Breeders’ Cup News & Notes- 2018

Treve

Fri May 11, 2018 10:52 am

I echo everyone's sentiments, I think this is a good move.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
peeptoad

Fri May 11, 2018 11:41 am

Somnambulist wrote:
peeptoad wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The BC is shuffling the races around for their two-day meet. On Friday it will be all juveniles, while the Distaff and Dirt Mile get moved to Saturday. IIRC, they had tried making Friday a sort of all female race day, but I don't think the 'Let's put all the female racehorses on the less-important day' went over well. :P :lol:
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the- ... y-program/
IMHO this is the best change that's been made since the BC was expanded and made into a 2-day event. I've never been a proponent of the juvenile races, so moving them to day 1 leaves room for the more established horses to get more of the limelight on the feature day. It's also great that the Distaff is back on Saturday again.
Amen. I don't have to take off work now.
That too. Booyah.
stark

Fri May 11, 2018 12:32 pm

From the desk of
Craig Fravel
President & CEO
Breeders Cup Limited

in conjunction with
Kevin Flanery
President, Churchill Downs Racetrack
Senior Vice President, Churchill Downs Incorporated

For immediate release:
Based on the response from various sources, including but not limited to the Thoroughbred Champions forum, Breeders Cup racing on Friday Nov 2nd will be cancelled due to a lack of interest.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri May 11, 2018 1:41 pm

While I love having the Distaff back on Big Saturday, I'll be watching the juvenile races on Friday with great interest. Last year's Juvenile and Juvenile Turf were seriously 'key' races, giving us good runners like Good Magic and Mendelssohn.
Treve

Fri May 11, 2018 2:55 pm

I like the juvenile races I like their unpredictability for the most part, but definitely if I'm in a situation where I'd have to pick just one day for one reason or another I'd go for Saturday, and watch Friday at home (for example)
And yeah who knew that the JT would have turned out to be such a key race for dirt runners?!
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Kennedy

Fri May 11, 2018 3:17 pm

I am still bewildered by the Juvenile Turf Sprint.....but I love the idea to move all the juvenile races to Friday. I think it makes a nice logical grouping and gives the day a logical (and better) focus.

It may remove the ALL button from a few multi-race wagers on BC Saturday.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri May 11, 2018 4:44 pm

Lady Aurelia became such a star as a two-year-old turf sprinter that the BC may feel that there is interest in possibly seeing another one like her come along.
Flanders

Fri May 11, 2018 5:16 pm

Kennedy wrote:I am still bewildered by the Juvenile Turf Sprint.....but I love the idea to move all the juvenile races to Friday. I think it makes a nice logical grouping and gives the day a logical (and better) focus.

It may remove the ALL button from a few multi-race wagers on BC Saturday.
Yeah I don't understand the Juvenile Turf Sprint. Like the Juvenile Sprint had 2 runnings and with the last having 4 entries or something. If a dirt race can't even pull entries how the hell do they think that a turf version will? Who knows maybe it will become a success....
BaroqueAgain1

Fri May 11, 2018 5:25 pm

"...If a dirt race can't even pull entries how the hell do they think that a turf version will?"

Wesley Ward could probably fill half the gate. :lol:
PJMIII

Sun May 20, 2018 5:28 pm

Eleven to Line Up In Gran Premio Club Hipico Falabella

Don Alberto's 4-year-old homebred Nuevo Maestro—unbeaten in his last eight starts—Las Oaks (G1)-winning filly Penn Rose, and defending champion Top Casablanca lead a field of 11 starters entered in the $82,596 Gran Premio Club Hipico Falabella (G1) on turf May 21.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -falabella
PJMIII

Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:20 am

Blue Prize Punches Breeders' Cup Ticket in Fleur de Lis

The Pure Prize mare gained an automatic berth to the Breeders' Cup Distaff (G1).

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... eur-de-lis
PJMIII

Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:55 am

Mikki Rocket gets jump on Werther in Breeders’ Cup WAYI Takarazuka Kinen

Mizuki Noda’s Mikki Rocket capitalized on a ground-saving trip, and first run, to deny Hong Kong celebrity Werther in Sunday’s $2.955 million Takarazuka Kinen (G1) at Hanshin. Under a well-judged ride by Ryuji Wada, the 12-1 chance earned his first Grade 1 laurel in the “Win and You’re In” for the Breeders’ Cup Turf (G1).

http://www.brisnet.com/content/2018/06/ ... uka-kinen/
PJMIII

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:14 am

Breeders' Cup Plans Hinge on Dwyer for Mendelssohn

Connections hope to get Scat Daddy colt back on track after Kentucky Derby (G1) loss.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... endelssohn
PJMIII

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:00 am

Nineteen to Line Up for Grande Premio Brasil

Brazilian group 1 is Breeders' Cup Challenge race for the Breeders' Cup Turf (G1T).

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... mio-brasil

--------------------
PJMIII

Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:46 am

July 15 Deadline For Discounted Breeders’ Cup Nominations Of Horses Of Racing Age

Owners of horses of racing age currently not nominated to the Breeders' Cup program can nominate their runners at discounted rates on or before Sunday, July 15 for competition in this year's Breeders' Cup World Championships, Nov. 2-3 at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky. All horses must be nominated in order to compete in any of the 14 Breeders' Cup World Championship races.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bree ... acing-age/
PJMIII

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:47 pm

Breeders’ Cup Announces Board Election Results

The Breeders' Cup today announced the election results to its Board of Directors by the 44 Breeders' Cup Members. Elliott Walden, WinStar Farm; Gavin Murphy, SF Bloodstock; Barbara Banke, Stonestreet Stables and Walker Hancock, Claiborne Farm were each elected to serve a four-year term. Ms. Banke and Mr. Walden were re-elected as Directors. William S. Farish, Jr., Lane's End Farm and Alex Solis II, Solis/Litt Bloodstock were each elected to serve a three-year term. Mr. Farish was re-elected as a Director. Dan Pride, Godolphin, was re-elected and will fill a one-year term. The terms were filled in descending order based upon the number of votes cast for each candidate.

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/peop ... n-results/
Mylute

Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:10 pm

Santa Anita Renames Gr.I Race for American Pharoah

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/ ... an_Pharoah

~ it's the Frontrunner (aka Norfolk). Posting this here since it's a win and you're in.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
peeptoad

Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:35 am

Kennedy wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:17 pm
I am still bewildered by the Juvenile Turf Sprint.....
Agreed, and now this race has a Win and a Your In prep at the upcoming SA meet in the Speakeasy S. which will be run at 5f. Does this mean they position the starting gate halfway down the hill? Don't think I've ever seen a 5f turf race at SA before.
stark

Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:43 pm

From DRF....

Catalina Cruiser, winner of the San Diego Handicap earlier in the meet, will remain at Del Mar for the Grade 2, $200,000 Pat O'Brien Stakes on Saturday, with trainer John Sadler saying it's the best option to move Catalina Cruiser along toward his intended year-end goal, the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile on Nov. 3 at Churchill Downs.

His regular rider, Drayden Van Dyke, has the mount.
stark

Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:45 am

Received this in e-mail from BreedersCup....

We've announced today that we'll be offering future wagers on the Breeders' Cup World Championship in three pools, beginning with Breeders’ Cup Classic and Longines Breeders’ Cup Distaff wagering opening on Friday, Aug. 24 at 12 p.m. ET. The Classic Future wager pool will conclude at 6 p.m. ET on Sunday, Aug. 26, and the Distaff Future wager pool will conclude at 6:30 p.m. ET on Sunday.
The second Breeders’ Cup Future Wager pool will include the Sentient Jet Breeders’ Cup Juvenile and the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Sire Future Wager, and will open on Aug. 31 and close on Sept. 2. The third and final Future Wager pools, scheduled to open on Oct. 5 and close on Oct. 7, will consist of the Breeders’ Cup Classic Future Wager #2 and the Longines Breeders’ Cup Turf. This is a $2 minimum win wager only.