Racing in Japan

lurkey mclurker

Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:42 pm

IMO he ran a bit rank off the layoff but Suave Richard did it, very good finish from Satono Diamond (good to see him back in form!) and Satono Noblesse surprised me with how well he hung on - I like him but thought he might fade.
G @LongBallToNoOne
10h 10 hours ago

Fuji TV Replay
G2 2000m Kinko Sho won by SUAVE RICHARD from SATONO NOBLESSE and SATONO DIAMOND
replay link until tachyon comes by with a better one :lol: : https://twitter.com/fujitvkeiba/status/ ... 2331576320

tachyon

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:20 am

''Godolphin silks to appear for first time in Japan''

https://news.godolphin.com/news/godolph ... time-japan
From Saturday, 17 March 2018, all horses currently racing in the JRA in the name of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, will race in the name of Godolphin. The racing silks carried in Japan will change to royal blue with a darker blue band on the sleeve.

Godolphin has evolved over the past 30-plus years into the world’s foremost international horseracing stable and breeding operation and their horses have won many of the world's most famous races.

There will be no change in the ownership of horses racing on the NAR circuit.

As with all of Sheikh Mohammed’s stallions around the world, Darley will remain as the brand under which they are promoted and through which nominations will be purchased.

Harry Sweeney, President of Godolphin in Japan said, “We are excited in Japan to become part of the Godolphin family in 2018. His Highness Sheikh Mohammed has an enormous respect for Japanese racing and we look forward to seeing the blue silks competing in Japan”.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:59 pm

Maybe there's something weird about the way light is reflecting off the arm band in that photo, but the band appears to be LIGHTER, not a darker blue. :?
tachyon

Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:32 am

Here's the first G1 winner for the Royal Blue silk in Japan!!

Darley Japan bred Fine Needle(JPN), 2013H. Admire Moon(JPN) x Needle Craft(IRE) by Mark of Esteem(IRE), won the G1 Takamatsunomiya Kinen 1200m turf at Chukyo for Godolphin on March 25th 2018.

-- replay (English) <--- JRA started to share English call videos for G1s on its youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eia-aTXilQ4&t=13s
1st. #9 Fine Needle(JPN) H5 Admire Moon(JPN)
2nd. #8 Let's Go Donki(JPN) M6 King Kamehameha(JPN) x Marutoku(JPN) by Marvelous Sunday(JPN)
3rd. #7 Nac Venus(JPN) M5 Daiwa Major(JPN) x Ready to Please(USA) by More Than Ready(USA)

''History made as Fine Needle wins Japan’s G1 Takamatsunomiya Kinen''
https://news.godolphin.com/news/history ... miya-kinen
----------------
Harry Sweeney, President of Godolphin in Japan, reported: “That was very exciting and it is fantastic to have a G1 winner in Fine Needle.

“We were watching just beyond the winning line and were not sure he had won or not until seeing a replay.

“It is a big day for Godolphin and Darley in Japan as we formally switched silks from the red and white to Godolphin’s last weekend.

“We will see how Fine Needle is before making plans for the future. There are limited opportunities for top sprinters in Japan – there isn’t another G1 here until the autumn.

“He has an entry in the G1 Chairman's Sprint Prize (6f turf Sha Tin) in Hong Kong on April 29 and there is a good chance he could go for that race all being well.”
Admire Moon(JPN) (End Sweep)
standing at Darley Japan
http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0000760877/
Treve

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:17 pm

I wasn't sure where else to put this... but a while back I saw a trailer for a game called "Umamusume: Pretty Derby". It has been adapted into an anime which premiered April 1st.
At the time I didn't know what kind of game it would be like but since I recently found out about the show I am giving the first two episodes a watch. What I did find out prior to watching via wiki is that all the horse girls are named after and based on famous Japanese race horses. I recognized about half to 3/4 of the names.
The main character is Special Week, and on her first day heading for the training academy she attends a race won by Silence Suzuka. One thing I'm noticing so far is the attention to detail - Silence Suzuka is a redhead and wears a white headband with green ears and a little decorative green and yellow ball - which I immediately recognised:

Similarly, Special Week has dark brown hair and a streak of white in her bangs (I assume to reference the blaze) and wears purple and white hair accessories.
They also replicated/respected Silence Suzuka's run style in the first race they've shown so far!

The concept is a little bit odd, but anyway I thought it was a cute nod to Japanese legends of the turf.
Also slated to appear in the series :

Tōkai Teiō (トウカイテイオー)
Vodka (ウオッカ Uokka)
Air Groove (エアグルーヴ Ea Gurūvu)
El Condor Pasa (エルコンドルパサー Eru Kondoru Pasā)
Oguri Cap (オグリキャップ Oguri Kyappu)
Grass Wonder (グラスワンダー Gurasu Wandā)
Gold Ship (ゴールドシップ Gōrudo Shippu) (Kinda looking forward
Symboli Rudolf (シンボリルドルフ Shinbori Rudorufu)
Taiki Shuttle (タイキシャトル Taiki Shatoru)
Daiwa Scarlet (ダイワスカーレット Daiwa Sukāretto)
T.M. Opera Ō (テイエムオペラオー Tei Emu Operaō)
Narita Brian (ナリタブライアン Narita Buraian)
Hishi Amazon (ヒシアマゾン)
Fuji Kiseki (フジキセキ)
Maruzensky (マルゼンスキー Maruzensukī)
Mejiro McQueen (メジロマックイーン Mejiro Makkuīn)
Seiun Sky (セイウンスカイ Seiun Sukai)
Yukino Bijin (ユキノビジン)
Winning Ticket (ウイニングチケット Uiningu Chiketto)
Tamamo Cross (タマモクロス Tamamo Kurosu)
Seeking the Pearl (シーキングザパール Shīkingu Za Pāru)
Manhattan Cafe (マンハッタンカフェ Manhattan Kafe)
Tosen Jordan (トーセンジョーダン Tōsen Jōdan)
Haru Urara (ハルウララ)
Kawakami Princess (カワカミプリンセス Kawakami Purinsesu)
Mejiro Ryan (メジロライアン Mejiro Raian)
Matikanefukukitaru (マチカネフクキタル Machikanefukukitaru)
Fine Motion (ファインモーション Fain Mōshon)
Smart Falcon (スマートファルコン Sumāto Farukon)
Narita Taishin (ナリタタイシン)
Air Shakur (エアシャカール Ea Shakāru)
Gold City (ゴールドシチー Gōrudo Shichī)
Super Creek (スーパークリーク Sūpā Kurīku)
Inari One (イナリワン Inari Wan)
Nishino Flower (ニシノフラワー Nishino Furawā)
Biko Pegasus (ビコーペガサス Bikō Pegasasu)
Hishi Akebono (ヒシアケボノ)
Bamboo Memory (バンブーメモリー Banbū Memorī)
Marvelous Sunday (マーベラスサンデー Māberasu Sandē)
Mihono Bourbon (ミホノブルボン Mihono Burubon)
Sweep Tosho (スイープトウショウ Suīpu Toushou)
Ines Fujin (アイネスフウジン Ainesu Fūjin)
Biwa Hayahide (ビワハヤヒデ)
Sakura Bakushin O (サクラバクシンオー Sakura Bakushin'ō)
Shinko Windy (シンコウウインディ Shinkou Uindi)
Agnes Tachyon (アグネスタキオン Agunesu Takion)
Zenno Rob Roy (ゼンノロブロイ Zen'no Robu Roi)
Meisho Doto (メイショウドトウ Meishō Dotō)
Rice Shower (ライスシャワー Raisu Shawā)
Admire Vega (アドマイヤベガ Adomaiya Bega)
Curren Chan (カレンチャン Karen Chan)
Agnes Digital (アグネスデジタル Agunesu Dejitaru)
Eishin Flash (エイシンフラッシュ Eishin Furasshu)
Nakayama Festa (ナカヤマフェスタ Nakayama Fesuta)
Mayano Top Gun (マヤノトップガン Mayano Toppu Gan)
Mejiro Dober (メジロドーベル Mejiro Dōberu)
Nice Nature (ナイスネイチャ Naisu Neicha)
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
lurkey mclurker

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:30 pm

Ooooooh I have been jones-ing for a new anime to watch, I will look for this one! How fun! :mrgreen:
Treve

Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:13 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:Ooooooh I have been jones-ing for a new anime to watch, I will look for this one! How fun! :mrgreen:
After watching the first two eps I love it! I'm gaga about all the details! A lot of them are blink-and-you'll-miss references but for example at one point they're touring the academy and you see Hishi Amazon yelling into a hollow log to blow some steam off in frustration from losing. Right beside her you see Narita Brian laying in the grass looking satisfied (whom of course in real life, Hishi Amazon lost the Arima Kinen to). They even have El Condor Pasa introducing herself as an American girl :D
Special Week ends up on the same training team as Gold Ship, Daiwa Scarlet, Vodka and Silence Suzuka which I think will be a fun cast of main characters.
There's also Symboli Rudolf introduced as a triple crown winner and the president of the student council. Interesting to note they bring attention to the school's official motto: Eclipse First and the rest nowhere.

The anime is up on Crunchyroll for easy access if not I'm sure it should be online with subs soonish.
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

lurkey mclurker

Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:30 pm

I've got time for Crunchyroll later this afternoon/evening around hockey, woot! And watching Bird Town. :lol:
Squeaky

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:01 pm

Anyone have a link to video of Le Vent’s last race? When is he racing next? I bet he needed this last race and I hope he wins next time! Always been a favorite.
SSilence86

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:05 pm

Squeaky wrote:Anyone have a link to video of Le Vent’s last race? When is he racing next? I bet he needed this last race and I hope he wins next time! Always been a favorite.

https://www.keibanomiryoku.com/article/ ... html?amp=1
Squeaky

Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Thank you. Unfortunately, I could not get video to play.
SSilence86

Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:41 pm

Squeaky

Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:55 pm

Thank you! He was closing fast and galloped our past the winner. Any idea when/ where he’ll run next?
SSilence86

Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:09 pm

Squeaky wrote:Thank you! He was closing fast and galloped our past the winner. Any idea when/ where he’ll run next?
At this time it's not clear. I'm not sure if they're going to prep him and bring him over for the Belmont or keep him home with a possible campaign towards the BC.
tachyon

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:15 pm

tachyon wrote:
tachyon wrote: -- Best Two-Year-Old Filly:

Lucky Lilac(JPN) 2015F. Orfevre(JPN) x Lilacs and Lace(USA) by Flower Alley(USA)
1 Lucky Lilac(JPN) 290 (unanimous)

Lucky Lilac(JPN) has made a winning sophomore debut in the G2 Tulip Sho 1600m turf at Hanshin on March 3rd 2018, extending her unbeaten record to 4 for 4.
She will definitely be sent off the favorite in the G1 Oka Sho (Japanese 1000 Guneas) in April, as she looks even bigger and stronger than last year.

-- replay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnzT_ReB_DY
1st. (#5) Lucky Lilac(JPN) (Orfevre x Lilacs and Lace, by Flower Alley)
2nd. (#4) Mau Lea(JPN) (Deep Impact x Buy the Cat, by Storm Cat)
3rd.(9) Lily Noble(JPN) (Rulership x Pure Chaplet, by Kurofune)

Lucky Lilac(JPN) is set to run as the favorite in the G1 Oka Sho (Japanese 1000 Guineas) today.
Can she become the first 2yo champion & undefeated filly to win the Oka Sho in 61 years?
Major concerns are her post position #1 and her jockey who lacks in the experience.
There has been no filly who won this race from the rail since 1994 and no horse who finished in quinella since 2007 after the renovation of Hanshin Course.
And a lot of talented fillies will try to beat her, of course.
Treve

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:18 pm

Rooting for Lucky Lilac to beat history, but I wouldn't be mad if Dernier Or came in strong!
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

tachyon

Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:50 am

Almond Eye(JPN) wins the Oka Sho in the record time.
What a filly!!
tachyon

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:16 am

Almond Eye(JPN) is the first G1 winner for his sire Lord Kanaloa(JPN).
tachyon

Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:51 am

-- replay (Japanese)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe0BZUMFW0k
1st 13 Almond Eye(JPN) [Lord Kanaloa(JPN) x Fusaichi Pandora(JPN) x Sunday Silence(USA)] F3 55 01:33.1 (record)
2nd 1 Lucky Lilac(JPN) [Orfevre(JPN) x Lilacs and Lace(USA) by Flower Alley(USA)] F3 55 01:33.4 1 3/4
3rd 9 Lily Noble(JPN) [Rulership(JPN) x Pure Chaplet(JPN) by Kurofune(USA)] F3 55 01:33.5 1/2
4th 7 Tosen Bless(JPN) F3 55 01:33.8 1 3/4
5th 17 Mau Lea(JPN) F3 55 01:33.8 NS
6th 3 Liberty Heights(JPN) F3 55 01:33.8 NS
7th 5 Red Sakuya(JPN) F3 55 01:33.8 NS
8th 6 Scarlet Color(JPN) F3 55 01:33.8 NK
9th 18 Tsuzumimon(JPN) F3 55 01:33.8 NS
10th 15 Primo Scene(JPN) F3 55 01:34.0 1 1/4
11th 4 Encore Plus(JPN) F3 55 01:34.3 2
12th 16 Finift(JPN) F3 55 01:34.5 1 1/2
13th 12 Dernier Or(JPN) F3 55 01:34.6 NK
14th 8 Harlem Line(JPN) F3 55 01:34.6 NK
15th 14 Red Regnant(JPN) F3 55 01:34.7 1/2
16th 11 Cordierite(JPN) F3 55 01:35.1 2 1/2
17th 10 Aonbharr(JPN) F3 55 01:35.2 3/4
2 Amalfi Coast(JPN) F3 55 S

Almond Eye(JPN)
http://www.jbis.jp/horse/0001203363/
4-3-1-0

I have just reviewed the replay.
Lemaire didn't use his whip to fly past the rivals.
Lemaire said after the race that his horse would win the Triple Tiara.
Nice to see young stallions do well, too.
Treve

Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:38 pm

Wow! That move was reminiscent of the type of Last to First moves Special Week was capable of (and also the Last to First moves I sometimes make playing Champion Jockey :lol: )
Kind of a heartbreaker for Lucky Lilac she nailed her at the last second but Almond eye is a spectacular filly!
Tachyon do you know if they will point to the Yushun Himba?
A filly named Ruffian...

Kincsem nevű kanca...