Flops

Flops

Postby Diver52 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:36 am

I can't remember a BC with so many really disappointing performances from established good horses--Stellar Wind, Lady Eli, Lady Aurelia, Drefong, Unique Bella, to some extent Bolt d'Oro, and of course Arrogate. It was just rather deflating after last year's epic performances in the Distaff (Songbird v Beholder) and the Classic. One always hopes to see the best at their best. . .although "the best" is of course fluid. But the weather was great, DM handled the crowds well, and my only real complaint was that the BC merchandise was ugly on the women's side!
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Re: Flops

Postby Apollo » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:24 am

Very strange. I'd like to tee up the entire thing over again. I'm not sure I'll remember much of anything.
Apollo

Postby Forry Cow How » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:08 am

Lady Eli has an excuse. Her rear legs are cut up and her left hind was pulled off. Somebody ran up on her early. Dave Grening posted a picture of her back legs and said a vet was going to see if she needed stitches.

I haven't seen anything else about others. Friday was so formful and then yesterday you could have made a lot of money if you knew who to bet. I didn't.

Gabby Gaudet touted Bar of Gold, tho'. Wished I had bet her.
Forry Cow How

Postby Forry Cow How » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:08 am

Lady Eli has an excuse. Her rear legs are cut up and her left hind was pulled off. Somebody ran up on her early. Dave Grening posted a picture of her back legs and said a vet was going to see if she needed stitches.

I haven't seen anything else about others. Friday was so formful and then yesterday you could have made a lot of money if you knew who to bet. I didn't.

Gabby Gaudet touted Bar of Gold, tho'. Wished I had bet her.
Forry Cow How

Postby Rick1323 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:23 am

The venue was the biggest flop. The committees love affair with the west coast put racings biggest day on the flukiest surface in the country. My out lay was about a quarter of my usual BC play. Attendance looked decent, but I haven't seen the handle. In any case, I hope they never return.
Everyone come home sound.....
Rick1323

Postby Retrospectiv » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:51 am

Rick1323 wrote:The venue was the biggest flop. The committees love affair with the west coast put racings biggest day on the flukiest surface in the country. My out lay was about a quarter of my usual BC play. Attendance looked decent, but I haven't seen the handle. In any case, I hope they never return.

People complaining about the Del Mar surface being flooky.
I personally hated watching favourite after favourite win (and repeat) and Santa Anita. There was obviously a severe bias there the other year.

My mother commented on all the empty seats you could see during the telecast.

Which really leaves what West coast track as a level playing field?

God I'd love to see it moved somewhere else again. Not even mentioning staying up til 10PM to watch all the Classic post race stuff.....
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Retrospectiv

Postby Izvestia » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:48 am

I thought it was an awesome day! Just because the chalk didn't win and people's "favourites" didn't win, doesn't mean it was a let-down. I love seeing some variety in the results. I was sick of the speed bias at Santa Anita. We have some nice 2-year-olds to look forward to, some nice 3-year-olds that will become our older horses.
I thought Unique Bella and Stellar Wind were the biggest flops - UB trained so well, looked like a real beast coming into it. I do think she's better going longer with her high cruising speed.
I think training up to the race like Stellar Wind did, did not help her.

Next year is Churchill!
Izvestia

Postby Somnambulist » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:51 am

Izvestia wrote:I thought it was an awesome day! Just because the chalk didn't win and people's "favourites" didn't win, doesn't mean it was a let-down. I love seeing some variety in the results. I was sick of the speed bias at Santa Anita. We have some nice 2-year-olds to look forward to, some nice 3-year-olds that will become our older horses.
I thought Unique Bella and Stellar Wind were the biggest flops - UB trained so well, looked like a real beast coming into it. I do think she's better going longer with her high cruising speed.
I think training up to the race like Stellar Wind did, did not help her.

Next year is Churchill!

I agree. I enjoyed watching yesterday a lot.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Katewerk » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:51 am

I understand that different horses run better than others on different surfaces. What I don't understand is that a track would be blamed for a host of favourites "flopping". The ones that beat them were on the same track.
Katewerk

Postby Ballerina » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:54 am

Churchill's no day at the beach. Went there for one BC - 2007. Never again. I'll stick with good ol' Sofa Downs - no waiting to get into a bathroom, food is good and cheap, and no turkeys to put up with or should I say no turkeys up with which I do not have to put.
Ballerina

Next

Return to Racing