Hollywood Derby Saturday Nov. 25 Del Mar

Hollywood Derby Saturday Nov. 25 Del Mar

Postby Ballerina » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:14 pm

TB Race of special interest to me today. Son of First Samurai (on my list of dozen favorite horses) is running in the Grade I $300K Hollywood Derby at Del Mar - race goes off at 3:30 California time. His name is Sharp Samurai- raced 8 times so far this year and won 6 of those races. Too bad he's a gelding. He already has 2 Grade II wins and a Grade III win. He's now going for that Grade I. Nice horse. Hope he wins.

http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/DM ... 7-EQB.html
Ballerina

Re: Hollywood Derby Saturday Nov. 25 Del Mar

Postby stark » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:43 pm

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Ballerina » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:58 pm

He came in 4th, but there was only 1 length distance between him and the winner. It was a real dog fight down the stretch with a photo to determine 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. No matter, I still like him. He's only 3 - he'll improve.

Mo Town
Channel Marker
Big Score
Sharp Samurai

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pd ... 17USA7.pdf
Ballerina

Postby Ballerina » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:39 pm

His pick came in next to last.
Ballerina

Postby stark » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:48 pm

Ballerina wrote:

His pick came in next to last.

Picking "contest horses" is not for the faint of heart as you simply can't win by picking the favourites.
I'm confident he'd rather lose at 10/1 than come in 4th at 7/5.
Winsome/Losesome, that's the nature of the game.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Ballerina » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:33 pm

stark wrote:Picking "contest horses" is not for the faint of heart as you simply can't win by picking the favourites.

I didn't pick this horse because he was the favorite. I picked him because I liked him and his sire. You're right - a straight up win bet on the favorite most likely won't pay much or pay anything, but an exotic wager using a favorite almost always pays off. Besides I'd rather lose using my own choices than listing to someone else's opinions. Even the best handicappers are lucky if they're right 1/3 of the time.
Ballerina

Postby Curtis » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:58 pm

Ballerina wrote:
stark wrote:Picking "contest horses" is not for the faint of heart as you simply can't win by picking the favourites.

I didn't pick this horse because he was the favorite. I picked him because I liked him and his sire. You're right - a straight up win bet on the favorite most likely won't pay much or pay anything, but an exotic wager using a favorite almost always pays off. Besides I'd rather lose using my own choices than listing to someone else's opinions. Even the best handicappers are lucky if they're right 1/3 of the time.

Did you have him back keyed in the Super? I’m thinking the favorite and the contest horse pretty much paid the same thing.
Curtis

Postby Ballerina » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:07 pm

Curtis wrote:Did you have him back keyed in the Super? I’m thinking the favorite and the contest horse pretty much paid the same thing.

I didn't say I bet him - I said I picked him. Wasn't able to get to our local OTB yesterday - bad back, and I don't/won't have an on-line betting account. But I would have used him in a tri with Mo Town and Channel Marker. Saved myself some money - coming close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.
Ballerina

Return to Racing