Fire at San Luis Rey!?

Re: Fire at San Luis Rey!?

Postby sweettalk » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am

i imagine they're worried that some bored <expletive> will look up the owners and/or trainers of every horse that died and start causing trouble. it's actually pretty scary that that's even something in the realm of possibility, that there are ppl that awful out there. i'd like to see a complete (as complete as it can be right now) list, but after this being mentioned, i'm willing to give wiggle room.
Get out to Lenny’s for their big grand opening sale. Find eight government secrets and get a free kidnapping and personality reassignment so that you’ll forget you found them!
sweettalk

Postby Somnambulist » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:52 am

Social media is going to be the death of this game... and so many other things. I cannot think of anything more awful than a bunch of old bitties with power and nothing better to do all day..
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Ziggypop » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:58 am

Somnambulist wrote:Social media is going to be the death of this game... and so many other things. I cannot think of anything more awful than a bunch of old bitties with power and nothing better to do all day..

No. The industry itself is it's own worst problem.
Ziggypop

Postby Somnambulist » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:30 am

Ziggypop wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:Social media is going to be the death of this game... and so many other things. I cannot think of anything more awful than a bunch of old bitties with power and nothing better to do all day..

Well I agree with that, but there are a lot of people on the internet who remind me frequently why the Electoral College should never go away. Most people do not have the intelligence to do research and routinely fall victim to sensationalist propaganda.

It's sad.

If racing has no desire to clean itself up (which it doesn't) then it deserves to die. I hope the industry cares more about itself than it seems to. I sometimes wonder if it exists in my old age should I be lucky enough to get there.
Somnambulist

Postby Ziggypop » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:35 am

Somnambulist wrote:
Ziggypop wrote:

Well I agree with that, but there are a lot of people on the internet who remind me frequently why the Electoral College should never go away. Most people do not have the intelligence to do research and routinely fall victim to sensationalist propaganda.

It's sad.

If racing has no desire to clean itself up (which it doesn't) then it deserves to die. I hope the industry cares more about itself than it seems to. I sometimes wonder if it exists in my old age should I be lucky enough to get there.

I stepped away from the industry for 30 years. I was completely taken aback how nothing bad been done to clean up even the most obvious problems. Appalling how horses are still suffering because of the lack of courage.
Ziggypop

Postby stark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:51 am

Ziggypop wrote: I was completely taken aback how nothing bad been done to clean up even the most obvious problems. Appalling how horses are still suffering because of the lack of courage.

Not sure what you're getting at.......is it like a Shamu/PETA.....Elephants/RinglingBros thing for you, shut'em down?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Somnambulist » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:04 pm

stark wrote:
Ziggypop wrote: I was completely taken aback how nothing bad been done to clean up even the most obvious problems. Appalling how horses are still suffering because of the lack of courage.

Not sure what you're getting at.......is it like a Shamu/PETA.....Elephants/RinglingBros thing for you, shut'em down?

I'm not sure what other path you think this industry is walking down.
Somnambulist

Postby stark » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:06 pm

RT @SDSheriff It's devastating to lose your home in a wildfire. Anxiety, flashbacks, lack of sleep and hypervigilance could develop into post-traumatic stress disorder. If you need to talk to someone, you can call the 24-hour County Crisis Hotline at (888) 724-7240 or call 2-1-1.

https://twitter.com/SanDiegoCounty/stat ... 5458250753
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:31 pm

Jeremy Balan‏Verified account @BH_JBalan
18m18 minutes ago
The Stronach Group's Tim Ritvo says there will be a memorial service for the San Luis Rey horses who died. It will be on opening day at Santa Anita Dec. 26. He said the names of horses lost will be included.

Shirley Ann Kimball
1 hr ·
12/14/17 - Missing SLR Training Center horses
Sadly it appears that all of the horses stabled at the Training Center have been accounted for. My sincere condolences to all who lost their horses. We sure got our hopes up yesterday. Thank you for all of your help and your prayers.
That being said, last night on the local news they said a special horse tracking team was going out today to search the riverbed. The best of success to them. There are a lot of private and public Stables in the burnt out and surrounding areas. If there are horses out there, I hope they find them.
http://www.cbs8.com/story/37053492/lilac-fire-search-for-six-horses-missing-since-fire
Sparrow Castle

Postby Sparrow Castle » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:54 pm

Los Al: SLR filly Scathing rallies to win 8th race
The 4-year-old filly Scathing won a starter allowance at five furlongs in Thursday's eighth race to become the first horse based at San Luis Rey Downs to start after the devastating wildfire that struck the training center in Bonsall, Calif., on Dec. 7.

Ridden by Santiago Gonzalez, Scatching ($10.60) rallied between horses to finish 1 1-4 lengths in front of Aiming Straight.

In order to be allowed to run, Scathing underwent a two-stage respiratory exam required this week for any horse based at San Luis Rey Downs at the time of the fire.

First, trainer Adam Kitchingman's attending veterinarian was required to sign a statement that said Scathing was fit to run and had undergone an exam that found "no evidence of respiratory inflammation."

Secondly, state veterinarians listened to the filly's breathing with a stethoscope as part of a typical pre-race examination to ensure she was fit to race earlier on Thursday.

The wildfire claimed the lives of 46 horses. Eight barns were destroyed by flames. Kitchingman said last weekend his stable was not severely affected by the fire and that some of his runners were evacuated to Del Mar before the fire reached the training center.

The pre-race procedure was welcomed by wining owner Cody Polansky, a 48-year-old plumbing contractor from Topanga Canyon.

"No one knew for sure, but we thought she was in good shape," Polansky said in the winner's circle. "She's been at Del Mar with no (negative) signs. If there was any sign (of a problem), we didn't want to run.

"Adam's barn was one of the concrete barns. They kept the horses relaxed."

http://live.drf.com/nuggets/39798-los-al-slr-filly-scathing-rallies-to-win-8th-race
Sparrow Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Racing