How Much Does She Weigh?

Re: How Much Does She Weigh?

Postby Admin » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:00 pm

I think this is great. I've wondered before why this isn't done. I do think that there could be some value when you see a horse has lost considerable weight, for example. I also just think it's interesting and imparts some knowledge. Most will soon learn that there aren't really that many 1300 pound racehorses out there. Now, if they'd just measure their height too, then we could teach that 17 hand horses are really fairly unusual. :)
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Charlie » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:14 pm

I feel this is only valuable to compare a horse to itself. You could never use this to compare horse A to horse B, but it could be very insightful to compare a horse to itself and their condition. Can you imagine how people will add this factor into their KD picks? I can't wait! :D

I remember someone saying(Donna maybe?) Super Saver looked like he lost weight in between the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness and he ran pretty terrible, like a horse not conditioned for the race, if I remember.

I think if used correctly within the right context weight can tell you a lot about the condition of the horse. I also think it is cool they are getting more open with horses information.
Charlie

Postby stark » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:48 pm

Anybody know if Equibase/DRF Past Performances will start including weight somewhere?

As mentioned here, the value lies in comparing the changes for any particular horse and what does today's weight of 1100 pounds represent in terms of change from prior races?

p.s. I'll trade all of the weight info for surgical procedure info, eg Entrapped Epiglottis, let me know that before the race and I'll be most appreciative!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Previous

Return to Racing