How Much Does She Weigh?

How Much Does She Weigh?

Postby stark » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:28 pm

Starting on Friday at Santa Anita, each horse will be weighed in the receiving barn before going to the saddling area.

Then, a complete listing of each horse's weight will be provided for public consumption before the post parade!

Any value for you?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Re: How Much Does She Weigh?

Postby Diver52 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:34 pm

It might have some value once there are enough figures to track fluctuations.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:35 pm

While watching racing from Sha Tin in Hong Kong, I noticed that the analysts talked about the runners' weights. Hong Kong apparently has been weighing their racehorses for some time, and making the figures public. That lets you monitor whether a horse coming back from a layoff is getting into shape, or whether someone is losing weight, which might indicate a horse isn't thriving.
How is Santa Anita going to make the weights public? Will there be a print-out, maybe as part of a program? Or will the track announcer just tell fans what each horse weighs in the post parade? :?
If you're going to keep track of fluctuations from week to week, I'd think you would need those weights available at all times, either in print (DRF?) or maybe online?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby stark » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:51 pm

For the life of me I can't figure out how I would include this information in my handicapping.

The night before I've watched all the replays, calculated speed figures, checked notes regarding workouts, determined fair value etc etc etc. and to think I might change my mind at post time because my horse is 50 pounds more or less than last time?

It's kinda like a horse adding front wraps that you don't see until the post parade, at some point you have to handicap the trainer/owner and what they're trying to do in this spot today. I learned a very long time ago from CharlieW that wraps aren't necessarily a bad thing, sometimes it's just part of "claiming poker" and the gambler has to learn what motivates trainers and what they're strong at.

But weight, geesh, I'm gonna say that if Mandella sends out an over/under weight horse he knows what he's doing and I trust him, whereas AC Avila is another story.

stark

Postby roxyllsk » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:28 pm

Laying eyes on a horse will tell you more about if they are thriving or not than their actual weight. Horse A at 1000 lbs can look a heck of a lot different than Horse B at the same weight.
roxyllsk

Postby Tessablue » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:35 pm

I love it. Completely useless as a first measurement, completely useless for making comparisons between horses, and I wouldn't use it for betting at all until trends have been found and established, but I love the idea of being able to track one horse's condition over time and correlate performance with condition. Horse comes back off a layoff 20 pounds heavier than they were before? Horse runs in the next race back at a normal weight? Good stuff!

More importantly, I could finally put together the weight vs. weight carried study I've been dreaming of for years...
Tessablue

Postby WaquoitNBroadBrush » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:01 pm

Greyhound racing has always included the dogs' weight in its programs and past performances. Does losing a pound or two between races mean more for a 70-pound dog than it does for a 1,000-pound horse? Do dog players see weight fluctuations as an important handicapping factor? I've only dabbled in greyhound betting, so I have no idea on that.
WaquoitNBroadBrush

Postby Treve » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:09 pm

The Japanese report weight as well. I think more information is always better in this instance.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby bare it all » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:45 pm

I think the information is pertinent only if you follow a particular horse through a campaign and perhaps more useful when races are scheduled closer together instead of the months that go by for american horse campaigns.

ie, for say the US Triple Crown races. Seeing the Horse A dropped 25lbs between the Derby and the Preakness would indicate the race took more out of the horse than say Horse B who maintained or even gained 10lbs. When a horse is in peak condition, you shouldn't see the weigh fluctuate much.
bare it all

Postby stark » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:21 pm

Remington Park, Japan or Santa Anita......first person to post a winning ticket with their explanation crediting weight information as the key to success wins a prize, and yes redboarding will be allowed!

Thanks and Good Luck.
stark

Next

Return to Racing