Keeneland News & Notes

Keeneland News & Notes

Postby PJMIII » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:55 am

Keeneland Fall Meet Accentuated by Special Events

While world-class Thoroughbred racing takes center stage during Keeneland's Fall Meet, to be held Oct. 6-28, Keeneland serves the local community by hosting a number of charitable and festive events. Not only do these special events accentuate an exciting afternoon at the races, they carry on the founding mission of philanthropic giving that has been a part of Keeneland for more than 80 years.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ial-events
PJMIII

Re: Keeneland News & Notes

Postby OaklawnCapper » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:47 pm

:D :D I always enjoy the Keeneland meets!
OaklawnCapper

Postby stark » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Some of the heavy hitters at the windows are promising a boycott due to the recent hike in takeout fees.

Will lower handle be readily noticeable?

Might there be better odds available for the general public?

Do protests/boycotts/strikes ever work in favor?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Forry Cow How » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:18 am

stark wrote:Some of the heavy hitters at the windows are promising a boycott due to the recent hike in takeout fees.

Will lower handle be readily noticeable?

Might there be better odds available for the general public?

Do protests/boycotts/strikes ever work in favor?

Maybe?

"For the first 6 months immediately following the takeout increase at Los Alamitos in 2010 on track handle was down 27%.

Horseplayers boycotted Santa Anita and Golden Gate in the early months of 2011 as a result of takeout increases there. Instead of bigger purses the result was purse cuts and layoffs. In October, 2011 the local paper in Arcadia, CA where Santa Anita is located reported Santa Anita was cutting one third of its staff.

Churchill had a takeout increase for their spring 2014 meet. Handle fell by 25% outside of the Derby and Maggi Moss reported on her Twitter account that Churchill had quietly announced a 20% purse cut for their fall 2014 meet.
Forry Cow How

Postby stark » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:23 pm

Serious question.....do you think these actions help or hurt horse racing in general in the long run?
http://www.drf.com/news/bettors-group-c ... -keeneland

LEXINGTON, Ky. - The head of a group that has organized boycotts of racetracks in the past urged horseplayers Thursday to avoid betting on races at Keeneland Racecourse in Lexington, Ky., because of the track’s decision to raise its takeout rates for the fall meet.

“Join us by not betting one track – Keeneland – for one month – October, 2017,” a notice on the HANA website and an affiliated website, playersboycott.org, stated. “That’s it. Together we can convince Keeneland to reverse their decision.”
stark

Postby Forry Cow How » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:28 pm

stark wrote:Serious question.....do you think these actions help or hurt horse racing in general in the long run?
http://www.drf.com/news/bettors-group-c ... -keeneland

LEXINGTON, Ky. - The head of a group that has organized boycotts of racetracks in the past urged horseplayers Thursday to avoid betting on races at Keeneland Racecourse in Lexington, Ky., because of the track’s decision to raise its takeout rates for the fall meet.

“Join us by not betting one track – Keeneland – for one month – October, 2017,” a notice on the HANA website and an affiliated website, playersboycott.org, stated. “That’s it. Together we can convince Keeneland to reverse their decision.”

I don't know. Belmont has short fields and California has been plagued by short fields. That bothers me as a bettor. No value. Of course, higher take out reduces my winnings. Boycotting creates more short fields and loss of jobs. Hmm.... Seems like a Catch-22.

Sometimes I wonder if I should just take what I would have spent on a P6 and buy lottery scratch-off tickets.

I am NOT a big bettor, but I play often enough. I wonder what the big bettors think?
Forry Cow How

Postby stark » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:40 pm

Forry Cow How wrote:Of course, higher take out reduces my winnings.

Lets start with just the notion for a small player that higher takeout reduces your winnings. In the olde set of rules a $2 exacta that pays $50 will now pay about $48.50. Are you really going to quit playing one of the premier events in the country because of that? As I understand pari-mutual gamblin, Ken Ramsey can influence your payoff way more than the takeout can. All it takes is Ramsey, or somebody like him, to walk up to the windows and ask for a couple hundred dollar ice-cold exacta and your payoff is going to come back short and you have absolutely no control, so get over it.

I guess what I really don't like about HANA, or any organization, is that they try to influence my vote through sit down strikes in the streets amongst busy traffic, or sign holders waving to me that a business in non-union, or pickets telling me they aren't getting paid enough at their jobs. Senseless.

Let me figure it out on my own and I will act accordingly. If I discover that the markup at Nordstroms is too high for me, I might look to Costco for better pricing, but that's a tough choice to make when everything is factored in, very similar to horse racing. Give me 5% takeout all day every day at Cantebury Downs and I'll play golf.

I don't like people telling me I'm stupid for playing Keeneland, they might not like it, but stupid I ain't.
Before you know it this life will be over and I don't want to miss it.
stark

Postby Forry Cow How » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:50 pm

stark wrote:
Forry Cow How wrote:Of course, higher take out reduces my winnings.

Lets start with just the notion for a small player that higher takeout reduces your winnings. In the olde set of rules a $2 exacta that pays $50 will now pay about $48.50. Are you really going to quit playing one of the premier events in the country because of that? As I understand pari-mutual gamblin, Ken Ramsey can influence your payoff way more than the takeout can. All it takes is Ramsey, or somebody like him, to walk up to the windows and ask for a couple hundred dollar ice-cold exacta and your payoff is going to come back short and you have absolutely no control, so get over it.

I guess what I really don't like about HANA, or any organization, is that they try to influence my vote through sit down strikes in the streets amongst busy traffic, or sign holders waving to me that a business in non-union, or pickets telling me they aren't getting paid enough at their jobs. Senseless.

Let me figure it out on my own and I will act accordingly. If I discover that the markup at Nordstroms is too high for me, I might look to Costco for better pricing, but that's a tough choice to make when everything is factored in, very similar to horse racing. Give me 5% takeout all day every day at Cantebury Downs and I'll play golf.

I don't like people telling me I'm stupid for playing Keeneland, they might not like it, but stupid I ain't.
Before you know it this life will be over and I don't want to miss it.

Ha! You just don't want to be told what to do or not to do. And that I agree with. Do what you want and I will do what I want.

I don't play Keeneland anyway. I usually play the NY circuit. No Canterbury either. LOL
Forry Cow How

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:24 pm

If previous boycotts by gamblers had a negative effect on a track's handle, what happened after that? Did the take-out decrease?
If not, then IMHO, all that those boycotts did was harm the tracks' income...and that can't be good for our sport. If your actions actually have a negative effect on the sport in which you participate, isn't that a BAD THING? :?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby stark » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:45 pm

stark

Return to Racing