribute article mentioned that bananas, bran mash soup, and applesauce are all he can really eat.
weeeeeeeee
Northport

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:03 pm

I want to thank all the connections who have shared photos of their SLR horses...found safe or injured. And especially for the pictures of those who were lost. It gives all of us a chance to know and appreciate these beautiful animals, even if just a tiny bit.
Also thanks to all our TBC folks who are posting the photos, tweets and links.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Ridan_Remembered » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:26 pm

My heart breaks for Typhoon, Langtry, trainer Martine, and everyone affected by this terrible tragedy, human and equine. Hopefully they can sustain his health on such a diet until he's able to eat hay, oats and other more typical equine food.

Looking at the damaged barns, it's a wonder so many people and horses got out alive.
Ridan_Remembered

PreviousNext

Return to Racing