Feud between DRF & CDI goes to next level

Feud between DRF & CDI goes to next level

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:01 pm

Churchill Downs Bans Daily Racing Form On-Track Sales; Launches Rival Product
Management of Churchill Downs and Daily Racing Form – two iconic racing institutions that date back to the 1800s – apparently will not be sitting down together for a Thanksgiving Dinner.
The two parties have been feuding in recent months, culminating with Churchill Downs opting to ban on-track sales of the daily racing newspaper founded in 1894. In conjunction with that decision, Churchill Downs has developed its own print product, the Churchill Downs Betting Guide, which includes past performances, news and analysis from Brisnet.com, a racing data company also owned by Churchill Downs Inc. (CDI), parent company of the Louisville racetrack founded in 1875. Brisnet.com publishes an array of on-line handicapping products.
The on-track sales ban extends to CDI-owned Fair Grounds in New Orleans and the company's off-track betting sites. CDI is also producing a Fair Grounds Betting Guide. According to John Asher, vice president of racing communications for Churchill Downs, the CDI-produced print products include past performances for six or seven tracks being simulcast and cost $5 – half the price of the Daily Racing Form, which sells for $10 on-track and $11 off-track for most editions. Asher said the company is currently producing two editions – the second containing past performances for night-time or smaller tracks.
“We felt we were pushed in this direction by Daily Racing Form when they started to charge significant fees to have Churchill Downs information included in their editions,” said Asher, indicating Form management notified CDI in March that the company would have to pay to be included in past performances sections of editions outside of the Midwest.
As a result, Churchill Downs past performances have not been included in many regional editions of Daily Racing Form, even on big cards like the night of the Stephen Foster Handicap in June or tomorrow's Clark Handicap.

Read more: https://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray- ... l-product/

It seems to me that DRF brought this on themselves. Did the company think that CDI, which has its own significant resources, was going to just go along with the increased charges? :roll:
These are two entities with a long history...and CDI can be quite stubborn about protecting its interests.
BaroqueAgain1

Re: Feud between DRF & CDI goes to next level

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:10 am

Does this feud include Daily Racing Program, the DRF product with PPs for up to 15 tracks and no editorial content? I assume more than seven tracks are being simulcast at Churchill and Fair Grounds, and access to PPs for all of them would be appreciated by the customers. Do they now have to buy the "Program" at some off-track location, if they can find one?
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby Ballerina » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:46 pm

CD is the last place to accuse anyone/anything of being greedy.
Ballerina

Postby Rick1323 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:15 pm

The sole reason I dislike the Derby is because it is owned by Churchill. Were it not for that single race, they would not be able to splinter the industry as they are prone to do......
Everyone come home sound.....
Rick1323

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:16 pm

I've also noticed that Churchill races have been relegated to TVG2 recently, even on days on which there isn't much early-afternoon competition. Today, Aqueduct, Laurel, Gulfstream West and FINGER LAKES are on the main network. Punishment for Churchill from TVG, ignoring viewer inconvenience?
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:48 pm

Churchill, along with all the CDI-owned tracks, has always been absent from TVG, or at least for many years. That is CDI's choice. Betfair has not yet been able to get them to allow the CDI signals to be broadcast by TVG, although I can only hope that negotiations continue behind the scenes.
The only reason you get to see Churchill and the others on TVG2 is because TVG2 used to be HRTV, and HRTV had a contract to carry all the CDI tracks. I don't know how long that contract will last, and it's very possible that they'll all go away as soon as it ends.
I didn't mean to make it sound like DRF was the Bad Guy and CDI the Victim. CDI is anything but.
IMHO it is the classic Dog-In-the-Manger. It doesn't have a nationally-available TV channel like TVG, but it won't allow its races to be broadcast on a channel that could show its races to millions of fans.
Another take on this issue:
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... fth-grade/
BaroqueAgain1

Postby blamethewinner » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:39 pm

DRF is a company that has been on the verge of bankruptcy multiple times, while CDI stock has skyrocketed in the last 10 years. DRF runs a terrible business that will require a massive overhaul by its new owners.

CD did not want to be held hostage by DRF for a sizable payment that would keep it in the prime editions of the print form. They, understandably, told DRF to pound sand. Remember, CD owns Brisnet and can distribute that very easily. So they took that approach. Neither side will blink here, and there will not be a winner. The customer will lose.
blamethewinner

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:50 pm

^This.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby stark » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:53 am

Curious how many on-track fans are upset by this and not happy with the replacement offer of Brisnet PPs?

Maybe 100?

Probably more internet bloggers than those actually hurt by the decision. Paulick, AndyAsaro, HANA et al just like to stir the negative pot.

Much ado about not too much.

Are there folks out there who still by the hard copy DRF for the articles and find it hard to locate?

Just curious if you or anybody you know are actually hurt by this decision and not having BeyerSpeedFigures to look at?

If the offer was to only sell Thorograph or Ragozin Sheets at $25 a pop, as good as they are in their own right, that would indeed cause a problem for the general population. But ain't nothin wrong with Brisnet's product and their speed figures by comparison.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Rick1323 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:54 am

I don't go in for a day of simulcasting degeneracy that often anymore, but when I do, Churchill won't be in the form. That doesn't hurt me, but it does hurt Churchill.

We have had competing forms in the past and it didn't work out well for anyone. Superior products have lost in the past to the DRF. I suspect they will this time too. This is not a progressive fan base.....
Everyone come home sound.....
Rick1323

Return to Racing