TBC Breeders Cup Watch Party/Discussion Thread

Re: TBC Breeders Cup Watch Party/Discussion Thread

Postby Macaroni » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:00 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Macaroni wrote:I haven't read up too much on what Juddmonte has said re: Arrogate's retirement, but is there any reason they choose now to retire him rather than retiring him after say, the Pegasus? Breeding season wouldn't even start til after that, right?

I read somewhere that they wanted to give him time to come down after his last race- I guess on the precedent of Chrome who apparently got a late start or something this year.

That makes sense. Though it may also be in their best interest to give him a shot at another win before retiring him. Oh well, womp womp, c'est la vie, etc. Was nice while it lasted.

Anyway, go Gun Runner! What a champ. Have been excited about him for a while, really looking forward to seeing his career continue (I assume?)
Macaroni

Postby Insane Crazy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:00 pm

Is GR slated to retire or are they open to a 5 year old season?
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Postby Treve » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:02 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:Is GR slated to retire or are they open to a 5 year old season?

not 100% sure on this but I recall comments that depending on how he finished out the year, another season wouldn't be out of the question and I seem to remember they for sure want to take a shot at the PWC.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby Macaroni » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:02 pm

Treve wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote:Is GR slated to retire or are they open to a 5 year old season?

not 100% sure on this but I recall comments that depending on how he finished out the year, another season wouldn't be out of the question and I seem to remember they for sure want to take a shot at the PWC.

Good timing on this question - they just said on NBC that his owners have been talking about racing him next year, def giving him a chance in the PWC. Yay!
Last edited by Macaroni on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macaroni

Postby Miss Woodford » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:03 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Guess this confirms that Arrogate really, really, REALLY hates Del Mar. :P Hate to see the big grey go out on such a low note. Which seem to be the BC theme this year. :(
Great run by the Gunner. So...does this earn him the HOTY title? Hard to believe, after Arrogate's stunning wins in the Pegasus and World Cup, that we would be talking about anyone else getting HOTY.

It just has to be Gun Runner. This is Horse of the Year, not Horse of the Spring. Arrogate won two races this year, two very big races but still just two, and wasn't the Pegasus counted for last year's Eclipse?

GR won the Stephen Foster, Whitney, Woodward, and now the Breeders Cup. With the west coasters beating each other up and Arrogate doing poorly much of the year, that's a HOTY campaign.
Miss Woodford

Postby Macaroni » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:05 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Guess this confirms that Arrogate really, really, REALLY hates Del Mar. :P Hate to see the big grey go out on such a low note. Which seem to be the BC theme this year. :(
Great run by the Gunner. So...does this earn him the HOTY title? Hard to believe, after Arrogate's stunning wins in the Pegasus and World Cup, that we would be talking about anyone else getting HOTY.

It just has to be Gun Runner. This is Horse of the Year, not Horse of the Spring. Arrogate won two races this year, two very big races but still just two, and wasn't the Pegasus counted for last year's Eclipse?

GR won the Stephen Foster, Whitney, Woodward, and now the Breeders Cup. With the west coasters beating each other up and Arrogate doing poorly much of the year, that's a HOTY campaign.

1) Not sure how this works, but my assumption is that "the year" means the calendar year, so the Pegasus would be counted in this year's accomplishments
2) Technically 1 win this year since the DWC doesn't technically count
3) Based on accomplishments, Gun Runner should probably win, but lest we forget the winners of previous years and how the system works - it often amounts more to voter favorites than merely accomplishment-based
Macaroni

Postby Insane Crazy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:06 pm

I feel like if GR goes to the Pegasus, he may as well race the rest of the year too. At least, I hope that's how it goes. Would love to see another season from him -- he's clearly peaking. What a fun Met Mile horse could be!

Talking about it with a friend, but....for all I can recall, did they even run the Derby this year? It took me 20 minutes to remember Cloud Computing's name. Oy vey. Viva la older horse!
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Postby CoronadosQuest » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:06 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:

No, Pegasus wouldnt have been last year's eclipse as the Pegasus was January 28th and the Eclipse Awards were Jan 27th haha
CoronadosQuest

Postby Treve » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:08 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:

The PWC was on January 28th, I don't think it would've counted for the Eclipse lol.
But I do think it will be Gun Runner, if you base on the number of total G1 wins, and the added weight of the BCC. He beat Arrogate and he beat the horse who beat Arrogate previously, and now finished ahead a second time of the big grey.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby tcw » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:10 pm

Horsebagger wrote:Gunrunner was huge, and ate all my tickets because i gave him no credit to get 10 furlongs against these.

Candy Ride is some stallion. Fee going up, i'm sure. (although I've been calling for it the past few years and it wasn't happening)

And he was some racehorse, Candy Ride that is. He was absolutely brilliant and could carry his speed a distance of ground. I still remember him blowing by MDO in the Pacific Classic - in fact, I believe he still holds the 80 year old track record for 10F at DMR, plus other records in his fairly brief career. He was also outstanding on grass.
tcw

PreviousNext

Return to Racing