Pegasus World Cup Invitational - 1/27/18

stark

Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:54 pm

Joel Rosario now confirmed to ride Stellar Wind in Pegasus per Chad Brown.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Starine

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:09 pm

Stellar Wind, Other Pegasus Contenders Undergo Final Works On Saturday
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/pega ... -saturday/

Sounds like a lot of them are training well; among them Sharp Azteca looks extremely sharp.

Toast of New York Arrives at Gulfstream for Pegasus
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... or-pegasus
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:41 pm

I was checking TVG's schedule for next Saturday and it sort of looks like the racing channel may NOT be showing the Pegasus. There's a slot for the Turf Sprint from Gulfstream, but then the description of the programming after 1 PM switches to Santa Anita. No 'Pegasus' listed.
That may be because network NBC is showing the race, with a slot from 1:30 - 3 PM Pacific. I've noticed that NBC tends to be a bit territorial when it comes to its sports events, so there's a good chance that it has insisted on exclusive rights to the race.
That's too bad for TVG, which has devoted hours to promoting this race, and is going to have a "Works" show early next week. But...good for regular folks, who will have an hour-and-a-half to see horse racing on the big, network stage. ;)
Starine

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:47 pm

After moving and going back to school, I have become "regular folk" again (i.e. without TVG) so I'm grateful for NBC's coverage. ;)
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:09 pm

I was without TVG for years, so I do appreciate how lucky I am to have the ability to see SO MUCH live racing.
Maybe I should have said "racing-channel-challenged folks" instead of "regular?" ;) :lol:
stark

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:37 am

When is the post position draw?
Seems like that's the only suspense.....who will get the dreaded outside stall?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Ballerina

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:55 pm

stark wrote:When is the post position draw?
Seems like that's the only suspense.....who will get the dreaded outside stall?
Most likely Wednesday.
Ballerina

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:16 pm

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... s_race_123#

Story lines of 8 horses that will be in the Pegasus - one more slot to fill to round out the field of 12.
Ballerina

Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:11 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I was without TVG for years, so I do appreciate how lucky I am to have the ability to see SO MUCH live racing.
Maybe I should have said "racing-channel-challenged folks" instead of "regular?" ;) :lol:
According to the Pegasus web-site, the race will be televised on NBCSN - not on the national NBC channel.

https://www.pegasusworldcup.com/
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:28 pm

Really? :?
My DirecTV schedule, which is very reliable, still has the Pegasus coverage from 1:30 - 3 PM on regular NBC (Ch. 4 for the LA area), while NBCSN has Track & Field.
Treve

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:07 pm

stark wrote:Joel Rosario now confirmed to ride Stellar Wind in Pegasus per Chad Brown.
This is an interesting decision.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:30 pm

I know that Victor Espinoza has long been her regular rider and they have certainly had success as a team. Apparently she has her quirks, which Victor knows how to handle.
Does Coolmore have a reason to change to Joel, and not use Victor? IMHO, legging up a new jock on a not-push-button mare for a $16 million race seems like a weird decision. :?
Sparrow Castle

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:37 pm

Jay Privman @DRFPrivman
5m5 minutes ago
Discussion on whether to extend run-up distance for @PegasusWorldCup taking place at @GulfstreamPark, per Tim Ritvo. Said whatever is decided (yes/no) will be done before draw on Wednesday. There's a short run to first turn going 1 1/8m at GP, and with 12 horses...
katmandu

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:23 pm

That's very interesting. . . Watchmaker had an editorial on DRF about a race of this magnitude being so heavily biased by post position. And it contained a lot of quotes from last year, too. . .

If Sharp Azteca gets beat by a head, I'll be howling. :lol:
Treve

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:34 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I know that Victor Espinoza has long been her regular rider and they have certainly had success as a team. Apparently she has her quirks, which Victor knows how to handle.
Does Coolmore have a reason to change to Joel, and not use Victor? IMHO, legging up a new jock on a not-push-button mare for a $16 million race seems like a weird decision. :?
I'm guessing it's Chad's decision more than Coolmore's. Guess we will have to see if it pays off...
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Curtis

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:33 pm

Treve wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I know that Victor Espinoza has long been her regular rider and they have certainly had success as a team. Apparently she has her quirks, which Victor knows how to handle.
I'm guessing it's Chad's decision more than Coolmore's. Guess we will have to see if it pays off...
Well, I see it this way. All horses, as do humans, have their quirks. Stellar Wind's biggest quirk, observing from the ground, is that she needs to be ridden pretty much throughout the race and I think most anyone who has competed against her knows that. Say what you may about Sadler, but he's a pretty nice guy, so if Chad Brown called him, I imagine Sadler would fill him in on any idiosyncrasies she may have. On her best day--which was probably almost a year and a half ago--Stellar Wind would probably split the field, maybe pick up a minor piece of the purse. Joel Rosario has some quirks himself but on his best day he's as strong a finisher as you'd want and they may need to do something different, besides dancing with who brung her, for Stellar Wind to have a shot at a bigger piece. This is a one off deal and she'll be bred as soon as possible after the race. As long as she comes back sound and able to be bred, I think it's worth a gamble. Granted, I don't see her any better than fourth if she runs the race of her life.
Treve

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:46 pm

Curtis wrote:
Treve wrote:
Well, I see it this way. All horses, as do humans, have their quirks. Stellar Wind's biggest quirk, observing from the ground, is that she needs to be ridden pretty much throughout the race and I think most anyone who has competed against her knows that. Say what you may about Sadler, but he's a pretty nice guy, so if Chad Brown called him, I imagine Sadler would fill him in on any idiosyncrasies she may have. On her best day--which was probably almost a year and a half ago--Stellar Wind would probably split the field, maybe pick up a minor piece of the purse. Joel Rosario has some quirks himself but on his best day he's as strong a finisher as you'd want and they may need to do something different, besides dancing with who brung her, for Stellar Wind to have a shot at a bigger piece. This is a one off deal and she'll be bred as soon as possible after the race. As long as she comes back sound and able to be bred, I think it's worth a gamble. Granted, I don't see her any better than fourth if she runs the race of her life.
Yes, I'm aware of that re: Stellar Wind's biggest quirk and I know that Joel is a patient rider and a strong finisher, he accordingly tends to do best on Closers. So I was trying to fit the pieces in my mind, as I don't think of Stellar Wind as a closer per se and there might have been better options but I am not in Chad's head and so I'm not entirely sure what his reasoning actually is. I am thinking she might run further back than usual given the pure speed types entered in the race, which might work well to pick up a piece with Joel in the irons.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Ballerina

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:24 am

Post position draw 11:00 a.m. EST on TVG 1 & 2.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:35 am

I'll be rooting for Toasty. I know he has zero chance to win it, but he's my sentimental pick. :lol: