RIP Penny Chenery

Re: RIP Penny Chenery

Postby bare it all » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:43 am

Very sad to lose her but what a wonderful life she lived.

I suppose the title of grand dame of racing is now Mrs MaryLou. I believe she's a 1925 model, herself.
bare it all

Postby Catalina » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:56 am

Sparrow Castle wrote:What a legacy she leaves, but very sad to hear this. She was truly a remarkable lady. RIP Penny Chenery, you did well.

She did indeed. RIP Penny Chenery.
Catalina

Postby clocker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:43 pm

In 2013, she "confessed" to some truly awful things about the stable's treatment of Secretariat around the time of the Whitney loss. They basically were scandalous condemnations of Lucien and herself.

I put the word "confessed" in quotes deliberately because I never believed them to be true.

As a person who took care of his own mom for 7 years during her decline until she passed away at 94, I understand the thoughts of beautiful but aging people like Penny. They become very self-sacrificing to the point of making things up. I never believed what she said in her interview, and that is not a knock. She loved her horse and tried to protect his reputation, simple as that.
clocker

Postby Katewerk » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:19 pm

clocker wrote:In 2013, she "confessed" to some truly awful things about the stable's treatment of Secretariat around the time of the Whitney loss. They basically were scandalous condemnations of Lucien and herself.

I put the word "confessed" in quotes deliberately because I never believed them to be true.

As a person who took care of his own mom for 7 years during her decline until she passed away at 94, I understand the thoughts of beautiful but aging people like Penny. They become very self-sacrificing to the point of making things up. I never believed what she said in her interview, and that is not a knock. She loved her horse and tried to protect his reputation, simple as that.

Is the interview still available?
Katewerk

Postby TouchOfGrey » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:28 pm

Sean Clancy's Penny Chenery memory:

My Summer Rental with Penny Chenery

Only in Saratoga! :)
TouchOfGrey

Postby barbaro111 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:11 pm

TouchOfGrey wrote:Sean Clancy's Penny Chenery memory:

My Summer Rental with Penny Chenery