Fire at San Luis Rey!?

Ballerina

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:22 pm

or any entity of your choosing.
Ziggypop

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:39 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The loss of life from the boarding facility in Sylmar and at San Luis Rey are both horrible, but the tragedy at SLR feels more personal to me.
I watched horses like California Diamond and Riri race. I had great hopes for the handsome Scat Daddy colt, Puig. So many futures...gone.
And if we ever get to see a full list of names, I fear that we will see more horses that we saw on the track, or followed because of their breeding or connections.
I saw a bit on TVG earlier about a pony rider nicknamed 'Cowboy,' who is in the hospital with some serious injuries he got trying to save horses. He lost his own pony, which must hurt more than his broken ribs. :(
I agree with something that was posted earlier in this thread; the people who went through this fire are going to need counseling as much as material support. Anyone who watched their horses die in front of them, or who was injured while trying to save them, could easily end up with PTSD.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Their grief must be immense.
Afrashad

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:07 pm

Sean Feld
@Seaneff
People have been asking for what to donate and it looks like what is needed most is groceries and gas money for the workers who live near SLR and now have to drive back and forth to Del Mar which about 30 miles each way depending on route which is a big added expense.

Mailing address:
Bob Feld
2683 Via de la Valle G-101
Del Mar, CA 92014

If anyone wants to drop a gift card in the mail or order one online, the Felds are taking donations and distributing them out.
Sparrow Castle

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Amen, Bal.

Letters to the Editor: Twice a Survivor
On the night of Dec. 18, 2016, an unusually timed lightning storm tragically hit a training barn at Eric Reed’s Mercury Training Center in Lexington. Twenty-three horses, many of them Eric’s, were killed in a swiftly intense barn fire. Grooms were burned in a heroic effort to pull the horses from their stalls as the stalls and the actual horses themselves were literally on fire. Rustin Kretz lost over half of his foal crop that night. Rustin named one of the survivors, Fuega (Union Rags), the feminine version of Fire in Spanish.

After a brief recovery at Mulholland Springs, where she was originally foaled, Fuega was sent to San Luis Rey, to the care of Dan Dunham. On Dec. 7th, 2017, nearly exactly 12 months later, some incredibly brave people again risked their lives to set Fuega and 100’s other horses free from their stalls to run for their lives from burning barns. Grooms and trainers were seriously injured. At least 25 horses were killed. Yesterday and today, trainers and owners continue to frantically search for their horses. Blessedly this morning Rustin Kretz was able to identify Fuega in a field across from San Luis Rey, where she was generously taken in during the chaos. She is singed but appears to be fine. Fuega is a true survivor from an incredible chain of events. What are the odds of this happening twice? Fuega must be destined to be special.
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/le ... a-survivor
Treve

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:27 am

Sparrow Castle wrote: Letters to the Editor: Twice a Survivor
On the night of Dec. 18, 2016, an unusually timed lightning storm tragically hit a training barn at Eric Reed’s Mercury Training Center in Lexington. Twenty-three horses, many of them Eric’s, were killed in a swiftly intense barn fire. Grooms were burned in a heroic effort to pull the horses from their stalls as the stalls and the actual horses themselves were literally on fire. Rustin Kretz lost over half of his foal crop that night. Rustin named one of the survivors, Fuega (Union Rags), the feminine version of Fire in Spanish.

After a brief recovery at Mulholland Springs, where she was originally foaled, Fuega was sent to San Luis Rey, to the care of Dan Dunham. On Dec. 7th, 2017, nearly exactly 12 months later, some incredibly brave people again risked their lives to set Fuega and 100’s other horses free from their stalls to run for their lives from burning barns. Grooms and trainers were seriously injured. At least 25 horses were killed. Yesterday and today, trainers and owners continue to frantically search for their horses. Blessedly this morning Rustin Kretz was able to identify Fuega in a field across from San Luis Rey, where she was generously taken in during the chaos. She is singed but appears to be fine. Fuega is a true survivor from an incredible chain of events. What are the odds of this happening twice? Fuega must be destined to be special.
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/le ... a-survivor
That filly is born some very clement stars. I'm so glad to hear she made it out the second time - I cannot imagine the heartbreak of her surviving one fire only to perish in another.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:30 pm

When all the relief efforts reach their goals, and the racing community has returned to a semblance of normal, I'd love to see a memorial created to honor the 46 horses who were lost.
Perhaps Del Mar could place a simple granite obelisk in its infield, engraved with the names of all the horses.
Something like;
CALIFORNIA DIAMOND * Harbor the Gold – Carrie's a Jewel * 3YO Colt
...and 45 more names.
So many gone, but maybe we could find a way to remember the tragedy and honor them for all the years to come?
stark

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:53 pm

Santa Anita or Del Mar could have an annual race called The Memorial.

Not to be confused with the Wood Memorial where most fans don't recall Eugene Wood, the turn of the prior century politician.
http://www.albanylaw.edu/media/user/glc ... g/wood.pdf

Nor should it be confused with The Memorial in golf, although it is a tad confusing that Jack Nicklaus is still alive?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Tournament

Racing's The Memorial could honor all those who have died in the past year, including the 46 in the San Luis Rey fire. Ideally a portion of the purse money could be set aside for suitable "gofundme's" or other specific charities, at least it will be a way to keep the memory alive for many years to come.

The LA TIMES John Cherwa via horse owner Nick Palermino mentioned writing a race for the survivors in his e-newsletter this morning.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-s ... d-81971101
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
sweettalk

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:04 pm

are there any horses still missing that are not confirmed to have perished?
Afrashad

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:14 pm

sweettalk wrote:are there any horses still missing that are not confirmed to have perished?
Jeremy Balan
@BH_JBalan
Packin Heat and Sir Charmalot are still unaccounted for as of this morning, according to trainer Dan Dunham.

They still haven't been found.
Starine

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:48 pm

For fast-acting Miller stable, fire could have been far more tragic
http://www.drf.com/news/fast-acting-mil ... ore-tragic
Sparrow Castle

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:23 pm

"The only horse who could not be saved was the multiple stakes winner California Diamond." Somehow it feels worse to read that Steve Andersen article.

Jeremy Balan‏Verified account @BH_JBalan
53m53 minutes ago
Another horse who was based at San Luis Rey has died of colic at a local clinic, according to CHRB spokesman Mike Marten. It’s unclear whether it was related directly to the fire, but the number of equine deaths is now at 47.

50m50 minutes ago
Important note to all those looking for horses still thought to be lost. CHRB equine medical director Rick Arthur says all horses have been accounted for. I’m working to confirm what that means for the horses who were thought to be still missing.

19m19 minutes ago
Hard to put this into words, but this likely means those missing are among the dead. There are reasons why some of the dead haven’t been identified. Because of their condition, some may never be 100% ID’d.

And, if you've got the stomach for it, two more articles.

Casandra Branick One of Many Heroes
http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-ra ... eroes.aspx

Hovdey: Brave tales from the fog of inferno
http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-brave-tales-fog-inferno
Sparrow Castle

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:30 pm

Sean Feld‏ @Seaneff
14m14 minutes ago
Everyone feel free to call the Postal Annex and give them a piece of your mind. The owner has asked everyone to stop sending stuff to our box there. (858) 350-4930

Steve Byk‏ @Steve_Byk
2h2 hours ago
Here’s a SLR relief status update from @santaanitapark..
Sparrow Castle

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:37 pm

34s34 seconds ago
CHRB equine medical director Rick Arthur says 39-40 of the horses dead on the grounds at San Luis Rey have been identified. That leaves 6-7 that may not be official ID’d because of condition. Arthur also said one horse is still in critical condition from fire.
Sparrow Castle

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:43 pm

43s43 seconds ago
Arthur: “Some are hopeful their horses are still running around in the hills. We don’t think that’s likely.”
He voiced this conclusion based on the number of unidentified dead, which is more than the number of horses considered missing.

Coolmore‏Verified account @coolmorestud
4m4 minutes ago
After a flurry of bidding @TomRyanKY has taken the lead at $90,000 on behalf of SF Bloodstock. Even more exciting is that the season is intended for California Chrome's dam Love the Chase!
Thanks to all those people that have bid so far!
Coolmore‏Verified account @coolmorestud
We are happy to report that this ad in tomorrow's @theTDN is already out of date! Gary Barber now has the highest bid of $85,000
stark

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:51 am

julie krone‏
@eyelovehorses

Please if you are Spanish speaking and Psychiatrist or Psychologist please come to Delmar and talk with the racetrack grooms . Lots of nightmares and people still shaking . Help needed from healers too.

https://twitter.com/eyelovehorses/statu ... 8274409472
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Catalina

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:09 pm

stark wrote:julie krone‏
@eyelovehorses

Please if you are Spanish speaking and Psychiatrist or Psychologist please come to Delmar and talk with the racetrack grooms . Lots of nightmares and people still shaking . Help needed from healers too.

https://twitter.com/eyelovehorses/statu ... 8274409472
Thank you for sharing that, Stark!
Sparrow Castle

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:43 pm

steve gordon‏ @mylyingeyes99
Replying to @BH_JBalan
At some point will an official list be put out with the names of all the horses that died?

50m50 minutes ago
A lot of people are asking this. I have a list of sorts from my own reporting, but it’s certainly not complete. I have asked for a complete list from the CHRB. As a public entity, if 39-40 have been identified, it should be available.

Post-Fire Situation Settles at Del Mar
http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/po ... at-del-mar

Jay Hovdey‏ @JayHovdey
1h1 hour ago
Seth Miller, age 3, lends father Pete moral support as their San Luis Rey stable regroups at Del Mar.

She really is a little filly.

Sean Feld‏ @Seaneff
1h1 hour ago
International Diva jogged today for the first time since being found and moved to Del Mar. @TheClubLLC @Goresbridge2yos
Sparrow Castle

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:46 pm

Amazing! They really focused on the priorities.

Trifecta Equine Center Hits Big Helping Rescue Horses
When the Dec. 7 fire broke out that would devastate San Luis Rey Downs near Bonsall, Calif., veterinarians Nick Huggons and Korin Potenza faced a dilemma. They had to evacuate their own San Luis Rey Equine Hospital. But they also realized the danger to the hundreds of horses at San Luis Rey Downs, which sits kitty-corner to Trifecta Equine Athletic Center, a rehabilitation center they operate.

Fortunately for many of the San Luis Rey equine victims, Huggons, Potenza, and their staff jumped in to lead racehorses that heroic grooms had freed from the burning barns to the relative safety of Trifecta. They ended up with more than 100 evacuated horses on their property and immediately began triaging injuries that surely saved lives.

With halters and shanks in short supply, the rescuers used whatever they had available, including belts, shirts, baling wire, and cotton leg wraps. The frightened horses instinctively seemed to realize that these people were there to help.

"They were so docile and easy to lead across the street," said Potenza.

"They were happy to follow somebody and get out of the situation," added Huggons.
More: https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... cue-horses
Sparrow Castle

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Got to hand it to Jeremy, he's persistent. If he's not successful, it won't be from lack of trying. Likely a number of yearlings were there just starting their lessons, might complicate matters.

1h1 hour ago
Here is the CHRB’s response to my request for the official list of horses identified as deceased from the San Luis Rey fire.
sweettalk

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:08 am

why do i feel like the CHRB is dragging its feet for no reason? they sat on the confirmed deaths numbers for a bit, too. i'm obviously not part of the CHRB, so it's possible there are reasons that i just don't know about, for that reason.