Fire at San Luis Rey!?

Re: Fire at San Luis Rey!?

Postby Ballerina » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:22 pm

or any entity of your choosing.
Ballerina

Postby Ziggypop » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:39 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The loss of life from the boarding facility in Sylmar and at San Luis Rey are both horrible, but the tragedy at SLR feels more personal to me.
I watched horses like California Diamond and Riri race. I had great hopes for the handsome Scat Daddy colt, Puig. So many futures...gone.
And if we ever get to see a full list of names, I fear that we will see more horses that we saw on the track, or followed because of their breeding or connections.
I saw a bit on TVG earlier about a pony rider nicknamed 'Cowboy,' who is in the hospital with some serious injuries he got trying to save horses. He lost his own pony, which must hurt more than his broken ribs. :(
I agree with something that was posted earlier in this thread; the people who went through this fire are going to need counseling as much as material support. Anyone who watched their horses die in front of them, or who was injured while trying to save them, could easily end up with PTSD.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Their grief must be immense.
Ziggypop

Postby Afrashad » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:07 pm

Sean Feld
@Seaneff
People have been asking for what to donate and it looks like what is needed most is groceries and gas money for the workers who live near SLR and now have to drive back and forth to Del Mar which about 30 miles each way depending on route which is a big added expense.

Mailing address:
Bob Feld
2683 Via de la Valle G-101
Del Mar, CA 92014

If anyone wants to drop a gift card in the mail or order one online, the Felds are taking donations and distributing them out.
Afrashad

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Amen, Bal.

Letters to the Editor: Twice a Survivor
On the night of Dec. 18, 2016, an unusually timed lightning storm tragically hit a training barn at Eric Reed’s Mercury Training Center in Lexington. Twenty-three horses, many of them Eric’s, were killed in a swiftly intense barn fire. Grooms were burned in a heroic effort to pull the horses from their stalls as the stalls and the actual horses themselves were literally on fire. Rustin Kretz lost over half of his foal crop that night. Rustin named one of the survivors, Fuega (Union Rags), the feminine version of Fire in Spanish.

After a brief recovery at Mulholland Springs, where she was originally foaled, Fuega was sent to San Luis Rey, to the care of Dan Dunham. On Dec. 7th, 2017, nearly exactly 12 months later, some incredibly brave people again risked their lives to set Fuega and 100’s other horses free from their stalls to run for their lives from burning barns. Grooms and trainers were seriously injured. At least 25 horses were killed. Yesterday and today, trainers and owners continue to frantically search for their horses. Blessedly this morning Rustin Kretz was able to identify Fuega in a field across from San Luis Rey, where she was generously taken in during the chaos. She is singed but appears to be fine. Fuega is a true survivor from an incredible chain of events. What are the odds of this happening twice? Fuega must be destined to be special.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/letters-to-the-editor-twice-a-survivor
Sparrow Castle

Postby Treve » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:27 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:Letters to the Editor: Twice a Survivor
On the night of Dec. 18, 2016, an unusually timed lightning storm tragically hit a training barn at Eric Reed’s Mercury Training Center in Lexington. Twenty-three horses, many of them Eric’s, were killed in a swiftly intense barn fire. Grooms were burned in a heroic effort to pull the horses from their stalls as the stalls and the actual horses themselves were literally on fire. Rustin Kretz lost over half of his foal crop that night. Rustin named one of the survivors, Fuega (Union Rags), the feminine version of Fire in Spanish.

After a brief recovery at Mulholland Springs, where she was originally foaled, Fuega was sent to San Luis Rey, to the care of Dan Dunham. On Dec. 7th, 2017, nearly exactly 12 months later, some incredibly brave people again risked their lives to set Fuega and 100’s other horses free from their stalls to run for their lives from burning barns. Grooms and trainers were seriously injured. At least 25 horses were killed. Yesterday and today, trainers and owners continue to frantically search for their horses. Blessedly this morning Rustin Kretz was able to identify Fuega in a field across from San Luis Rey, where she was generously taken in during the chaos. She is singed but appears to be fine. Fuega is a true survivor from an incredible chain of events. What are the odds of this happening twice? Fuega must be destined to be special.

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/letters-to-the-editor-twice-a-survivor

That filly is born some very clement stars. I'm so glad to hear she made it out the second time - I cannot imagine the heartbreak of her surviving one fire only to perish in another.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:30 pm

When all the relief efforts reach their goals, and the racing community has returned to a semblance of normal, I'd love to see a memorial created to honor the 46 horses who were lost.
Perhaps Del Mar could place a simple granite obelisk in its infield, engraved with the names of all the horses.
Something like;
CALIFORNIA DIAMOND * Harbor the Gold – Carrie's a Jewel * 3YO Colt
...and 45 more names.
So many gone, but maybe we could find a way to remember the tragedy and honor them for all the years to come?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby stark » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:53 pm

Santa Anita or Del Mar could have an annual race called The Memorial.

Not to be confused with the Wood Memorial where most fans don't recall Eugene Wood, the turn of the prior century politician.
http://www.albanylaw.edu/media/user/glc ... g/wood.pdf

Nor should it be confused with The Memorial in golf, although it is a tad confusing that Jack Nicklaus is still alive?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Tournament

Racing's The Memorial could honor all those who have died in the past year, including the 46 in the San Luis Rey fire. Ideally a portion of the purse money could be set aside for suitable "gofundme's" or other specific charities, at least it will be a way to keep the memory alive for many years to come.

The LA TIMES John Cherwa via horse owner Nick Palermino mentioned writing a race for the survivors in his e-newsletter this morning.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-s ... d-81971101
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby sweettalk » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:04 pm

are there any horses still missing that are not confirmed to have perished?
Get out to Lenny’s for their big grand opening sale. Find eight government secrets and get a free kidnapping and personality reassignment so that you’ll forget you found them!
sweettalk

Postby Afrashad » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:14 pm

sweettalk wrote:are there any horses still missing that are not confirmed to have perished?

Jeremy Balan
@BH_JBalan
Packin Heat and Sir Charmalot are still unaccounted for as of this morning, according to trainer Dan Dunham.

They still haven't been found.
Afrashad

Postby Starine » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:48 pm

For fast-acting Miller stable, fire could have been far more tragic
http://www.drf.com/news/fast-acting-mil ... ore-tragic
Starine

PreviousNext

Return to Racing