BC Complaint Thread

Re: BC Complaint Thread

Postby firehorse » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:02 am

Had 2 great days at the track, my only complaint would be the lack of food choices available unless you made it to the infield which was quite a hike. It was packed today but everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.
firehorse

Postby Little Watermelon » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:06 pm

My wife and I went and we sat with friends from Saratoga there. Our seats were in the last row on the sixth floor, where you could see the whole track and the Pacific besides. I loved it. Hadn't been to Del Mar in 15 years. It was packed with people, but the fact that the facilities are small meant that you never knew you would run into. I saw Michael Tabor on the elevator up to the 6th floor and congratulated him on his win. Never spent any time in my seat, but spent a lot of time in the paddock, went over to the infield to watch the turf races, watched dirt races on the apron. If you go to the track on days like the BC or Belmont, I don't expect to see the race well, but just to enjoy the experience of being there.

The food choices out in the infield were excellent.On Saturday it was crowded, but Friday was really pleasant out there, had something to eat from one of the tents and talked to people. You could strike up a conversation with anyone, one of the most good-natured crowds I've experienced. Never had a problem getting a bet in either.

The plane coming back to Boston yesterday was half full of people who had attended the BC. I think that was a really special one, probably like Keeneland last year, that we didn't attend, and I'm glad my wife made the arrangements to go this year, as I was not particularly enthused about going, originally.

It may have not been a great event to watch on TV, but like firehorse said, everyone there seemed to be having a good time.
Little Watermelon

Postby middleground » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:54 pm

Little Watermelon wrote:My wife and I went and we sat with friends from Saratoga there. Our seats were in the last row on the sixth floor, where you could see the whole track and the Pacific besides. I loved it. Hadn't been to Del Mar in 15 years. It was packed with people, but the fact that the facilities are small meant that you never knew you would run into. I saw Michael Tabor on the elevator up to the 6th floor and congratulated him on his win. Never spent any time in my seat, but spent a lot of time in the paddock, went over to the infield to watch the turf races, watched dirt races on the apron. If you go to the track on days like the BC or Belmont, I don't expect to see the race well, but just to enjoy the experience of being there.

The food choices out in the infield were excellent.On Saturday it was crowded, but Friday was really pleasant out there, had something to eat from one of the tents and talked to people. You could strike up a conversation with anyone, one of the most good-natured crowds I've experienced. Never had a problem getting a bet in either.

The plane coming back to Boston yesterday was half full of people who had attended the BC. I think that was a really special one, probably like Keeneland last year, that we didn't attend, and I'm glad my wife made the arrangements to go this year, as I was not particularly enthused about going, originally.

It may have not been a great event to watch on TV, but like firehorse said, everyone there seemed to be having a good time.

Great post! I talked myself out of going this year, and now I regret it.
middleground

Postby Ballerina » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:21 pm

Little Watermelon wrote:It may have not been a great event to watch on TV,

Viewing from Sofa Downs was most enjoyable.
Ballerina

Postby Somnambulist » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:20 pm

San Diego is worth it for the tacos alone.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Apollo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:50 am

I'm sure I would have enjoyed it had I been there. I've experienced countless sporting events like that, primarily golf tournaments, ones that have been panned based on television coverage but when you are on premises there are so many sidelight variables like meeting people and seeing/overhearing things that the event itself almost becomes a bonus.
Apollo

Postby Diver52 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:56 am

Other than the results, my friend and I had a great time. We did the park and ride, which worked very well except for leaving on Saturday--but it was free! The best food was in the infield--that should have been better publicized--and other lines were manageable at least in the upper grandstand. The paddock was impossible but Santa Anita blocks off the saddling barn for VPs, so no worse. Weather was wonderful, made me remember why I love being a Californian. They did seem to install extra benches for the GA people. In some respects the intimacy of the smaller track worked--but overall I prefer SA for its space. Still, DM did a great job IMO.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby MR-W » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:08 pm

Originally I was not going to go and I live just 70 miles away. A friend of mine called me and said they had an extra ticket. She had not been to DM in over 20 years. I road the train which I had never done before and found it to be very comfortable and convenient. We had a great experience all day long. The wait for our food was very short and we were able to navigate around to either get in the front row in the paddock for every race or to get in good position to watch the races on the track. This was all with a general admission ticket. It was a zoo as we were leaving in the parking lot so we decided to walk to the train station which was 30 minutes max. There was a great brewery restaurant across from the station where we ate and drank a couple of IPA's. Off on the train I went.
I have to say that I was pessimistic going into this because of the DM facility itself. I was wrong! They did a very good job. Did I say that the high for the day was 69 degrees?
MR-W

Postby hadrianmarcus » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:22 pm

Having attended my share of Breeders Cups the last few years, I approached Del Mar being host with some trepidation. I had only been to the track once, last summer when Arrogate won an allowance race prior to the Travers. Overall, it was a very positive experience. The positives: I found the lines were short (at the vendors and betting windows). As a host, I felt they seemed more attentive to the crowd's needs than either Keeneland or Santa Anita. The weather was typical California. The place was clean, very clean, and I have to say the bathrooms were kept in amazingly good condition for such a major event. And for all the warnings about traffic, I thought they did a far, far superior job to Keeneland, in particular. And it seemed far easier to get to the walking ring for pictures. I probably got more great pictures from this venue than any other. Oh yes, and the event priority was racing and only racing, not a concert in the infield (looking at you, Santa Anita). Food lines were short and they didn't run out of food as early of other venues.

The negatives: Much like Keeneland, it felt like the crowd was limited to those with connections or lots of disposable income. Is there a place for typical racing degenerate at the BC anymore? The smaller the venue, the more the average Joe gets squeezed out. The food choices were limited, very limited. The crowded didn't seem as focused on the racing as much as 'the event'...Keeneland had a much more appreciative crowd and Santa Anita a broader mix of attendees. The merchandise was high end, in some cases really high end. The sightlines were far inferior to Keeneland or Santa Anita because there many things packed (or parked) in the infield. Friday, I had New Yorkers behind me losing their minds because of large trucks parked in the infield blocking the view of the track (I was on the third 'floor'). Saturday's infield seemed a but less cluttered. And lastly, the track dimensions seemed to play an effect on the results, with such tight turns and short stretch runs.

I had a great time. I strongly prefer warm weather venues...but I prefer Santa Anita to Del Mar. Californians are very easy going and accommodating. And I am grateful that I didn't die in my hotel in Escondido, although I suspect someone else may have. Having followed Gun Runner from his first workout...it was a happy day.
hadrianmarcus

Postby Senator L » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:05 pm

Had this in the wrong thread

Personally, I am going to start paying more attention to the jockey and his tendencies.
It affects the race more than anything else. I use to love Johny V on the turf and dislike Rosario. They haven't
changed a bit - just me. Johny is safe goes to the outside, in the garden spot and fires Rosario is more of a
daring swashbuckler type probably why C Fipke made a rider change. He made a safe, wise choice in not
taking any chances. Johny mailed the ride in on Bigger Picture. He tried to get position? Going 3 wide on a tight
turf course at a mile in a half and you don't even try to get to the fence? I'll bet Bigger Picture back next out.
The ride from Jose Ortiz on War Flag was a good C-. The old make one run, on the shortest turf stretch in NA trick
against the best horses in the world trick - NOT :(
Nice to get my rant out on my lousy wagering :D
No one has ever bet enough on a winning horse.
Richard Sasuly
Senator L

Previous

Return to Racing