Breeders’ Cup News & Notes- 2018

Treve

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:05 pm

Glad they came to their senses. I understand the need for innovation, but a little common sense won't hurt when considering new ideas.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
PJMIII

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:26 am

Breeders' Cup, NBC Set Challenge Series TV Schedule

Eleven live programs will feature 20 qualifying races from seven tracks.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... v-schedule
PJMIII

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:28 am

Breeders’ Cup releases 2018 ‘Win & You’re In’ Challenge series

The Breeders’ Cup unveiled the schedule of races that make up its 2018 “Win & You’re In” Challenge series on Wednesday.

The winners of 82 races will automatically qualify for a spot in the starting gate of a corresponding Breeders’ Cup race. There are 66 Grade/Group 1 contests on the schedule, and 49 of the events will be held in North America.

http://www.brisnet.com/content/2018/04/ ... ge-series/
PJMIII

Thu May 03, 2018 9:05 am

Sinfonía Fantástica Earns BC Distaff Berth in Argentina

A quality filly over turf, Sinfonía Fantástica ran her best race on dirt to take the Gran Premio Criadores (G1) at Hipódromo Argentino de Palermo May 1.

Under jockey Juan Carlos Noriega, she earned an automatic berth into the Longines Breeders' Cup Distaff (G1) with a three-length victory.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -argentina
BaroqueAgain1

Thu May 10, 2018 9:35 pm

The BC is shuffling the races around for their two-day meet. On Friday it will be all juveniles, while the Distaff and Dirt Mile get moved to Saturday. IIRC, they had tried making Friday a sort of all female race day, but I don't think the 'Let's put all the female racehorses on the less-important day' went over well. :P :lol:
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... y-program/
Diver52

Fri May 11, 2018 3:44 am

But Friday now is pretty ho-hum with just the juveniles, and three out of five less than compelling from a U.S. standpoint.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Flanders

Fri May 11, 2018 5:16 am

At least they moved the F/M Turf back to its original distance, 1 3/8 mile. It has changed constantly throughout its runnings though, having been run at 1 1/8, 1 3/16, 1 1/4, 1 3/8. But everytime its been held at Churchill Downs its 1 3/8.

The Turf Sprint has its distance changed all the time too. Being running at 5, 5 1/2 and about 6 1/2 furlongs.

I guess they change the distance because of track layouts?
peeptoad

Fri May 11, 2018 8:27 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The BC is shuffling the races around for their two-day meet. On Friday it will be all juveniles, while the Distaff and Dirt Mile get moved to Saturday. IIRC, they had tried making Friday a sort of all female race day, but I don't think the 'Let's put all the female racehorses on the less-important day' went over well. :P :lol:
IMHO this is the best change that's been made since the BC was expanded and made into a 2-day event. I've never been a proponent of the juvenile races, so moving them to day 1 leaves room for the more established horses to get more of the limelight on the feature day. It's also great that the Distaff is back on Saturday again.
bare it all

Fri May 11, 2018 10:16 am

As a spectator who can't just travel on a whim, I LOVE this idea. If I need to put my "expenses" for a trip in one basket and get the most bang for my buck, just going for the Saturday races makes a ton of sense.

As a bettor, I can't imagine any not jumping a bit at this idea as well. I've always like the "baby" races and having fairly unpredictable results (they are mostly unraced 2YOs) and large fields should make the wagering challenging.
Somnambulist

Fri May 11, 2018 10:24 am

peeptoad wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The BC is shuffling the races around for their two-day meet. On Friday it will be all juveniles, while the Distaff and Dirt Mile get moved to Saturday. IIRC, they had tried making Friday a sort of all female race day, but I don't think the 'Let's put all the female racehorses on the less-important day' went over well. :P :lol:
IMHO this is the best change that's been made since the BC was expanded and made into a 2-day event. I've never been a proponent of the juvenile races, so moving them to day 1 leaves room for the more established horses to get more of the limelight on the feature day. It's also great that the Distaff is back on Saturday again.
Amen. I don't have to take off work now.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Treve

Fri May 11, 2018 10:52 am

I echo everyone's sentiments, I think this is a good move.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

peeptoad

Fri May 11, 2018 11:41 am

Somnambulist wrote:
peeptoad wrote:
Amen. I don't have to take off work now.
That too. Booyah.
stark

Fri May 11, 2018 12:32 pm

From the desk of
Craig Fravel
President & CEO
Breeders Cup Limited

in conjunction with
Kevin Flanery
President, Churchill Downs Racetrack
Senior Vice President, Churchill Downs Incorporated

For immediate release:
Based on the response from various sources, including but not limited to the Thoroughbred Champions forum, Breeders Cup racing on Friday Nov 2nd will be cancelled due to a lack of interest.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri May 11, 2018 1:41 pm

While I love having the Distaff back on Big Saturday, I'll be watching the juvenile races on Friday with great interest. Last year's Juvenile and Juvenile Turf were seriously 'key' races, giving us good runners like Good Magic and Mendelssohn.
Treve

Fri May 11, 2018 2:55 pm

I like the juvenile races I like their unpredictability for the most part, but definitely if I'm in a situation where I'd have to pick just one day for one reason or another I'd go for Saturday, and watch Friday at home (for example)
And yeah who knew that the JT would have turned out to be such a key race for dirt runners?!
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

Kennedy

Fri May 11, 2018 3:17 pm

I am still bewildered by the Juvenile Turf Sprint.....but I love the idea to move all the juvenile races to Friday. I think it makes a nice logical grouping and gives the day a logical (and better) focus.

It may remove the ALL button from a few multi-race wagers on BC Saturday.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri May 11, 2018 4:44 pm

Lady Aurelia became such a star as a two-year-old turf sprinter that the BC may feel that there is interest in possibly seeing another one like her come along.
Flanders

Fri May 11, 2018 5:16 pm

Kennedy wrote:I am still bewildered by the Juvenile Turf Sprint.....but I love the idea to move all the juvenile races to Friday. I think it makes a nice logical grouping and gives the day a logical (and better) focus.

It may remove the ALL button from a few multi-race wagers on BC Saturday.
Yeah I don't understand the Juvenile Turf Sprint. Like the Juvenile Sprint had 2 runnings and with the last having 4 entries or something. If a dirt race can't even pull entries how the hell do they think that a turf version will? Who knows maybe it will become a success....
BaroqueAgain1

Fri May 11, 2018 5:25 pm

"...If a dirt race can't even pull entries how the hell do they think that a turf version will?"

Wesley Ward could probably fill half the gate. :lol:
PJMIII

Sun May 20, 2018 5:28 pm

Eleven to Line Up In Gran Premio Club Hipico Falabella

Don Alberto's 4-year-old homebred Nuevo Maestro—unbeaten in his last eight starts—Las Oaks (G1)-winning filly Penn Rose, and defending champion Top Casablanca lead a field of 11 starters entered in the $82,596 Gran Premio Club Hipico Falabella (G1) on turf May 21.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -falabella