Pegasus World Cup Invitational - 1/27/18

Re: Pegasus World Cup Invitational - 1/27/18

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:28 pm

Really? :?
My DirecTV schedule, which is very reliable, still has the Pegasus coverage from 1:30 - 3 PM on regular NBC (Ch. 4 for the LA area), while NBCSN has Track & Field.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Treve » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:07 pm

stark wrote:Joel Rosario now confirmed to ride Stellar Wind in Pegasus per Chad Brown.

This is an interesting decision.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:30 pm

I know that Victor Espinoza has long been her regular rider and they have certainly had success as a team. Apparently she has her quirks, which Victor knows how to handle.
Does Coolmore have a reason to change to Joel, and not use Victor? IMHO, legging up a new jock on a not-push-button mare for a $16 million race seems like a weird decision. :?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Sparrow Castle » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:37 pm

Jay Privman @DRFPrivman
5m5 minutes ago
Discussion on whether to extend run-up distance for @PegasusWorldCup taking place at @GulfstreamPark, per Tim Ritvo. Said whatever is decided (yes/no) will be done before draw on Wednesday. There's a short run to first turn going 1 1/8m at GP, and with 12 horses...
Sparrow Castle

Postby katmandu » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:23 pm

That's very interesting. . . Watchmaker had an editorial on DRF about a race of this magnitude being so heavily biased by post position. And it contained a lot of quotes from last year, too. . .

If Sharp Azteca gets beat by a head, I'll be howling. :lol:
katmandu

Postby Treve » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:34 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I know that Victor Espinoza has long been her regular rider and they have certainly had success as a team. Apparently she has her quirks, which Victor knows how to handle.
Does Coolmore have a reason to change to Joel, and not use Victor? IMHO, legging up a new jock on a not-push-button mare for a $16 million race seems like a weird decision. :?

I'm guessing it's Chad's decision more than Coolmore's. Guess we will have to see if it pays off...
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Treve

Postby Curtis » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:33 pm

Treve wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I know that Victor Espinoza has long been her regular rider and they have certainly had success as a team. Apparently she has her quirks, which Victor knows how to handle.

I'm guessing it's Chad's decision more than Coolmore's. Guess we will have to see if it pays off...

Well, I see it this way. All horses, as do humans, have their quirks. Stellar Wind's biggest quirk, observing from the ground, is that she needs to be ridden pretty much throughout the race and I think most anyone who has competed against her knows that. Say what you may about Sadler, but he's a pretty nice guy, so if Chad Brown called him, I imagine Sadler would fill him in on any idiosyncrasies she may have. On her best day--which was probably almost a year and a half ago--Stellar Wind would probably split the field, maybe pick up a minor piece of the purse. Joel Rosario has some quirks himself but on his best day he's as strong a finisher as you'd want and they may need to do something different, besides dancing with who brung her, for Stellar Wind to have a shot at a bigger piece. This is a one off deal and she'll be bred as soon as possible after the race. As long as she comes back sound and able to be bred, I think it's worth a gamble. Granted, I don't see her any better than fourth if she runs the race of her life.
Curtis

Postby Treve » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:46 pm

Curtis wrote:
Treve wrote:

Well, I see it this way. All horses, as do humans, have their quirks. Stellar Wind's biggest quirk, observing from the ground, is that she needs to be ridden pretty much throughout the race and I think most anyone who has competed against her knows that. Say what you may about Sadler, but he's a pretty nice guy, so if Chad Brown called him, I imagine Sadler would fill him in on any idiosyncrasies she may have. On her best day--which was probably almost a year and a half ago--Stellar Wind would probably split the field, maybe pick up a minor piece of the purse. Joel Rosario has some quirks himself but on his best day he's as strong a finisher as you'd want and they may need to do something different, besides dancing with who brung her, for Stellar Wind to have a shot at a bigger piece. This is a one off deal and she'll be bred as soon as possible after the race. As long as she comes back sound and able to be bred, I think it's worth a gamble. Granted, I don't see her any better than fourth if she runs the race of her life.

Yes, I'm aware of that re: Stellar Wind's biggest quirk and I know that Joel is a patient rider and a strong finisher, he accordingly tends to do best on Closers. So I was trying to fit the pieces in my mind, as I don't think of Stellar Wind as a closer per se and there might have been better options but I am not in Chad's head and so I'm not entirely sure what his reasoning actually is. I am thinking she might run further back than usual given the pure speed types entered in the race, which might work well to pick up a piece with Joel in the irons.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Treve

Postby Ballerina » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:24 am

Post position draw 11:00 a.m. EST on TVG 1 & 2.
Ballerina

Postby Kurenai » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:35 am

I'll be rooting for Toasty. I know he has zero chance to win it, but he's my sentimental pick. :lol:
Kurenai

PreviousNext

Return to Racing