Del Mar Futurity (G1) - 09/04/17

Re: Del Mar Futurity (G1) - 09/04/17

Postby Northport » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:54 pm

I thought the name Ruis sounded familiar, didn't know he was training now. They've certainly had some good luck at Del Mar!
weeeeeeeee
Northport

Postby Treve » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:10 pm

Northport wrote:I thought the name Ruis sounded familiar, didn't know he was training now. They've certainly had some good luck at Del Mar!

He was originally a trainer which is why he was supportive of his daughter but then they split from what I recall.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Postby Diver52 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:07 pm

It may be worth noting that Zatter came back on 15 days' rest (and St Patrick's Day on 13!) which isn't ideal these days, but Baffert presumably had the Frontrunner in mind for both and had to go for it. Bolt d'Oro had 4 weeks and a day IIRC. As soon as I took a good look at Run Away in the paddock and saw that chunky engine, I thought "sprinter!" I wouldn't count on him going on--not that every horse has to be a classicist.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Diver52

Postby Northport » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:45 pm

Treve wrote:
Northport wrote:I thought the name Ruis sounded familiar, didn't know he was training now. They've certainly had some good luck at Del Mar!

He was originally a trainer which is why he was supportive of his daughter but then they split from what I recall.

Ah... didn't know he trained before. I just thought he was a very very very supportive non-horsey dad who helped get Shelbe's business off the ground. The whole split between them was bizarre/unfortunate.
weeeeeeeee
Northport

Postby Curtis » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:02 am

Northport wrote:
Treve wrote:

Ah... didn't know he trained before. I just thought he was a very very very supportive non-horsey dad who helped get Shelbe's business off the ground. The whole split between them was bizarre/unfortunate.

I think he was the trainer all along, it was just her name in the program.
Curtis

Postby Treve » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:20 am

Curtis wrote:
Northport wrote:
Treve wrote:

I think he was the trainer all along, it was just her name in the program.

you could be right, I remember being under the impression that the reasons for the split were "professional differences" i.e. Shelbe wanting to do her own thing, while her father kept trying to control everything.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Treve

Previous

Return to Racing